IDOC event October 1st

Keep track of this topic. All announcements and short-term rules will be written here.
+Colibri
Administrator

IDOC event October 1st

Post by +Colibri »

Another big earthquake is upon us! Houses of inactive houses will fall, in scientific terms known as "when's the next IDOC?".

Saturday, October 1st, at 23:00 shard time. This means 7pm SATURDAY US eastern, 1AM *SUNDAY* for Europeans, and around 9am Sunday for Australians.

I've just sent emails out to players who have added their email address into the [account menu. If you have any friends who's house is in a decaying status, let them know to refresh it. Note to you, the reader: if you want to be reminded when the houses fall next time, type [account and enter your email.

When a house is destroyed, the items inside drop to the ground and can be taken by anyone. Note that some items get wiped, such as currency, and stuff that's on the vendor stones (e.g. what's in the deco room, personal vendors...) are wiped. The house leaves an outline that is protected from placing houses, so it's not possible to swipe the area right away or to prevent others from walking around and taking items. All items decay after about 2 hours (since items decay every world save, but only those that have been on the ground.

For those of you who will explore the land in search of IDOC houses. There are houses with the status of "This structure is greatly worn", many of these houses will probably become IDOC 10 days from now (240 hours), that's on Friday September 30th around noon shard time. Because the owners are still able to refresh the house. Also keep in mind that if the owner logs in a few minutes before the house drop, the house is refreshed and won't drop.
+Colibri, Administrator of UO Excelsior Shard

Don't know what the purpose of your life is? Well then make something up! ;)
(Old Colibrian proverb)
+Colibri
Administrator

Re: IDOC event October 1st

Post by +Colibri »

Saving the beautiful houses!

Cerrera has submitted an idea that we could save the houses that are exceptionally well decorated, and submitted Keth'laa's house as example.

Many years ago, we have exempted some houses from falling. There's JesterJay's estates which are very well decorated (this is back from the time when GM-assisted decorating was allowed), there's the first ever rune house by a player who's name I can't remember right now, but it was managed by a husband and wife. And there might be another one or two such buildings.

I'm thinking, anyone who notices a beautiful house could submit it, and we add it to the poll. The most beautiful house voted by the community is granted the Ageless status (doesn't decay). Plus perhaps any additional ones, at my discretion (perhaps even a committee of somesort, as long as we stay clear of any one player or a tight group of players being able to saving ugly houses of their friends).

House of Keth'laa is located in Maral around 94° N, 47° W. I've put up a temporary linked gate to it, of yellow color, just a few steps away from the Lord British Castle public teleporter.

If you see any other house that's very nice, and is "In danger of collapse" or "Greatly worn" status, you can submit it here as a reply or send a ticket in-game.

(Old Colibrian proverb)
Wil
Legendary Scribe

Post by Wil »

Can we still have the "saved" houses IDOC in the sense that all containers go public, making them lootable? Otherwise the holder of the still-active account could log in months from now and still have all their stuff.
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

In a way that could be a good reward for having a very well decorated house.

Other than that, I'd have to manually release the containers, or upgrade the code that would somehow release just the containers (but then, some containers are part of the design, so it would probably have to be done part manually in any case).

But I like the idea that every IDOC event, one good decorator gets their houses turned into Ageless, permanently safe. (however, if the design is significantly altered, the houses are turned back into normal ones).

(Old Colibrian proverb)
Alamiester
Legendary Scribe

Post by Alamiester »

these houses were my number one through six destinations, but i do agree they are nicely designed, could they be saved in the house design template, then replaced after idoc event to become ageless? probably some good loot in them, but unsure as i cannot see into containers.

Edit: i suppose now that you announced the coords wouldnt be much to take anyways with 100 peeps there at once.

Edit: i do agree that these groups of house should be saved, the designs are amazing. the owner put alot of time (and money) into these houses.
Praise
Master Scribe

Post by Praise »

As much as I love those designs, and after going back and forth about how I feel about them, I think we should take screen shots to look back at, and let them go! Some want them saved but if the owner isn't going to save them, then we shouldn't either. The ones here can enjoy looting and it will free up space for new players. There will always be another neat design. Also, if they drop, their yard wand stuff will be left behind, won't it?
Praise
Melkor
Legendary Scribe

Post by Melkor »

I agree with Praise.

Land in Britannia facet is at a premium.

Also if we vote on possible houses to save, it will make it so people don’t have to hunt for the good houses that are about to drop. Which takes away a lot of the fun of the idoc event.

It could potentially open up a situation where the house designer wants his or her house to become ageless, doesn’t log in to trigger a vote and then comes back right before the drop.

I think if a certain house has special importance enough that it should be saved the staff can make that decision in rare occasions.
TDC Guild
Cerrera
Legendary Scribe

Post by Cerrera »

Yes i would like some of those decor too, but felt that it have more value in that work, than in my chests. Feeling bit disappointed but whatever, good that i made screenshots. In my thought its not necessary needs to be available for owner, after home goes idoc. But just imagine, if you go off for whatever reason for enough long time, and you see that your build is architectural monument, when you come back. Supposed that copying design and putting somewhere in special area would be much mess and offered option which was simplest in my thoughts. I cannot tell, that its fully without gram of selfishness,((i really like Keth'laa's build very much, wouldn't offered if not)) cause i know that if something extraordinary goes on that caused myself to not come online on at term. Would be happy to see that people decided that creation was enough good to be immortalized even if couldn't have it anymore. But maybe you are right and, it will stock up much gb's in server with time (i don't know how much space uses such complex) and if this would happen every idoc time twice in year.
Zeratul
Elder Scribe

Post by Zeratul »

I think the movie frozen sums this up completely…
Let it go, let it go,
Can't hold it back anymore
Let it go, let it go
cameronmajere
Master Scribe

Post by cameronmajere »

Melkor wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:08 am
I agree with Praise.

Land in Britannia facet is at a premium.

Also if we vote on possible houses to save, it will make it so people don’t have to hunt for the good houses that are about to drop. Which takes away a lot of the fun of the idoc event.

It could potentially open up a situation where the house designer wants his or her house to become ageless, doesn’t log in to trigger a vote and then comes back right before the drop.

I think if a certain house has special importance enough that it should be saved the staff can make that decision in rare occasions.
or just add ageless house deeds (up to 2 years) in ed room for 500 eds....
kurganwins
Journeyman Scribe

Post by kurganwins »

What I would like to see drop are all the land plots that no one even places a generic building on or store anything on... just empty land plots all over the place.
arrow
Legendary Scribe

Post by arrow »

Some houses are definitely works of art, and as such should be sold at auction!!! :D
Always remember to pillage before you burn!-----------Unknown
Cerrera
Legendary Scribe

Post by Cerrera »

arrow wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:08 am
Some houses are definitely works of art, and as such should be sold at auction!!! :D
:lool:
Wil
Legendary Scribe

Post by Wil »

+Colibri wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:50 pm
Other than that, I'd have to manually release the containers, or upgrade the code that would somehow release just the containers (but then, some containers are part of the design, so it would probably have to be done part manually in any case).
Howdy,

I don't mean release the containers, I mean change the setting on the "secures" from owner/co-owner/friend to "anyone," same with the doors and change the house from private to public. Leave visible items in place since they're presumably part of the decoration scheme.

In this manner, the house as decorated remains but folks can enter and loot the containers as part of the IDOC.

I also like the idea of saving the house for the next auction instead of just preserving it as ageless. Lack of use makes a house sad. :cry:

Regards,
Wil
CallaDeer
Journeyman Scribe

Post by CallaDeer »

I thought there was a point to IDOC

If the owner doesn't play anymore, let others have fun.
Otherwise just let the houses decay normally instead of making a event out of it.

Let It Go !