Post by Silent »

So what happens next +C? Are you throwing a party for Praise ? hehe

Perhaps like a public awarding event. I want to see a trophy :D
Lurking the forums since dec 2012
Muolke
Legendary Scribe

Re: UOEX Player of the year?

Post by Muolke »

I’m not going to win the prize so I’m not saying it for me but I think the winner should get something like an account bound regular Titan Hammer. That way they can never profit from it but can put it to use.
Zanzi
Elder Scribe

Post by Zanzi »

Praise being the top choice doesn't surprised me at all. Gratz to everyone that made the top list as well. My recommendation for a prize for praise is an account bound champ location teleporter.
Johnny Warren
Legendary Scribe

Post by Johnny Warren »

Given this competition has been put together fairly abruptly and it is a bit of an odd thing to adjudge, I think a more tokenistic reward is appropriate than a TH or some teleporter for fel. The competition is more heavily weighted so that guild leaders and guildies from large guilds have a much bigger advanrage than solo players. Back in the old days a sash is what you would get. It would still be a cool reward. I think an acknowl3dgement and a piece of labelled clothing or trophy would suffice.
JOHNNY WARREN!
Durocius
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Durocius »

Maybe a totem slot award with the achievement as a name?
Zanzi
Elder Scribe

Post by Zanzi »

qbf wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:07 pm
Given this competition has been put together fairly abruptly and it is a bit of an odd thing to adjudge, I think a more tokenistic reward is appropriate than a TH or some teleporter for fel. The competition is more heavily weighted so that guild leaders and guildies from large guilds have a much bigger advanrage than solo players. Back in the old days a sash is what you would get. It would still be a cool reward. I think an acknowl3dgement and a piece of labelled clothing or trophy would suffice.
I agreed with most of your points. I do disagreed with solo player versus player in a large guild. I think some players spend more time just to help out than others. None of us really know who voted for Praise, but I am willing to bet most of not all voted for her may have very little to do with being in the same guild.
Johnny Warren
Legendary Scribe

Post by Johnny Warren »

Zanzi wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:33 pm
I agreed with most of your points. I do disagreed with solo player versus player in a large guild. I think some players spend more time just to help out than others. None of us really know who voted for Praise, but I am willing to bet most of not all voted for her may have very little to do with being in the same guild.
The top 2 players so far are leaders of 2 of the larger active guilds. If you look at how many votes they have got it is almost exactly the same number as the number of members in their guild. Type "[guilds" in game to check for yourself. You could be right and many non-guildies voted for them, however I suspect a huge number of guildies just vote for their guild leader, which does make this a rather unfair competition. Players like Zalia and Bowmaster who spend a huge amount of time and resources helping new players cannot compete at all with someone who has an active guild of 60 members and they all align their votes behind their leader. As such I would be disappointed if the winner got a 200million+ gp reward for such a contest.

That's not even mentioning geography. Zalia and Bowmaster are both from +10GMT time zones, which means much of their actions in helping others may not be recognised by the rest of the server.

I guess what I am saying is there are many reasons to contest the validity of the voting process, thus an exceptionally powerful, non-tokenistic reward should NOT be on offer for such a contest.
JOHNNY WARREN!
culichi
Legendary Scribe

Post by culichi »

i agree gm of a big guild can campaign for votes and really affect a contest like this. in years past there was some of that in the old house deco contest that also used player votes in some categories. all that said anyone who has been paying any attention knows praise helps a lot of people so its not surprising she would get a lot of votes also she does a lot of champing and hands out bracelets of binding.
definately in favor of prize being something wearable (not bound) or maybe a special banner like house deco contests used to give.

sorry for pooping on titan hammer idea praise i swear its not sour grapes hehe :wink:
Johnny Warren
Legendary Scribe

Post by Johnny Warren »

I want to make it clear that I do not think Praise is an undeserving winner.

Just pointing out that handing out insane rewards for this type of contest is not the correct way to go.
JOHNNY WARREN!
Zalia
Elder Scribe

Post by Zalia »

I made 5th! So proud of myself. Good on you Praise.
Zanzi
Elder Scribe

Post by Zanzi »

I think it is very healthy that everyone is able to share their opinions/perspectives. Maybe +C can give a share a bit more detail on guildies voting for guild leaders. Now if that is true, shouldn’t we have more people with more than 10 votes.

I am also struggling with the concern over bound pwt for champ spot for someone like Praise. I think she would put that to great use benefiting more new players. Not sure why that is too much.
Muolke
Legendary Scribe

Post by Muolke »

Ok maybe you guys are right...I got a little carried away with my idea for a prize.

But I do like the idea of the Player of the Year getting a rune that lasts only until the end of the year which lets them open a gate to one of the Fel champs such as Destard or Forget. They're rather easy to get to anyways so it wouldn't be a huge deal anyways. Just make it so the rune is account bound and can't be copied.
Zanzi
Elder Scribe

Post by Zanzi »

Well the rune idea would work for Praise or someone like Tripp that help out others a lot for champ spawn but not universally great for all. So that is even the more reason why this event is great because it can be tailor to recognize the individual and provide benefits to the entire uoex community.
Johnny Warren
Legendary Scribe

Post by Johnny Warren »

Back in the day when we had GMs that would host more frequent events the rewards were ALWAYS just a trophy or sash. Never anything that had value beyond an acknowledgement. Player run events often had more valuable prizes. I can't get my head around this new generation of players always pushing to have a bigger better newer prize. Makes no sense to me. A sash saying "Player of the year 2022 - Well done Praise" is, and should be, the default prize.

I saw off the umbra invasion (every part of the original storyline). Fought through the original Fel Wrong event. Saved Moonglow. Won multiple hunger games with AE guildies. Shot the second biggest stag in the first ever hunting event. Won (and lost) plenty of capture the flag events. Multichamps. Graballs. Hide and Seeks. Plus half a hundred other events my old brain can't recall... Every single event I just mentioned gave you a sash (or rarely a lantern or wall hanging) with some words of acknowledgement. The sash was UOEX's default prize, and they were cool. I loved my collection of trophies and sashes (before they all went in my first housefalls). It was the event itself that was the prize. You don't need to tie some item that breaks the Fel travel paradigm, or a 200million gp item to an event to make the event better. All that does is encourage dodgy behaviour from players who want the prize. Have events for fun, not for prizes.
JOHNNY WARREN!
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

Perhaps it would be a nice thing to have a ceremony :)

As for rewards, well even a titan's hammer might be suitable for such an occasion. But we need to remember Goodhart's law in relation to this: When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure. So if we have big prizes this year, and it's to be expected next year, more people will put in the effort to be #1 ... now, this is good, as long as participants are doing it for the journey, not the destination. We could see a lot of awkward attempts at sucking up to people.

Since this competition was put together abruptly is the greatest part of it - we're measuring something that nobody was expecting, and so the results are quite "clean".

I really like the idea of somekind of a rune that could open up a moongate to one of the champion destinations. It would have to be limited a bit, maybe the winner could have such a rune that works 3x per week, and the #2 and #3 also the same kind of rune that works 1x per week, works for a few months. Well they are already announcing champs and putting bracelets on, so it would be just a quality of life improvement, and a nice acknowledgement. (The moongate would open in the towncenter, maybe even with an automatic announcement... so that this reward is used in the same spirit as the voting).

As for the guild-master voting, yeah there definitely is a bias. But I don't think those guilds are so big because of suspicious tactics to bring people in and get them to vote. One upgrade that I have in mind, also for the House decoration contest a month from now, is that you'd have to pick 3 players, and assign points to them in a way that at most 50% of the points can go to one player. That way we can make the voting a bit more diverse.

Thanks for writing about your point of view qbf/JohnWarren, yeah also the timezone matters.

In any case, when it comes to the rules, we have to consider all such votes that will happen throughout the years, next year's top-three players might be quite different. And so, as a gamemaster, I might like this year's selection and come up with a good argument why this player needs a big reward. Next year's top-three might not be to my personal liking and I'd come up with a good argument why the reward should be substantially smaller.

I think a token reward is best (or a quality-of-life thing like the rune to open a moongate):
- we eliminate this being just a contest to win the reward, and it's a genuine vote for someone who made a positive impact on the shard.
- no sour grapes.
+Colibri, Administrator of UO Excelsior Shard

Don't know what the purpose of your life is? Well then make something up! ;)
(Old Colibrian proverb)