PvP

Name says it all
dillingham
Legendary Scribe

Re: PvP

Post by dillingham »

HACKSAW
It is better to lead from behind and to put others in front, especially when you celebrate victory when nice things occur. You take the front line when there is danger. Then people will appreciate your leadership.
Nelson Mandela
Gaara
Legendary Scribe

Post by Gaara »

dillingham wrote:Image
lol :D i do agree, kinda, but it doesn't matter what you wear or wield, anyone can be killed with the right technique :nod:
Annachie
Elysium Beta Tester

Post by Annachie »

I think the solution might be different PvP areas.

A newbie one for younger accounts with no re-layers

A basic one with no re-layers or whatever limit you decide on.

moderate with limited uber gear allowed

Open slather.

Add to that things like CTF games, special events, etc in each area.

Even an arena which can be set to the different rule sets.

Hmm, open slather kick ball
Character name: Ebony
Dramoor
Legendary Scribe

Post by Dramoor »

Biggest reason here that PVP is not really good or fun, is you cannot have it balanced. The only way to balance PVP here is to tell veterans who have spend lots of time/gold/rl money, to flush that all away while pvping. And if you do not do that. Good luck killing Cornbread with his 600+hp and 400 STR or my 689 HP I had with over 415 STR. Is same as the Thunderdome, yes balanced, but not really.... As three can attack one, which all three times I entered had happened (which is why I say not really balanced because if three can attack me, why can I not use my gear). Those are my views on it really.
Unbeliever
Legendary Scribe

Post by Unbeliever »

I haven't tried PvPing on Excelsior yet but I thought about what it might be like when I first got here. From a new guy's perspective I figured that from the word go, 90% of what I know about traditional PvP would be out the window, and what's left would be just running a few EUO heal/attack scripts. Then an hour later someone might be dead, lol. I might be completely wrong there, idk. I hope I am.

Like I kinda said before, I always thought PvP only ever worked in organized events with precisely defined rules. When players make the choice to participate in something that specifically allows/disallows certain pots/poison/magic weapons/spells/etc, there's inevitably a lot less grumbling in the end. In a broader setting like overworld PvP or factions, people may have officially consented to PvP by joining the server or a faction but the loose rules of basically "Every spell, pet, weapon, and tactic is at your disposal" just leads to a whole world of argument. Because players don't really consent to anyone being able to fight however they want, so you end up with hollering about what's fair or lame or OP or whatever.

I'm very happy to hear the direction you're leaning towards, +Nyx. :) Thanks for your work!! Looking forward to seeing this in its final form.
in-game Thomas Covenant
louis077
Journeyman Scribe

Post by louis077 »

I'm going to resurrect this old thread!

First of all, I used to love PVP it was one of the main reasons I started playing UO in the first place. I don't miss it that much anymore and UOEX has enough stuff to do to make up for the lack of it here.

After doing ice champ last night, a few of my guildies and I tried out thunderdome last night with a few vet players. This was the first time for most of us trying it out. As +Nyx said, I think it is used infrequently. One of the vets has well over 16+ relayers (apparently has more hp than cornbread :shock: ) and would kill us alone from the RPD if we managed to get a hit in. Knowing this we ended up choosing the option to remove all of our gear and used whatever we could find in the dungeon. This made everything 100% fair. The bank system for our gear worked flawlessly and everything was 100% perfect. This was hands down some of the most fun I've had on the shard since I've started playing. We were all on teamspeak yelling and laughing to tears at one another to make it even more fun. To be honest I'm surprised that more people don't play this! Whoever created it spent a lot of time picking out the weapons and items to make it extremely balanced and fun to play.

Having the option to compete with all your gear would be nice but I just don't think the vast majority of players would utilize it because the divide is so great. If a vet is so concerned about losing his head (literally) to noob because he got killed with a lightning wand then let them be the odd ones out. I can see both sides to the argument but I think the "gearless or uniform gear" approach is the winner.

When most new people think of the thunderdome they have this gruesome image in their head similar to what was posted above. (thx for that by the way! :lol: ) Most young to mid players (myself included) fear for all their hard earned gear. If thunderdome was advertised properly or more players were encouraged to use it. I think you would see increased use in it. This place is awesome.
Last edited by louis077 on Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
- Captain Spanky
Locke
Elder Scribe

Post by Locke »

it could be interesting to see on the world chat when someone enter in the thunderdome or at world save to see how many people are in too... And if we could get something usefull or interesting in anyway after killing like 100 player, or maybe gaining gold, token, ointment, elven note, organnics, what ever from killing another player... it could interest a lil bit more player and i think too that the thunderdome is well balance and could have a great potential for player in lack of challenge with pvm, because pvp is a endless challenge for end-game player, but its to big for 2 or 3 player running around and become easily bore of that... just saying :D... i like the shard too, it could add some spice
Everything started with nothing...
Unbeliever
Legendary Scribe

Post by Unbeliever »

Along the lines of what Locke was saying, I think a reward system would be a great idea but not so much the listed items because they're all easy enough for players to gather on their own. And I think it stands to reason that if players are PvPing instead of out gathering those things, they're not particularly interested in those things at that time. One thing that I've seen done on several other servers and enjoyed greatly were named trophies designating (usually 1st - 3rd or even 5th place) winners of events, including certain PvP events as well. We're all pixel junkies, we're all trying to carve our own niche in this world and/or make a name for ourselves, and items recognizing players' achievements in that way really create a history and renown for players that's personal and differs from being known just because you've played and been active in world chat for a long time. Just throwing that out there for staff to consider. :)
in-game Thomas Covenant
Locke
Elder Scribe

Post by Locke »

i don't think so, pvp could even become a way to make gold, why not ? why we should need to kill a dummy bally to get 5k instead of another player harder and longer to kill generally. And it's to add a long term interest in that thing. After 2-3 trophies i dont even dig for its really dull.. Oh and pvp tournament could be really nice single or in a team:D...
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

Hmmm. I might be able to create some sort of bounty system, but that would just get exploited. Someone would have their buddy's alt character that he doesn't care about sit there and die over and over for the kill count. I'll mull it over some, but I don't see a way to prevent it being exploited without asking Coli to script something. Since we need so much for the facets and that has to take priority, that wouldn't be able to happen for quite a long time unless +V and I can think of a workaround with our uber Creative Problem Solving skills. I'll make an announcement, of course, if we make any changes or additions to the pvp areas.
Locke
Elder Scribe

Post by Locke »

Thx nyx, it is very well appreciated
*exults*
Ravlee
Passer by

Post by Ravlee »

louis077 wrote:we ended up choosing the option to remove all of our gear and used whatever we could find in the dungeon. This made everything 100% fair. The bank system for our gear worked flawlessly and everything was 100% perfect. This was hands down some of the most fun I've had on the shard since I've started playing. We were all on teamspeak yelling and laughing to tears at one another to make it even more fun. To be honest I'm surprised that more people don't play this! Whoever created it spent a lot of time picking out the weapons and items to make it extremely balanced and fun to play.
As a new player to Excelsior and a charter member to Ultima Online this idea really excites me. I've always been a fan of starting fresh and scrounging and scraping, and new servers were always an electric time. I've never been to the Thunderdome (Haven't exhausted my Young tag yet, even) so I don't know what kind of gear goes into that place, but creating a PVP environment where players are largely what they find/take from others sounds like it would capture that "new server" feel as well as creating a more balanced PVP experience. I think a venue sporting this style/a mode in thunderdome is worth considering!
Unbeliever
Legendary Scribe

Post by Unbeliever »

I agree with +Nyx that offering valuables as reward for any kind of PvP action outside of scripted/planned fights would end up abused - and the level of abuse would be exactly proportionate to the incentive. I think you could only safely reward large-scale PvP that couldn't possibly be rigged by players. And regarding my named trophy suggestion, you're entitled to your opinion Locke but I never met a player before who wasn't happy to show off their achievements on a castle's steps or roof. It's something that says 'I was here for that' and 'I accomplished this'. At present, no one knows how long you've been around or what you've done unless you brag about it. And that hardly has the same effect as a trophy. At present, event reward items are often reduced to commerce - and I'd wager that's mainly because they're generic. I'd buy an Excelsorian Stag Head - Hunting Event 2014, but I wouldn't buy Locke's 2nd place Excelsorian Stag Head - Hunting Event 2014 because I'd feel like a fool showing off your trophy.

There's a place for generic event items and I enjoy collecting and earning them very much. And in the case of events where there are clear winners (such as you'd have in PvP), staff gives out very nice prizes to those winners. But named trophies with no turn-in or intrinsic value outside of bragging rights would not only make a nice distinction between the 1st place and 40th place competitors but also enrich the server by creating a visible history/timeline. Players wouldn't seek trophies for profit if there were no profit in it - and it would honor the events themselves by making the rewards more than vendor stock in more players' eyes.
Last edited by Unbeliever on Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
in-game Thomas Covenant
Cornbread
Legendary Scribe

Post by Cornbread »

I would love to see a kill count when we do capture the flag type events. Any of the others, for that matter. Would be fun to see who gets the most kills and who captures the most flags. Maybe small trophies during those events would be awesome. Probably require scripting from Coli to keep the kills totals, but would make it a lot more fun.
EndeR
Master Scribe

Post by EndeR »

What does everyone think about some sort of guild war?
If two guilds wanted to pvp then on guildstone have an option that both guilds have to accept and at any time either guild can opt out of war?