Reagan: new Character playing only in felc

Grab a cup of coffe and attend to the more simple things in life.
Nick
Legendary Scribe
Location: PA native, liveing in NC right now Moveing to TX in march

Reagan: new Character playing only in felc

Post by Nick »

Part 1
I am trying to see how far I can get as a Character playing only in our felc; and part of that is not power gaming/leveling by having other players bring me things I need or want. My name in game is Reagan and I am a new Character however, I have played Ultima Online on our shard for a very long time. Please do not feel slighted or think me ungrateful when I turn down your offers of help and gifts. Most of your advice is quite sound but as I am playing only in felc most of it does not apply. Thoughts of you that do have good ideas (particularly where NPC vendors are located) I have been grateful.

20221214 Newly arrived in the world a Paladin of Helm and life has been hard. Restless souls at the gate proved good practice but, with no way to heal I had to run. Whilst on the run a nasty Umm chewed upon my bum, and my pack lama. Found an alter by an island named Sgáil that was able to return my spirt to my body as well as bring my pack lama back. Been hunting eagles however, the tithes to helm for the healing spells eats up more gold than I am making… Well fuck, I was running about when an umm jumped me and I saw a hole in the ground so, I dove in it, but it was an ant person burrow. Lost my pack lama there and could sense them spirt waiting to be resurrected but, that magical stone was too far. I paced back and forth learning to hide and sneak in the shadows from the ant people I’ve gotten better at it but, I have lost all my gear except my book of chivalry from Helm. Even if he doesn’t seem to answer my prayers anymore.

20221215 Well good news, I discovered a connection to the goddess Mielikki and she showed me a way to draw on the spirits of those recently slain to heal myself or even to use my mental reserves to heal myself if no dead were available though the use of Spirt Speak. This low-cost way of healing myself has allowed me to stand and fight without relaying on Helms spells to heal myself. Though with no weapons or armor I can’t say I’ve been doing much actual fighting; mostly just running. Most of the towns seem over run and abandoned though some of them still have banks and working shrines to various gods.

20221216 I’ve mainly mastered hiding and sneaking though this Antman infested cave and have found my way to the lost lands. I was hoping to find a town or refuge where I could reestablish myself however, ever town I come to has been overrun by dragons, or the undead. Been practicing my wrestling but, I can’t even seem to punch an eagle to death. I need a sword.

20221217 Wrestling maybe the least viable fighting skill in the world. I can’t kill a damn thing at least Mielikki is keeping me alive with the Spirt Speak and she has also, shown me some of the animal lore in the forest and I hope to be able to tame a horse at some point. Running of foot is so slow; cant outpace the Umms. I have taken to just walking everywhere in stealth because these Umms that rule the world can not be harmed nor outran but they can’t seem to find me when hidden. Travel is painfully slow.

20221218 made it back to the entrance to the world and have been fighting with the restless souls finally killed a few AND I GOT A SWORD!!! Its more of a fencing rapier then what I am used to but, no matter. Its infinitely better then my fists, I will learn. There is a Priest of Waukeen named Alfred in the overran town near by but dead and demons are everywhere; his Healers shop is safe enough though he laughs at me each time I come to him for aid. Tells me of a book and spells he can sell me but, the empty book alone is 5,000 gold. That’s a lot of restless souls to kill just for the hope of killing Umms.

20221219 I have recovered a club and been training hard with it; killing restless souls is good practice. I am really learning a lot about anatomy and tactics as well as parrying their blows with a buckler. I recovered the cutest top that seems to be allow me to see in the dark which has been lovely. Almost have enough for this spell book and the spell “smite” which Alfred the Priest of Waukeen promises me can harm an Umm. Greedy bastard better not be trying to just sell me something. Talked to him a few times over the last few days; seems he took some advanced pay at one point and lost it all and that’s why he still mans a healers shop in a over ran town.

20221220 Killed my first orc today. I bought my spell book and am off to find buccaneer’s den which is rumored to have a working leather shop. I may not be able to carry much leather to be sold but, I can certainly use some pouches and bags. Sadly “smite” is not the all-powerful spell Alfred made it out to be, yes it harms Umms but, it doesn’t kill them outright. Now the bastard tells me there is another spell *for only another 1,000 gold* that will let me summon a magical hammer that does energy damage which is what Umm can be killed with. This Hammer of Faith better be the answer to killing ums they make this world impossible.

20221221 Killed my first troll today though Umms are still beyond me as are dire wolves nasty fanged creatures. My ability to tame horses has greatly increased found some packhorses in an abandoned stable and I have put them somewhere safe for now. I am hoping to bond with them and be able to keep them to store items on; I now have a large selection of back up weapons and assorted armor I have looted. Getting pretty good with this Hammer of Faith and mace fighting though I still can’t hit an Umm. I did find a champion spawn active in the mountains and killed rats and slimes for a long while for some gold but, mainly to practice with my mace. Some other adventures did show up who were powerful beyond words and together we were able to kill a rat man who seemed to be the boss of the area and I was rewarded with a Swordsmanship scroll of secrets and more gold than I could hope to carry. Knowing the Umms would just take my gold before I could find a bank, I traded 40,000 gold (My mother can you fathom I was even in possession of that much gold) for a mace scroll of secrets he seemed not to need. I got to keep the boss’s hat. I think I look cute in it. Though as he died he cursed me and I was a ratman for a time though now I am back in my true human form my skin is still very pale.

20221222 I Killed my first Umm today, bugger chased me into Destard’s dungeon door, and I was able to make it in and bar the entrance somehow but, instead of simply hiding in my hole I was able to just out and smite him and jump back in the cave, Meditate and then jump out and smite him again. I can see the smug look on Alfreds face now if I let slip that his spell worked to kill an Umm. I spent most of the rest of the day slaughtering orcs, nearly cleared out an infestation in a cave to the west of Destard; the ork lords were fine fighters but, the orc mages were truly something to be feared Gruumsh has blessed his orc mages with some fierce spells. After this prolonged battle I feel I have a firm grasp on tactics and my skill with a mace his greatly improved. I found a Packy Lama wondering about must have been the remnants of a caravan that was ambushed by trolls; Mielikki enabled me to tame its spirt and I took vengeance on its prior owners by hunting down and slaying a dozen trolls (and a few ents, by Helm this world is infested). I slipped into the shadows up on the walls of Trinsic and scouted out the city, it is completely overrun by the undead. No shops remain open besides the consecrated ground in the healer’s shop that is still manned by a Healing priest, I did not get close enough to see which god he served probably Tymora the Lucky fool to survive such a cataclysm that destroyed the rest of the city.

20221223 I Killed a lot of trolls today have also been visiting some Champion spawn areas, I’m not of much help but, I have been able to use my club and Shadow Strike the fleeing spawn to death. Then pull out a bow and shoot the Boss when they spawn. Sadly, I jumped in the wrong sparkle at Terathan Keep and ended up in a horrible dungeon called Deceit and was killed along with my new ridable pack-lama. Later during one of the MOA champs a kind Knight tamed the mule the boss was riding which functioned like a ridable pack lama. I shall have to protect this one I need to raise my taming so, I can either capture a giant beetle or maybe re-tame a mule when this one inevitably dies. I wish there were some animal tamer shops in this world. I could really use a stable. I did find a representative of the Lady of Might and the Mistress of Magic, Mystra the god of magic, alone in the woods near a cave. He was able to sell me a spell book and I added a bunch of the spells that I’ve been able to save up. He sells regents too so, training up my magic will be much easier than I had feared will cost some gold but with no other shops gold is almost useless to me. Another kind Knight I met at Barracoon the master of the Vermin Horde Champion Spawn took pity on me and had his Squire Sew up the torn leather of my Skirt and Bustier which I must admit were beginning to fall apart;
Reagans outfit 23DEC.png
Reagans outfit 23DEC.png (37.88 KiB) Viewed 2863 times
this world is quite rough upon articles of clothing and with no sewing kits to be found repairs have proven imposable. Heard rumors of traveling traders which can cash out these kill tokens though, for what I am not sure; man talked of a leveled weapon deed which seems pointless as I’ve worn out 3 clubs alone today.

20221224 I spent over 80,000 gold buying regents from the avatar of Mystra the god of magic and practicing the spells I’ve been collecting over the last 10 day, I am so close to being a master of Magic however, I only have one 7th level spell (energy field) and two 8th level (summon demon and summon fire element) so finishing my training has been hard. My pack mules deaths have become monumentally burdensome as the only place in the accursed world to resurrect by dead pets is in the extreme west of the world in a place called Sgáil and it takes an immense amount of time to lead my dead pets ghost to the shrine. Of course, the Priest of Waukeen was all too eager to sell me bandages to train with, Alfred has taken more of my money then the monsters of the forest. I tamed some pigs, and goats and forced them to fight each other while I healed them, I feel I am learning quickly and it won’t be long until I am able to resurrect my own pets. I need to finish this solun hive quest as well, summoning my pet from place to place would be a game changer. I also need to start hunting down gargoyles and collecting gargoyle pickaxes, I need to obtain a tinkers kit and then ill have access to tools.

20221225 Finished mastering veterinary skills and can now bring by packy back to life upon death, I should have done that ages ago it has made my life immensely better. I spent a good amount of time training up my mining skills however, the ore is so heave I went scouting to see if I could find any mines with forges in them. Only ones I could find were filled with orcs so, I suited up and worked at driving them out. Having master magic I am now able to summon a Daemon to help me fight and it is quite productive, I take my club and shadow strike around the edges of the fray and we can kill 8-12 orcs and orc Lords at a time.
Daemon helps kill orcs and mine.png
Daemon helps kill orcs and mine.png (145.71 KiB) Viewed 2809 times
Then the Daemon can guard me and my packy whilst we mine ore, quite efficient. I am certain I will be ready to face down some Summoned ore Elements by the time I master mining. Found two tambourines and a large standing harp as well, my skill is now high enough to pacify most creatures. Will make taming a giant beetle must more feasible.

20221226 Today I worked hard at mastering Magic and realized that there are many supporting attributes that must also be studied in order to be more effective. With that in mind I had Alfred show me the right directing on how to evaluate a creature’s intelligence and how to resist spells with just the power of my mind. This training took up most of the day and I must admit I still have not mastered resisting spells yet though, the promise of cerebral armor against magic users is quite alluring and will most certainly come in handy against the bane of my existence THE UMM THREAT. I am not quite sure how to master inscription yet, as the number of scrolls and regents would be significant but, I will be keeping my eyes out for a good library to study in. A nice young man came through the portal looking for Iron Ingots, I only had Iron ore as I haven’t been able to get find a workable forge as of yet, was able to off load the weight of 121 ore for 121 gold coins, I’m sure refined ore and the ingots of metal will be worth more but, at least I have established myself as a trustworthy and reliable trader in the Portal Free Trade Zone.

20221227 Today I found a new (NPC) tamer shop working in the world. The lovely druid Nurine made immortal by Mielikki herself as a beacon of hope in are over ran world still man’s her shop in DeluciaI even though it is overrun by Umms, linches and thousands of undead.
NPC Nerine the Animal Trainer in Delucia.png
NPC Nerine the Animal Trainer in Delucia.png (112.26 KiB) Viewed 2755 times
I was able to buy taming brushes to train taming as well as pet shrink potions. As her stable is operational if I kill the undead in a room I can unshrink my pets and stable them. This will also allow me to bond with more creatures (my pack mules will be much more useful if I don’t after worry about losing them forever. Feeling im ready to kill elementals for tinkering tools I searched the world for gargoyles, and I found few dozen but none of them had any the required mythical pickaxes. I ended up in the Orc mines again and killed hundreds of orcs but still didn’t make it past the front wooden palisade. I fear I may require allies to fight my way through to the forges, sadly those that I have met seem to be inter plane traveling gods who aren’t befitting friends for a Felc survivor like me.

20221228 Today I scores of gargoyles but, I found no pickaxes. I traveled deep into the lost lands and in fire dungeon I found a fire champ spawn with hundreds of gargoyles however, though I killed many I was not able to loot a single Pickaxe. I will keep after it and I am sure I will find one eventually. Sadly, I didn’t bring enough regents with me on my trip and can no longer cast blade spirits which are quite effect against the hordes of Monbats and imps. I was able to assassinate 4 Succubus, one at a time of course, shadow striking with my club and using Helms code of Chivalry spell let me send these vial demons to back to hell, which was quite necessary because their magic would dispel my blade spirits.

20221229 Today I spent a second day hunting gargoyles and after killing over 200 I finally got a gargoyles pickaxe, though it only has 10 uses; I fear I may not even be able to summon an element much less bet lucky enough to get one with a tinker kit on it however, I will have to try to spawn the beast; and pray to Tymora for luck. I have been underground in fire dungeon for almost 2 days and am out of regents so, staying longer in hope of getting another Pickaxe is not realistic. The fight ahead will be hard but I feel I am prepared.

20221230 I fought my way to the surface world from fire dungeon with me newly acquired gargoyle pickaxe. After stopping by the Brit bank to deposit some gold and pick up enough regents to fight. I stopped by the Cats lair to see Kakra
NPC Kakra The Barkeeper in Brit.png
NPC Kakra The Barkeeper in Brit.png (69.84 KiB) Viewed 2722 times
and get a drink; missed the sound of other humans voice and the crackle of a fire that was not trying to kill me. After drinking some liquid courage, I rode my mule down to Destard to try and spawn an or element, sadly I was unsuccessful. Perhaps I need to improve my mining skill however, all I got was iron ore and no elementals of any type; hope is lost for now of obtaining a tinkers tool kit. I dread heading back to fire dungeon it is a dark foreboding place far from the Cats Lair which is the closest thing to a home I have in this world. In despair I rolled out my bed roll and camped out in Destard. Perhaps I will work on my skills as a miner tomorrow.

20221231 cleared out the orc cave near Destard but found no shovels ore pickaxes among the dead. I need to work on my mining but, I need tools to work on that skill. Went back to the Cats Lair and dank myself into a stupor over my bad luck. Kakra was more than happy to serve me though the crowd was less then friendly.

20230101 I fought off my hangover and picked up many regents from the bank at brit. Didn’t want to run out as I was going on a multi-day orc hunting trip to stock up on shovels and alcohol (not to mention orcs have plenty of cooked ribs which are better than the apples I’ve been living on) I went to the main orc mine and sent dozens of blade spirts down the tunnels and even found a orc slayer club that can call lighting down from the sky on the body of a dead orc lord. After a protracted battle I killed everything on the first level of their strong hold but feared to venture down to the second layer. I recovered 5 shovels today; I will need at least twice that many to call this a successful hunting trip. Plenty of mead and wine though so at least I can fight with a good buzz.
Last edited by Nick on Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:52 pm, edited 15 times in total.
Nick
Legendary Scribe

Re: Reagan: new Character playing only in felc

Post by Nick »

part 2 (apparently you can only post 4 pictures in a single post)

20230102 Spent most of the day killing orcs which was pleasant enough. Blade spirits makes my work much easier mighty thankful to Mystra the god of magic for keeping an Acolyte alive in this world to learn magic from, is also one of the only uses for gold buying regents. Cleared the orc cave level one completely and kept it clear for a good while however, the villainous scum keeps sneaking back in from down below is not a safe place to mine. I recovered eight more shovels which is still not enough.

20230103 another day in the orc cave slaughtering orcs, I ace worn down my orc slaying club to a nub will need to tuck it away until I can repair it quite like the thing. Having collected another seven shovels, I feel I am ready to go work on training up my mining skills. But first to visit the bank, made over 25,000 gold which I need to use to replenish my regents. Checked a few of the champs however, no interplanar knights showed up to help with the one champ I did find. Killed a few thousand of level one crafter minions however, I couldn’t get it past level 2 on my own, very good training however.

20230104 Spent most of the day mining I am discovering some colored ores now, and I found a house with a forge I was able to get working so, I can now smelt my ores now. There were even some chickens on the farm I have been able to tame and fill that Bulk Order Deed that lovely druid Nurine gave me; now I just have to travel back to the lost lands to return it and claim my prize. The iron is much more portable than the raw ore. Maybe someday I will find a merchant to sell the ore to, or even take up black smithing myself. Spent a lot of money buying regents don’t want to run out and that’s all gold is really good for in this world.

20230105 Completed a crafter champ spawn today with some of the interplanar knights got some gold but, most importantly, of all I was able to loot some more arrows sadly I was again un able to tame the mule that the boss road. I just don’t have the skills yet, need to keep practicing. My mineing has been coming along greatly, not a master yet but getting close though, I fear I will run out of shovels before I master this craft. Met a knight from a plane called Trammel today I was banking some regents and gold and they came running in with a bone mage chasing them. Took them to the Cat’s Lair for a drink, sadly they drank too much and latterly died! I was able to resurrect him using a spell from the god Waukeen that Alfred Sold me cost me 50 gold though.
Solomando Too Drinks at Cat's Lair.png
Solomando Too Drinks at Cat's Lair.png (661.73 KiB) Viewed 2637 times
Last edited by Nick on Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deorum
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Deorum »

A player named Relysis I used to play with a lot a handful of years ago did this same thing (under an alt named Sisyler). He had a blast and said it was much, much harder than anticipated to go from new char to anything survivable while living only in Fel with no house, etc. Even to bank box items was a challenge. Have fun!
Cerrera
Legendary Scribe

Post by Cerrera »

Know that Delucca, Britain, Bucaneers den has bankers. Am not shure, but check castle and house of blacksmith near brit sw bridge, not shure but perhaps there is some training dummies.
Nick
Legendary Scribe

Post by Nick »

I I did use the training dummy's on the top of the castle near Brit SW bridge... However, you can only get to 25 on them.
Zanzi
Elder Scribe

Post by Zanzi »

First of all thank you for posting. I truly enjoyed reading this. It reminded me SO MUCH of my first UO experience back around 1997/1998 “ish”. I still remembered having to share my desktop on dial up connection through AOL with wife and my brother to play UO. We paid for 3 accounts but couldn’t play together for almost a year. We took turns playing almost around the clock. Your stories reminded me how we die so much to everything, of course, including PKers.

If you continued to play in fel please keep posting. I don’t have the stomach to go through it myself but so good to just read about your adventures.
Nick
Legendary Scribe

Post by Nick »

Zanzi wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:08 pm
If you continued to play in fel please keep posting. I don’t have the stomach to go through it myself but so good to just read about your adventures.
Thank you for the response, It is good to know that someone enjoys my toons journal. Did not want to annoy people to much.

I have been editing the original entry and adding in My updates as I go. Seems like the best way to keep them in the same place and in order and not spam the front page with my private adventures each day.

I remember being like 9/10 years old and finally being allowed to make my own account and I would follow my dad and his friends around and skin out all their kills like a digital slave. However, I had a blast and those are good memories. I do wish my dad or brothers would play here some.
Nick
Legendary Scribe

Post by Nick »

Does anyone know if there is a limit of 4 photo attachments? I keep trying to update Reagen's journal (first post) and it lets me add text but not screen shots... does that mean I need to break up the entries anytime i want to add a 5th picture? plz advise
Gaara
Legendary Scribe

Post by Gaara »

Nick wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:17 am
Does anyone know if there is a limit of 4 photo attachments? I keep trying to update Reagen's journal (first post) and it lets me add text but not screen shots... does that mean I need to break up the entries anytime i want to add a 5th picture? plz advise
You should use an image hosting site (imgur, postimages, there's many more) and link the image here, no limits with that. :)
ButteryBiscuits
Elder Scribe

Post by ButteryBiscuits »

Please don't post image links to imgur etc. It is super annoying and many of them want you to create an account to look at images. Someone said you can only post 4 pics in a post. I know you can do at least 2 in a post. Just make more posts =)
BB
---------------------------
ButteryBiscuits
in game name ButteryBiscuits
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mermaid_of_Warsaw