How to fix Razor, Virtual Memory error and screen flashes

Don't know how something works? Here you will find some useful links. And if you have a question, feel free to ask.
Svytlich
Novice Scribe

Re: How to fix Razor, Virtual Memory error and screen flashes

Post by Svytlich »

Ok. So my girlfriend told me that she is unable to do Mistvale Quests because our Client was out of date. We were using version 3c from the Excelsior web page, current version seems to be 4a. We had no problems running version 3c. I have a pretty good gaming machine that is a few years old but is capable of playing the latest games. 6GB of ram.

I downlaoded 4a, removed old version, installed and now get the dreaded memory error every time we try to launch. Get the error if trying to use UO Steam, Razor, or launch directly from client.exe.

I have gone through the steps labeled here, shutting off every single program that starts on boot, except avast. Set my VRam to 18,432 MB and ive got over 60 GB of space left on my C Drive. All programs set to XP Compatability and Run as Administrator... The program should run.

But I am still getting the memory error, every time.

If anyone could help that would be great. Thoughts? What else should I try?
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

Try rebooting the computer - yes, even if you already have - and then closing *everything* as soon as it boots. Then run the game, once it loads you're good to open your usual programs. Anything you leave running that touches the internet can contribute to the problem, so keep that in mind.
Svytlich
Novice Scribe

Post by Svytlich »

Looks like I am able to get in with all services off as well. I will slowly turn on critical ones to find what the limit is for UO to still work. Can report back with my findings, thank you +Nyx for your help. You really have to commit to this game haha, sacrificing all other operations on your machine haha.
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

Not really, once it's running you can open every single other thing your system usually runs. Even if you close the client you're unlikely to get the error again for a little while. I notice that on one of my systems it pretty much never happens unless I haven't rebooted the system in a few weeks. On another system, it doesn't happen much but when it does there's nothing that will fix it except the reboot and close everything option. It's to do with the fact that the game is so old, patching it confuses it a bit. :)
Svytlich
Novice Scribe

Post by Svytlich »

Great, thanks again for the help.

An update on my findings. Two programs that I have seem to be causing some of the memory issues. When disabling these I was able to log in:

Nvidia Experience: Basically setup and update software for my graphics card and drivers
Razer Synapse: I've got a Razer mouse and keyboard, this software is essentially setup and synchronizing software for those.

I've been able to add a few critical services that I want to start when my computer does, CrashPlan, what I use for data backup software, a few other things as well.

Advice to other people going through this. Run "msconfig" and turn off all non critical "Services" as well as "Startup" programs. Once the game launches, work backwards to add the services you want, but don't need, one at a time, applying the change and restarting after each one, to see what you can get away with. If I have more problems I will update.
losludvig
Passer by

Post by losludvig »

I had the same problem as well. My pc was idling at around 3.2GB RAM used, even when shutting more essential stuff down, and running a memory clean-up routine. After shaking my fist at my pc and dreading having to reinstall windows for a chance of UO working I started getting creative and after a while remembered a cool little utility for stuff like this:
http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threa ... re.112556/
This software enables most 32bit programs to become "Large Address Aware" meaning that they get access to more RAM than regular 32bit programs, and it turns out that if I use this utility on your "client.exe" located in your UO install folder, the game will run for me, even at 5.6/8GB RAM in use. Your mileage may of course vary, and I have no clue if this will work on 32bit versions of windows, but I get to play UO now, so I'm happy.

I hope this helps :)
Than
Passer by

Post by Than »

That's great. I was having all kinds of problems. I tried this last night and it worked perfectly. I have 16GB of system memory installed and was having to hurry to be sure I started UO as soon as the taskbar appeared, so it would be one of the first programs to run. On Startup, I'm using approximately 4 GB of memory, and I had increased my virtual Memory and shut down my Lcore.exe as +Nyx had outlined previously, none of that worked. This little utility work like a charm. Hopefully my experiment last night wasn't an isolated occurrence.
Thanks for posting this solution.
Snowdance
Apprentice Scribe

Post by Snowdance »

losludvig wrote:I had the same problem as well. My pc was idling at around 3.2GB RAM used, even when shutting more essential stuff down, and running a memory clean-up routine. After shaking my fist at my pc and dreading having to reinstall windows for a chance of UO working I started getting creative and after a while remembered a cool little utility for stuff like this:
This software enables most 32bit programs to become "Large Address Aware" meaning that they get access to more RAM than regular 32bit programs, and it turns out that if I use this utility on your "client.exe" located in your UO install folder, the game will run for me, even at 5.6/8GB RAM in use. Your mileage may of course vary, and I have no clue if this will work on 32bit versions of windows, but I get to play UO now, so I'm happy.

I have to say... for me this was a lifesaver. Thank you so much!
I had tried everything previous to this. I have 16GB so had previously updated my VRAM to the appropriate amount, I had done all the compatibility and admin changes, I had completely stripped everything from my bootup process (even my antivirus at one point) and was still getting a real hit-and-miss scenario with getting UOSteam to open the client without a memory error and I've been just living with it for the last year or so.
I ran this on the client.exe as you suggested and presto! It works!
Thanks! :)
brhanson2
Elder Scribe

Post by brhanson2 »

OMG this program is a lifesaver. I was so tired of the jockeying required to get UO back up after a reboot. Now it comes up EVERY Time.

I noticed that changing the virtual memory really does nothing. It was all about the order programs load. You could have 10 terabytes of virtual memory and UO can fail to load. This program fixes all of that.

Thank you!

Tostig

losludvig wrote:I had the same problem as well. My pc was idling at around 3.2GB RAM used, even when shutting more essential stuff down, and running a memory clean-up routine. After shaking my fist at my pc and dreading having to reinstall windows for a chance of UO working I started getting creative and after a while remembered a cool little utility for stuff like this:

PersistentPanda
Novice Scribe

Post by PersistentPanda »

JimTheDM wrote:*SNIP*
UO likes to start in the first 2GB of virtual ram so make sure all running programs are also closed before launching UO. This includes Browsers, other apps that may be running behind the scenes.*SNIP*
Nailed it! Once I nuked Skype and Chrome browser, the virtual memory error stopped happening. To be fair, I also switched from "automatically handle page files" to manual override at 4x my RAM (6gigs). Goodness knows that amount of RAM ought to have it handled!
ambivalence
Novice Scribe

Post by ambivalence »

been trying to get UOSteam working this past weekend and haven't had any success...so far i've tried:
  • increasing virtual memory to 16352 max
  • rebooting and/or reinstalling multiple times
  • installing older versions of UO steam
  • increasing hd free space
  • using msconfig to reduce number of programs on startup
  • using task manager to kill "memory intensive" programs after reboot (including svchosts)
  • starting in safemode
  • using 'large address aware' tool on client.exe
nothing has worked. i continue to get virtual memory errors. i just want to try uosteam for the autoloot functionality as the easyuo script posted in these forums crashes the client fairly often.

i think i've tried everything EXCEPT reinstalling the client but before i re-download it i just wanted to ask if that would even matter at this point. some of my specs are winXP sp3, core2 quad q9550, 3gig ram (4 installed)

other than having uosteam load during startup i'm out of ideas and kinda confused.
dreamstalker
Legendary Scribe

Post by dreamstalker »

try runnin malwarebytes anti malware the oom error can also be caused by virus/malware/spyware installed on the puter
I keep a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take an ass whoopin! just cause you aint paranoid doesnt mean they aint after you
timthree
Expert Scribe

Post by timthree »

Try using large address tool on your steam executable?
JimTheDM
Elder Scribe

Post by JimTheDM »

I would also make sure that all of the programs you are using for uo are running in compatibility mode and as administrator. There are directions for this further up in this post.
Jamkul
Guild Master
Ghost Walkers Guild (GW)
brhanson2
Elder Scribe

Post by brhanson2 »

Try this first. All the virtual memory in the world wont fix this issue.

timthree wrote:Try using large address tool on your steam executable?
Carzikan (formerly known as Tostig on Great Lakes)