How to fix Razor, Virtual Memory error and screen flashes

Don't know how something works? Here you will find some useful links. And if you have a question, feel free to ask.
ambivalence
Novice Scribe

Re: How to fix Razor, Virtual Memory error and screen flashes

Post by ambivalence »

thanks for the replies.

ran malwarebytes & spybot & avg --- all clean
tried using LAA tool on client.exe + uosteam.exe & all *.exe in UO folder
am using winXP SP3, in admin mode. tried unchecking the "protect" box when running uosteam.exe as well

still no luck. i even killed all my programs via task manager & all my svchosts until the bare essentials were running and a 1 min shutdown timer started popping up (killing svchosts ended up killing vital processes) and i continually got out of memory errors in uosteam. not sure what else to try (not sure if reinstalling or installing fresh and patching, etc would matter at all)...
JimTheDM
Elder Scribe

Post by JimTheDM »

Have you set your virtual Ram to 3 times the amount of your Ram (Steps are further up in this post). If your running XP you will need to do this.
Jamkul
Guild Master
Ghost Walkers Guild (GW)
Sailor Jerry
Elder Scribe

Post by Sailor Jerry »

Apologies for not reading the entire thread and if the following has already been mentioned.

My son and I ran into the issues mentioned in the original post with the addition of... "no longer responding" lock ups. Adjusting virtual memory didn't help with our issues and with Win10 doing so didn't make sense.

We both use Win10 and were having white-flashes, "no-longer responding" disconnects and finally virtual memory loading issues that locked us out. The following worked for us and I am hoping it will help others.

1) A clean restart followed by shutting down any background programs. Steam, Uplay, ETC.

Also, security programs, for us it was setting Norton to "Run Silent" which stops background processes.

2) Run as Admin & Set Compatibility to XP-3
Originally we only did this to Razor not thinking it still needed to run the UO exe. Everything clicked once we applied both settings to both Razor and the UO client executable.
Full throttle, half-bottle, fun lovin, script huggin gamer nerd...
a Napa Valley 1 Percenter
Mystery Man
Elder Scribe

Post by Mystery Man »

Well the quick fix for that is not to use Windows 10, other than that you will be fine :P
After everything i've been threw, i'm still smiling...Not because i'm strong...But because i'm crazy!
Now that should scare you.....
Sailor Jerry
Elder Scribe

Post by Sailor Jerry »

The issue is the same with Win 7, 8 and 10. Either way it's working great now, just needed the 2G limit increased or tricked.

Win10 Rocks!
Annachie
Elysium Beta Tester

Post by Annachie »

The issue, or at least one of the main ones, is that the client is an old program and wants to load in a certain part of the memory. If it's not available it chucks a hissy fit.

Same with +N's systems needing reboots. Memory leakage into that part of the memory that the client wants to start in.

Even some programs starting in the background can cause problems. For me it was Skype starting. One it started, UO would work.
Character name: Ebony
Sailor Jerry
Elder Scribe

Post by Sailor Jerry »

Annachie wrote:The issue, or at least one of the main ones, is that the client is an old program and wants to load in a certain part of the memory. If it's not available it chucks a hissy fit.

Same with +N's systems needing reboots. Memory leakage into that part of the memory that the client wants to start in.

Even some programs starting in the background can cause problems. For me it was Skype starting. One it started, UO would work.
Agreed, this is (as you mentioned) an old program issue and not specific to old or new operating systems. Just making sure to keep my review of Win10 in check... a completely different discussion, elsewhere.
brhanson2
Elder Scribe

Post by brhanson2 »

This works every time. Allows programs to use upper memory, no more memory error.

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threa ... re.112556/
Carzikan (formerly known as Tostig on Great Lakes)
Khayman
Passer by

Post by Khayman »

brhanson2 wrote:This works every time. Allows programs to use upper memory, no more memory error.

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threa ... re.112556/
This worked for me for both UOSteam and UO Client. I had tried about a dozen other suggestions from people in game and online and this was the only thing that worked. I use WIN7 64-bit with 32GB RAM.
dreamstalker
Legendary Scribe

Post by dreamstalker »

the white flashes i believe are specific to razor. i got them alot 2 years ago b4 switching to steam.. razor will get rid of them if you set a hotkey to a macro like teleport or somethin... seems like razor waits for macro when it doesnt get one it crashes uo...
ive upgraded to win 10 on few puters no problems after doin upgrade then installin win 10 iso to jump drive. then do clean reinstall ... did it that way cause had some probs after the upgrade ( never ever ever do upgrades full clean install of win is always best). now on 2 laptops i have to run admin, winxpsp3 for all to work properly... on this laptop if i check compat mode it wont run at all lol...
FYI i have never had a white screen or uo crash that was caused by UOsteam... usually i crash either in travesty 2 key hallway or easyuo crashes me with bout 10 scripts runnin ... and no way afk when harvestin anything ( even when harvesting the lint in my belly button !!!! yall have a very blessed day
I keep a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take an ass whoopin! just cause you aint paranoid doesnt mean they aint after you
Gaara
Legendary Scribe

Post by Gaara »

oops double post
Last edited by Gaara on Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gaara
Legendary Scribe

Post by Gaara »

dreamstalker wrote:the white flashes i believe are specific to razor.
Quote from the RunUO forums, should fix the white flashes :nod:
Turn off "use smart cpu usage reduction" under the general tab
right click on razor and go to properties
run in windows compatibility mode for XP
run as an administrator