lockpicking

Don't know how something works? Here you will find some useful links. And if you have a question, feel free to ask.
nocturne7saint
Elder Scribe

lockpicking

Post by nocturne7saint »

so in all my years of playing uo, i have never once attempted to level lockpicking and disarm trap.

I don't know where to begin to start leveling it. I think i remember people using tinker made boxes, but i don't know much about that?

so where do i begin to train lockpicking and disarm trap? i never see player made locked boxes on venders, so who do people go on leveling this?

found practice locks my skill is 29, but it wont let me pick copper or bronze locks, so im lost at what to do.
blackstone from the ILV guild
Wil
Legendary Scribe

Re: lockpicking

Post by Wil »

Do you have extra character slots? Use them to set up characters with various tinkering skill levels and make boxes at each one, from iron through blaze.
nocturne7saint
Elder Scribe

Post by nocturne7saint »

i got to the point i can use bronze lockpicks on bronze practice boxes.

tried making a macro but its not quite working out. i don't know much about macros, but this macro just stops after it tries to open the box

Code: Select all

useobject 0x461d4528
waitfortarget 15000
target! 0x490b9582
waitforgump 3508768218 15000
so do i have to match the lockpick material with the lock material? can i breeze through this in any way?
Eremite
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Eremite »

Lockpicking is really easy to level. As Wil mentioned, you can use tinkering at different levels to make lockable boxes, then lock them with the key, then unlock with a lockpick.

Start a character with Tinkering at some level, then enough Carpentry to make a box, then maybe some Lumberjacking if you don't want to have to transfer boards. You can make a 50 tinkering skill char easily, then make maybe a 30 and use the skill ball, etc to fiddle with the end level. Lock level is based on tinkering skill. ;p

I forget how high you can go that way... I think you can get GM, but at some point, no matter how good the box, you can't gain from player-made boxes and will need some practice ice locks which are pretty cheap.

I went all the way to 100 LP with iron picks, then I used the lowest rank pick I could that would let me try picking the ice locks.

For remove trap, cast "Magic Trap" on a random box in your inventory, then use Remove Trap on it until you reach around 80 skill.

After 80, you're in for some PAIN. Agapite locks will rarely give a skillup because they're too easy, but some will. Blaze locks are prone to getting stuck in a remove-trap loop where you can't remove the trap, but also can't get a skillup.

Find a place with a lot of Agapite and Blaze locks, then just spam remove trap on them - if you don't get a skillup within like 10 tries, step 1 step away, use the chest to trigger it, then go back to loot it.

It's going to suck a lot for quite a while - 80-85 is torture and it speeds up from there.

I have a script here for UOS that's pretty much a one-button lockpick + remove trap + loot thing: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=14141
nocturne7saint
Elder Scribe

Post by nocturne7saint »

Eremite wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:46 am
Lockpicking is really easy to level. As Wil mentioned, you can use tinkering at different levels to make lockable boxes, then lock them with the key, then unlock with a lockpick.

Start a character with Tinkering at some level, then enough Carpentry to make a box, then maybe some Lumberjacking if you don't want to have to transfer boards. You can make a 50 tinkering skill char easily, then make maybe a 30 and use the skill ball, etc to fiddle with the end level. Lock level is based on tinkering skill. ;p

I forget how high you can go that way... I think you can get GM, but at some point, no matter how good the box, you can't gain from player-made boxes and will need some practice ice locks which are pretty cheap.

I went all the way to 100 LP with iron picks, then I used the lowest rank pick I could that would let me try picking the ice locks.

For remove trap, cast "Magic Trap" on a random box in your inventory, then use Remove Trap on it until you reach around 80 skill.

After 80, you're in for some PAIN. Agapite locks will rarely give a skillup because they're too easy, but some will. Blaze locks are prone to getting stuck in a remove-trap loop where you can't remove the trap, but also can't get a skillup.

Find a place with a lot of Agapite and Blaze locks, then just spam remove trap on them - if you don't get a skillup within like 10 tries, step 1 step away, use the chest to trigger it, then go back to loot it.

It's going to suck a lot for quite a while - 80-85 is torture and it speeds up from there.

I have a script here for UOS that's pretty much a one-button lockpick + remove trap + loot thing: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=14141
having a problem with the macro, when it opens the practice lock, it tries to disarm, then tells me i don't have enough skill for this lock, then loops to disarm and the message over and over again.
Eremite
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Eremite »

Aah, woops, that's not for using the practice lock, it's for picking or looting dungeon chests that spawn. :D

For using a practice lock, you can just do like:

* useobject Lockpicks
* waitfortarget 1000
* target! PracticeLock

If the ice lock is saying you don't have enough skill, you'd have to use a lower-level practice lock or use a higher-level pick material.
nocturne7saint
Elder Scribe

Post by nocturne7saint »

Eremite wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:02 pm
Aah, woops, that's not for using the practice lock, it's for picking or looting dungeon chests that spawn. :D

For using a practice lock, you can just do like:

* useobject Lockpicks
* waitfortarget 1000
* target! PracticeLock

If the ice lock is saying you don't have enough skill, you'd have to use a lower-level practice lock or use a higher-level pick material.
so i took the macro and took the * asterisks off, all it does is ask what i want to pick, but shows no crosshair to choose the lockpicks or box
Eremite
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Eremite »

That wasn't an actual macro, that was just pseudocode to show what the macro would need to do. It would technically work if you set aliases for Lockpicks and PracticeLock:

https://files.theabyss.ru/uokr/uosteam_doc.pdf

Here's something more robust that you can edit as needed. Just need at least one practice lock in your main backpack container, then lockpicks in main backpack or one level deep. It'll loop through all your practice locks until you run out of them. (or if you run out of lockpicks, I guess)

Code: Select all

// Set the practice lock alias if it's not already defined.
// Stop if no practice lock in main backpack.
if not @findobject 'practicelock' 'any' 'backpack'
  if @findtype 0x1e80 'any' 'backpack' 'any' 0
    setalias 'practicelock' 'found'
  else
    headmsg 'No practice lock in backpack.' 33 'self'
    stop
  endif
endif
// If we found a practice lock, use any picks in inventory
//   to try lock picking until it wears out.
if @findobject 'practicelock' 'any' 'backpack'
  while @findobject 'practicelock' 'any' 'backpack'
    @usetype 0x14fc 'any' 'backpack' 1
    waitfortarget 1500
    target! 'practicelock'
    pause 3500
  endwhile
else
  replay
endif
nocturne7saint
Elder Scribe

Post by nocturne7saint »

So my lockpicking is at 97-98. What do i use to get it to 120? how many iron picks do you think I'm going to need? or will i need higher up picks to get it to 120?
Eremite
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Eremite »

I think that's about where you have to start using practice locks. I used Ice Locks because I had a ton of them available from picking Blaze Chests in dungeons. You'll need higher than iron picks though. It's been a while, but I think I needed Platinum for a bit, then after some skillups, you can downgrade to Electrum for faster gains, then down to Toxic, etc.

Don't remember the exact numbers/levels for skill and which picks to use. ;p