Where have all the colours gone?! Hues not returning?

Name says it all
Geriatric
Legendary Scribe

Re: Where have all the colours gone?! Hues not returning?

Post by Geriatric »

i personally dont give one iota of a toss about hues, i dont play for the fancy colours
i dont have a dog in this race

that being said i agree with the principle behind johnny warrens argument
it really does weaken and devalue the server

the colour hue's can be thought of as a finite resource, theres only so many of them of them in the game, and if someone claims it and then stops playing

that hue is gone forever...

it reminds me of that story that was floating around a few years back about george lucas wanting to be buried with star wars so no one else could touch it

please don't rob us of our baby yoda
think of the memes
Wil
Legendary Scribe

Post by Wil »

Here's a solution I think would be reasonably fair to everybody:

On the first of the month, scan the game for guild-color dye tubs. Any color for which there are no dye tubs, or for which the only existing dye tubs are inside a player's bank box, is released back to general use.

This means that when the guild house falls and takes the dye tubs with it, the colors are released.
MagicUser
Elder Scribe

Post by MagicUser »

Found the guild that locked my hue last year. Shame.

Been using that hue for years and then all of a sudden, couldn't use it if I get new gear or weapons.

Very sad.

Another one of those 1 person guilds you'll notice.
Color.jpg
Color.jpg (21.57 KiB) Viewed 6794 times
Respectfully,
Paroxysmus ILV Master Spellcaster
Gaara
Legendary Scribe

Post by Gaara »

Gaara wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:36 pm
IMO there shouldn't be reserved hues. Guilds could still have easy access if they pay for a hue but currently there's quite many people who just hog multiple hues on alts which isn't fine...
I still think this would be the simplest solution. Yeah i'm literally quoting myself, but i still stand by what i said 3-4 years ago. That being said, i have since registered hues on alts as well since nothing has been done about this situation for years. If you can't beat em, join em and all that...
Silent
Legendary Scribe

Post by Silent »

Guild reserves a hue to be a free use universal dye tub. All other players have access to it by using their own dye tub. couldn't be simpler than this...
Lurking the forums since dec 2012
Wil
Legendary Scribe

Post by Wil »

Silent wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:44 pm
Guild reserves a hue to be a free use universal dye tub. All other players have access to it by using their own dye tub. couldn't be simpler than this...
Ironically, the hue reservation system used to be closer to this. After reserving the hue you could buy unlimited use dye tubs in that color. Then one of the admins (probably +Nyx) decided that was too much, so the tubs both got more expensive and gained a use limit before you had to buy another. So, guilds stopped decorating their halls in the guild colors because it was just too expensive.
Silent
Legendary Scribe

Post by Silent »

Wil wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:59 pm
Ironically, the hue reservation system used to be closer to this. After reserving the hue you could buy unlimited use dye tubs in that color. Then one of the admins (probably +Nyx) decided that was too much, so the tubs both got more expensive and gained a use limit before you had to buy another. So, guilds stopped decorating their halls in the guild colors because it was just too expensive.
I feel like it doesn't make any sense to keep this system as it is. Some times we change not for the better, or even if it was for the better, it just ended up becoming a hue reservation system abused. I have Hues that I used to use that have been locked and I would love to be able to use them. Should I buy a guildstone just to reserve it ? absolutely not, it makes no sense to me...

Also, not sure what was the reasoning when things changed but I don't see any problems in a guild painting its entire house in a same colour apart from the visual shock that some Hues may provide. But again, what ever floats your guilds boat :)
Wil
Legendary Scribe

Post by Wil »

Silent wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:46 pm
Also, not sure what was the reasoning when things changed but I don't see any problems in a guild painting its entire house in a same colour apart from the visual shock that some Hues may provide. But again, what ever floats your guilds boat :)
IIRC the change was driven by +Nyx. She had a habit of deciding players had too much of something and should therefore have less. She had a particular dislike for anything that was unlimited use. It was just the sort of thing she did.
Johnny Warren
Legendary Scribe

Post by Johnny Warren »

I have noticed people starting to sign off posts with the hashtag #Freethehues! Good to see some momentum.... I even saw a guild pop up called free the hues... I think they may have just been another single player guild taking another hue out of the mix for all of us.. This is clearly the most pressing issue requiring attention... the recent forum poll proved that, even though they tried to split the hue votes it still came out on top... looking at the dates from this thread it's also been neglected far too long. This lot of hue hogging code is the worst coding seen since Windows Vista! Please +c, do your coding wizardry and FREE THE HUES for us all...
JOHNNY WARREN!
MagicUser
Elder Scribe

Post by MagicUser »

Free The Hues!
Respectfully,
Paroxysmus ILV Master Spellcaster
ButteryBiscuits
Elder Scribe

Post by ButteryBiscuits »

I will testify that it is not a "one member guild".... I asked to add one of my BOD Characters to the guild and I like to sit it TC after i go AFK just for the tweak... :dance
BB
---------------------------
ButteryBiscuits
in game name ButteryBiscuits
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mermaid_of_Warsaw
Silent
Legendary Scribe

Post by Silent »

We continue to have 100 hues locked for an average player base of 140. Just wanted to bump this issue :)

#Freethehues
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

freethehues genie wish.png
freethehues genie wish.png (409.58 KiB) Viewed 6131 times

Btw, I'm aware of the situation... Maybe after I code the recall cooldown, i can tackle this one. There's a lot of ideas about what should get priority, but maybe this one gets mentioned so often for so long, we can consider it a priority.
+Colibri, Administrator of UO Excelsior Shard

Don't know what the purpose of your life is? Well then make something up! ;)
(Old Colibrian proverb)
Johnny Warren
Legendary Scribe

Post by Johnny Warren »

:lool:
JOHNNY WARREN!
Dirtybook
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Dirtybook »

More hues to play with, would be a lot of fun to dig into. Thank you for pushing this further up the list +C.