Proposed Weapon Changes

Name says it all
Dirtybook
Grandmaster Scribe

Proposed Weapon Changes

Post by Dirtybook »

Disclaimer : This thread is not intended to start a war, or cause an issue in any direction. It is meant to be a set of ideas, set forward to be read by the Admin, and to be commented on. For clarity, If you disagree, or you disagree, then please do so. However, topic threads can go off the rails, so let us keep it civil. This thread is intended to shed some light on weapons, and their special abilities. In hopes for a re-balance in the weapons department. Thank You.

Although I do enjoy playing a magic user on UOEX, I do like playing with the weapons as well. I have noted that many of the weapons on this server can be pretty lack luster, compared to the Yumi and heavier Whirlwind weapons that virtually everyone uses. It's well established as a version of game play. However, I cant help but wonder, if people would use other weapons, provided they where upgraded from there current forms.

So, I have a few ideas of my own, that can be interpreted in a positive change for weapons. Of course, this is not my server, but I submit these ideals, mostly for the admin. If he can make releasing the hues more of a priority. Then the possibility of balancing weapons, for the betterment of all people who want something different at times, is my aim.

So, without further statements, I will post a handful of ideals.

Concussion Blow - Raise the damage scale 50% for this special, making it a 15-45 damage progression as enemy HPs drops, compared the current 10-30 it is at the moment. This isn't a huge leap in damage, but enough to make it more viable.

Armor Ignore - This special delivers less damage, than a regular weapon hit can provide without it. It could be made to do double normal damage, which would still put it under the damage scale of Armor Pierce, and Crushing Blow. However, it could make a large number of weapons viable, that currently just aren't.

Bleed Attack - Raising the damage scale an additional 25% per bleeding "Tick", would make this a more usable special. Making the top starting bleed damage 25, instead of the current 20, and the latter smaller number "Ticks", 25% stronger as well.

Infectious Strike - This special could be made to do double poison scale damage, than it currently does. While this may be a highly questionable idea, this special would still not be in huge demand and use. It would however, balance it for the monsters that have way more HP on UOEX, than OSI.

Moving Shot - This special takes almost no mana. It can be spammed to constantly stay out of range of 1 shot monsters, including the Tokuno Champion, Serrado (Hopefully I spelled it right), without him landing a single hit. It's mana usage scale should be increased.

Blade Weave - This one is almost pointless for it's mana to use. It currently does 15 damage, and only 15 damage. Changing it to be a random weapon special, would make for a more balanced, and chaotic weapon special. (This idea was taken from OSI Ultima Online.)

Frenzied Whirlwind - This special is overwhelming under powered. It does not trigger any "Area Effect" or "Direct Hit" weapon spells. Just adding that alone would fix this to be a more usable weapon special. Upgrading the weapon specials damage scale by at least 50%, would make a whole handful of weapons viable for players to use, and keep it's function unique compared to the normal Whirlwind.

Serpent Arrow - I would recommend the same upgrade to this special, as I mentioned previously with Infectious Strike earlier in this thread.

Thats all I have to say for the weapon specials. Now I have a couple mentions for weapons them selves. Hopefully making UOEX shine through with a more "Medieval" flair. Or a more Japanese influenced one, since there are players that prefer that side of UO. Or just give the Admin some ideas on "Gimmick Weapons" people may use, just for a change of pace.

Lance - This weapon could have Concussion Blow removed, and be replaced with Armor Pierce. Its a BIG weapon, and it does not have a blunted tip. This type of none civil joisting Lance, should "Shish Kabob" it opponent. Making it UOEX's first, and most viable single hit Fencing weapon in the game. Finally putting a Fencing weapon on the map, for players to have the option of using in a more useful fashion, and putting it right under the Ornate Axe. However, both currently sit under the oppressive gloom of the War Hammer and Double Axe. So this change would not create a imbalance, only a new player option.

Tessen (Dancer Fans) - It has dual redundant defensive specials. It would be a more fun weapon to play with, if it was set up with Dual Wield/Block.
Of course, its' damage scale isn't very high (10-12), it would still make for a good rebalance of a weapon that could be used by players that are looking for something different. At the very least, a weapon with multiple Hit Spells, and high SDI backing it, would make for a fun afternoon of fan dancing you're way into victory, in whatever dungeon you crawl. (This ones my shameful selfish want.. :twisted: They look cool while casting. )

Double Bladed Staff - This weapons damage of 12-13 seems oddly low, for a staff with 2 large blades attached to either end. Maybe a increase to 14-16 would make this a decent weapon?

Elven Spellblade - This is a rather small weapon, and it is currently 2 handed. Could you make it a 1 hander?

Rune Blade - This weapon currently has Disarm/Bladeweave. Putting it at Dual Wield/Bladeweave (With the proposed Bladeweave change), could make this weapon a fun addition to the more useful single target weapons for the game. I have heard a few people say they would use this weapon if it had better specials.

That's all I have in the way of rebalancing ideas for weapons, and their specials. None of the changes are that huge, but I felt the Admin could get some feedback from the player base on this. These ideas would make the game more "New Player" friendly, and give some vets a couple different weapon options to choose from as well.

For anyone who disagrees with my proposed weapon change ideas, please post what you would rather see down below. If you agree with any of the proposed change ideas to be posted for the Admins eyes, please, post it below. If you both agree and disagree with what has been posted for the proposed weapon change ideas, please, post it below. Ultimately, this is +C's server. I just felt like "Think Tanking". Carry on dudes!
Geriatric
Legendary Scribe

Re: Proposed Weapon Changes

Post by Geriatric »

i actually like these ideas

the only thing that i might add is that the current swing speed cap is at 1.25 (i believe) for all weapons regardless of 1H or 2H
a 1H should naturally swing faster perhaps reducing that to a swing speed cap of 1.0

which may also help to account for the parrying bonus of 2H weapon through bushido
Silent
Legendary Scribe

Post by Silent »

About the weapon specials I can only say that it is sad that we must all use the same weapons since there only a few weapon special that are worth it. Unfortunately UO simply designed the specials to be too broken in some weapons. I once crafted all available bows and crossbows and there isn't much too it ... The yumi is just the best.

I believe that the best way to modify this system (in an aesthetic purpose only) and within the limits of a less overwhelming coding, would be to allow players to transform their weapons in a different one but to keep their weapon specials and stats. That way we would all be using yumi's but with different appearances allowing for certain diversity of appearances. On the part of the melee this would also be great since it would allow us to have a melee with the image of our choice but remaining the best as possible weapon (reducing the number of ornate axes or mauls...).

So basically what I'm trying to say is that coding a weapon special revamp should be very hard and would need a lot of beta-testing for balancing (weapon base dmg/speed also needs reworking and balancing). It would be easier to code a "relayer deed upgrade" for weapon to weapon instead (I know I would buy that deed haha).
Lurking the forums since dec 2012
Geriatric
Legendary Scribe

Post by Geriatric »

could just have deeds that have "change special ability 1 to whirlwind"
"change special ability 2 to crushing blow"
Johnny Warren
Legendary Scribe

Post by Johnny Warren »

Silent wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 2:43 pm
I believe that the best way to modify this system (in an aesthetic purpose only) and within the limits of a less overwhelming coding, would be to allow players to transform their weapons in a different one but to keep their weapon specials and stats. That way we would all be using yumi's but with different appearances allowing for certain diversity of appearances. On the part of the melee this would also be great since it would allow us to have a melee with the image of our choice but remaining the best as possible weapon (reducing the number of ornate axes or mauls...).
This idea is published before every auction. Add a "Change weapon appearance deed" to the auction rotation. Everything else you can basically do with the current deeds available. It would basically alleviate all of the problems mentioned above. Use what ever graphic you want, but still have the desired stats and specials you want.
JOHNNY WARREN!
Cerrera
Legendary Scribe

Post by Cerrera »

Yes believe to Silent's said, that would be much more than weekend job. So changing appearance could be lot easyer. After one question earlyer +C said that there could be implemented such deed, after little rework of how weapon acts, so perhaps there will be such deed in ed room, where you can make your weapon and shield to look as what you want. Of course also with some rules.
Geriatric wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 4:37 pm
Such already exist and been sold in auctions.
Silent
Legendary Scribe

Post by Silent »

Geriatric wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 4:37 pm
Such a deed is sold in auction and it is "broken" since you can make a whirlwind bow or have two good abilities in a weapon making it worth the overprice. An aesthetic deed is simpler and wouldn't change any game mechanic besides perhaps people start using bolts hahaha it is a change that wouldn't need any testing for balancing.
Lurking the forums since dec 2012
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

(offtopic posts removed)
+Colibri, Administrator of UO Excelsior Shard

Don't know what the purpose of your life is? Well then make something up! ;)
(Old Colibrian proverb)
Dirtybook
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Dirtybook »

Also, I would love to see Repeating X-Bows placed up to at least 12-14 damage base, from the 10-12 they are now. Gives new players a decent bow to play with at lower dexterity. It will eventually be replayed by a Yumi for 99% of players. (Except for me.. I'm the 1% that likes a Repeater.)

Just more inane musings from me! :lol:
nocturne7saint
Elder Scribe

Post by nocturne7saint »

I think making more weapons viable would breath some new life into the server. having one ranged and just one melee weapon of choice is boring, and the economy would change for the better if there were more viable weapon choices.
blackstone from the ILV guild
Geriatric
Legendary Scribe

Post by Geriatric »

one of the biggest problems being the swing speed cap / swing speed increase
theres so much dex out there and most people are at the 60% swingspeed or near enough
that any halberd or big heavy 2 handed weapon swings at the same speed as a lowly katana or quarter staff, or other originally fast speed weapon

some of those naturally faster weapons should have a shorter swing speed for a weapon that does 11-14 damage per swing have it swing every 0.90 sseconds at max speed
and leave the bigger halberds/warhammers that have 17-20 damage per swing out at the 1.25 mark

this could certainly make some weapons more viable for single target combat vs multiple target combat
Cerrera
Legendary Scribe

Post by Cerrera »

Everyone is too afraid to have ssi, cause it decrease amount of leeche's so most swing's just from stamina.