Remove Trap to 120 (without skillball/elixir)

Don't know how something works? Here you will find some useful links. And if you have a question, feel free to ask.
Eremite
Grandmaster Scribe

Remove Trap to 120 (without skillball/elixir)

Post by Eremite »

Had a few people asking about how I managed to get Remove Trap to 120 without using a skill ball or essences, so here's a guide.

Be warned, this is a HUGE GRIND for an essentially useless skill. Trap damage is negligible and you can't even remove traps from Devious+ maps (even at 120.0). However is actually semi-profitable and gives a break from mindless mob grinding. :D

I don't remember the exact numbers, so if you decide to follow along this path, feel free to update where you swapped steps.

---

Step 1: Magic Trap -> Remove Trap (0.0 -> ~85-90.0)
You can go from 0 to ~85-90 with just this UO Steam macro. It casts remove trap on a box, then will remove trap on it. Should be pretty easy to re-create in Razor or Orion.

Code: Select all

// Set this to the serial of a box in your inventory
//  Serial can be gotten with .info or Object Inspector button
@setalias 'box' 0x4310d221
cast "Magic Trap"
waitfortarget 3500
target! 'box'
pause 1000
useskill 'Remove Trap'
waitfortarget 3000
target! 'box'
pause 6000
Step 2: Dungeon Blaze Chests (~85-90.0 -> ~110.0)
This step is a bit iffy. There are a few dungeons that have Blaze chests scattered around them along with Agapite locks. These can technically take you a bit past 110, but **extremely** slowly.

Once you're freshly done with the Magic Trap macro, some of the Agapite locks will give skillups, but others will not.
Similarly, some of the blaze chests can give skillups, while some are completely impossible. The difficulty seems to be randomized.

My method here was to pick all the Agapite locks (free gold/gems, etc), and then try the Blaze chests. If I failed 10x in a row with no skillups, I would simply double-click the chest to blow the trap, loot it, then move on to the next one.

This is good up until about ~105-110 skill, though it slows down significantly after ~100-105.

Blaze Chest Locations I used:
* Ice Dungeon (2nd level has 4, other Blaze + Agapite pairs scattered around 1st)
* 4th level Hythloth (Lots of Blaze + Agapite pairs)
* Daemon Temple (underneath)

Step 3: Clever Treasure Maps (~105.0-120)

You can get skillups from lower treasure chests occasionally if you get tired of farming dungeon chests, but after 105-110, you can *ONLY* get skillups from Clever Treasure Maps (Verite locks).

I would get a 0.1 skillup every 2-4 chests, so this is a huge grind. Treasure hunting gets you some gold/deco/etc though so it's nice.

Keep in mind that lower level treasure maps can upgrade to higher-level maps, particularly in Felucca. So, if you have access to those, they're worth dong for the upgrade chance. Ideally you could do these before 105and build up a good supply of Clever maps to blow through after 105. (I wish I'd done this in retrospect).

---

You will definitely want a macro for Lockpick + Remove Trap + Loot chest or you'll go insane. Here's the macro that I use for UOSteam:

https://github.com/Erumite/UOEX-Macros/ ... ing.groovy

It will lockpick the box, remove trap, then loot everything in the box through a series of organizers. It's not plug and play as you'll need to set up your organizers and aliases however you want. I hopefully added enough comments in the file to explain things. :)
Last edited by Eremite on Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Johnny Warren
Legendary Scribe

Re: Remove Trap to 120 (without skillball/elixir)

Post by Johnny Warren »

You can still get the skillgains from the blaze chests beyond 110. I was at 111.8 and still gaining (extremely slowly) from blaze chests when I saw your pic and PM'd you. I am definitely gaining faster on the clever maps than on the blaze chests. I would recommend staying on blaze chests for a bit longer than the 105 you suggest, justu to maximise the mileage you get out of your clever maps...

Best dungeon for the blaze chests is ice dungeon, there are also a few in hythloth and T keep.

Currently at 113.0, the grind is real on this skill.
JOHNNY WARREN!
Eremite
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Eremite »

Thanks, updated the original post with the ~110 recommendation. I was on the Clever grind for so long, I'd forgotten when I swapped over. ;p
Eremite
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Eremite »

Apologies to anyone who was using treasure maps to level Remove Trap - it seems the prices on them on vendors has skyrocketed pretty absurdly after this post was made and I can rarely find any worth picking up anymore.

I figured I'd add an addendum as to what I was looking for when buying maps from vendors.

The gold values of each map time can be found on this page: https://uoex.net/wiki/Treasure_Hunting
Felucca maps were updated to contain 25% more gold than Trammel maps as of June 30th, 2023 - viewtopic.php?p=81139#p81139

I typically look for maps that are less than the gold you'd get from them. At the very max, I would spend the average amount of gold that they would drop ( min + max / 2 ).

Example Trammel/Fel Pricing I'd look for:
  • Plain: 1000g (1250g)
  • Expert: 3000g (3750g)
  • Adept: 4200 (5200g)
  • Clever: 7500 (9500g)
  • Devious: 10000g (12500g)
.. etc. Higher levels aren't typically sold for sane prices.

Keep in mind that the maps also have a chance of dropping a map one level higher, but it's pretty rare on Trammel maps (I'm gonna guess like 10%?). It is more common on Felucca maps - maybe half of them? I haven't done tracking on these.

There's also a certain amount of gold that you can expect from the mobs that spawn. I did some testing on Devious Trammel maps and I figured all totaled, they're worth about 15K total after you count mob drops and gems. I wouldn't pay that much to break even though.

The prices I'm seeing now seem to expect people to be willing to lose money on the map, even accounting for gold + gems + recycling everything. (seeing like, Devious Trammel maps at 25K+) No hate if they can get people to pay for them, but it's definitely put a damper on my own treasure hunting, lol. If you're looking to get 120 remove trap though, you're likely going to have to farm your own maps or pay out the nose now.