Windows 10 (SUCKS!) Update disabled UOSteam

Don't know how something works? Here you will find some useful links. And if you have a question, feel free to ask.
GreenBar
Grandmaster Scribe

Windows 10 (SUCKS!) Update disabled UOSteam

Post by GreenBar »

Windows 10 (SUCKS!) installed an update today and now UOSteam won't load. EasyUO still works. UOAM still work. UO base client still works and my characters and their desktops are still there. UOSteam on a second PC without the update still works. On my main internet computer, UOSteam Launcher opens but when Start is selected it closes without opening the UO Client.

Anyone experience something like this with Windows 10 (SUCKS!)? I've re specified the UO folder. I've tried switching from auto detect to specifying client.exe in that folder. I've verified shard is still shard.uoex.net port 60. I've verified remove encryption is checked while remove stamina check and encryption required are not. Doesn't seem to be anything change on the PC except the new Windows 10 (SUCKS!) update. I even tried downloaded a fresh copy of UOSteam without success.

Won't have time for a couple weeks to seriously look at switching to Orion or doing a major fix to get UOSteam working again. Hoping someone else encountered this and there's a quick solution to keep doing 6-7 minute Artistic Elf runs.
Last edited by GreenBar on Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GreenBar
Grandmaster Scribe

Re: Windows 10 (SUCKS!) Update disabled UOSteam

Post by GreenBar »

Searching the internet and there appears to be a plethora (Would you say I have a plethora of pinatas?) of things Windows 10(SUCKS!) breaks in its updates. Looks to be a long standing tradition for their updates to regularly break applications.
GreenBar
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by GreenBar »

Found a solution. Start->Settings->Update & Security->Recovery-Restore Previous Version. UOSteam is working again though still slugish as can be. You can revert within 10 days of an update. Which is unfortunate as I think it was the update before todays that started causing issues with UOSteam. Can't back that update out now, windows 10 (SUCKS!) When I've time will seriously look into switching over to Linux with a windows compatible layer like Wine.
tiggerjlk
Elder Scribe

Post by tiggerjlk »

That is odd. Do you have a 3rd party Firewall running that blocked UO? I have been running Windows 10 since the development version, and have never had an issue, other the getting UO to work on a 4k monitor. But that is more of a UO age issue.
Soylentgreen
GreenBar
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by GreenBar »

tiggerjlk wrote:That is odd. Do you have a 3rd party Firewall running that blocked UO? I have been running Windows 10 since the development version, and have never had an issue, other the getting UO to work on a 4k monitor. But that is more of a UO age issue.
Never had a problem with Windows 10 and UOSteam either until the last two updates. Last week's caused some major lag when running UOSteam. UO client alone was fine. Yesterday's update disable UOSteam. Again UO Client was fine.
GreenBar
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by GreenBar »

Just an update. Guildie (thanks Cam) suggested I try an older PC. Dusted off my 12 year old ASUS laptop running Windows 7. UOSteam is running back at normal speed. Steam macros that were buggy are now running smoothly. Definitely something in my Windows 10 that doesn't like the UOSteam client.