OFFICIAL DOWNTIME THREAD

Anything you find suspicious, things that crash your client, things that crash the server, anything that doesnt work as it should.
Silent
Legendary Scribe

Re: OFFICIAL DOWNTIME THREAD

Post by Silent »

Connections are definitely not stable...
Lurking the forums since dec 2012
dreamstalker
Legendary Scribe

Post by dreamstalker »

am i mistaken or did we just "switch" to a new server few weeks ago. and now its being said that what was the current server "finally gave up the ghost" which in my mind implies that the "new" server we switched to never happened or the new server was actually an old server that just wasnt used in a while....if im mistaken in any of this plz enlighten me.......ty ty vm habd
I keep a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take an ass whoopin! just cause you aint paranoid doesnt mean they aint after you
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

So much about global inter-connectivity... yeah I hope it'll be soon too.

We switched in early May, it crashed a few times after that, and as I was kinda getting ready to move to another one, it became stable again - until now. It's a rented server, I can't see whether we're the first users or not, but the SSD disks had some wear, but they might have been used in another server. Still, it's possible for new servers to have faults, or they start after a few days/weeks/months.
+Colibri, Administrator of UO Excelsior Shard

Don't know what the purpose of your life is? Well then make something up! ;)
(Old Colibrian proverb)
sarmatian
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by sarmatian »

I is sad watching pings Chicago->New York. 75ms
Chicago->NY->London it is 140ms
remaining European route is "standard" 35ms
that is also my ping time from "Mittel Europe" to server in Slovenia.(go to Viena and then you will see the server lights :-) )

on the other hand it is "London closing time" and NY morning meetings time ... new norm
Typotopo
Passer by

Post by Typotopo »

+Colibri wrote:So much about global inter-connectivity... yeah I hope it'll be soon too.

We switched in early May, it crashed a few times after that, and as I was kinda getting ready to move to another one, it became stable again - until now. It's a rented server, I can't see whether we're the first users or not, but the SSD disks had some wear, but they might have been used in another server. Still, it's possible for new servers to have faults, or they start after a few days/weeks/months.
So basically instead of investing the money you get from donations back into the shard, you pocket it and get some cheap old server you found in a closet somewhere and run the shard from your basement so you can keep growing your bank account.

Nice to see the truth and your true colors keep coming out.
MagicUser
Elder Scribe

Post by MagicUser »

Typotopo wrote:So basically instead of investing the money you get from donations back into the shard, you pocket it and get some cheap old server you found in a closet somewhere and run the shard from your basement so you can keep growing your bank account.

Did you seriously just say that? Normally I wouldn't respond to something as patently insane as this, but I can't even imagine all the effort that +C has put in and then to see something like this... Sheesh. Get a life.

Keep doing what you're doing +C. All us experienced players know and appreciate all you do for the shard.
Respectfully,
Paroxysmus ILV Master Spellcaster
Wil
Legendary Scribe

Post by Wil »

As someone who has run a company with a small server hosting operation, let me tell you: dealing with a lemon server is one of the hardest problems there is.

You can't afford to throw a $3000 server in the trash just because the customer says, "I'm having intermittent crashes." It would put you permanently in the red for that customer.

Because the fault is intermittent, you can't reliably diagnose the problem.

You're too small to have an operation dedicated to taking lemon servers offline, diagnosing and repairing them.

Because it's a customer server, you can't add it to the midnight pages that should wake up the operations staff for immediate attention.

You certainly don't want to put your own services on a known-flaky server! As a small shop, your services aren't built with the redundancy to survive a hardware crash.

As a customer in this situation, you basically have to lay down the law and be confrontational about it: I'm declaring the server a lemon. You WILL put me on fresh hardware promptly or I'll consider the contract in breach and find another vendor. It sucks because it damages your relationship with the vendor for a while.
ButteryBiscuits
Elder Scribe

Post by ButteryBiscuits »

Typotopo wrote:
So basically instead of investing the money you get from donations back into the shard, you pocket it and get some cheap old server you found in a closet somewhere and run the shard from your basement so you can keep growing your bank account.

:lool:

Is this the same jackwagon who has to keep creating new accounts on the shard and forums cuz they are either banned or too much of a coward to post under their real player name? Not only are you obviously not a very nice person as you insist on badgering everyone here excessively and repeatedly, but you are a complete ignoramus concerning the amount of time/effort/money it takes to maintain servers and debug. There is a reason companies spend so much on just the part of their IT departments that keep the servers operational. No one here is perfect, including +C, but we don't claim to be.

Perhaps with a little maturity you might realize that the only person you are infecting with your poison is not anyone here, but just adding to the toxicity in your own life.

Peace out, brother. Hoping you can get some help and medication.
BB
---------------------------
ButteryBiscuits
in game name ButteryBiscuits
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mermaid_of_Warsaw
Matrix
Legendary Scribe

Post by Matrix »

Keep it update mate, but soon add the note "I have to do something to these trolls in the forum" on your board.
Please reply to me:
in-game: [pm Matrix
discord id: Matrixre
(Only checking the forums monthly)
(All prices can be change, ED to Gold to ED)
dreamstalker
Legendary Scribe

Post by dreamstalker »

anyone who has ever worked on puters up to and including low level soldering knows that sometimes.....shit happens!!!!! +C do what ya need to do , most or some of us will still be here when main server comes online :P dependin on where and what is causin the problem sometimes it can be an absolute bear to track down.... we will be waitin ......on our great server crash/migration/restart gift :)
I keep a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take an ass whoopin! just cause you aint paranoid doesnt mean they aint after you
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

Server is currently down to fix the issue with monsters giving uber loot and experience (mostly around x100). There will be a revert to the last save, at the server restart today before this started happening, which means a 3.5 hour revert.

Bit of a longer downtime because I'm tinkering with the windows settings and each time i restart the server it takes a while to get back online (server systems have a long boot time).

Will probably be back in about 15 minutes.

(Old Colibrian proverb)
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

Issue persists, so the server is down until i figure this out. Maybe a windows update broke something deep down in the core.

(Old Colibrian proverb)
robinw40
Apprentice Scribe

Post by robinw40 »

Thanks for the updates +C really appreciate all that you do to keep it going.

In-game Que
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

Problem solved! Server back online, and without any expectation for it to be restarted today.

Well, kinda - i didn't find the cause of the issue, but there's a temporary solution that works just as well.

Sorry for the ruined gaming day everyone! This is just a normal troubleshooting day for me, but these restarts happen on the development server, so there's no impending doom and worry whether the server will ever get back to stability. I would roll-back the changes and tinker with this in isolation, but there was no way to undo since I didn't know what was even causing it.

There will be cake (at the towncenter).

(Old Colibrian proverb)
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

For my fellow nerds out there, this was the problem.
Worked just fine before (no errors), now unexpected different behavior.
https://developercommunity.visualstudio ... lli/491060

(Old Colibrian proverb)