Ukraine

Grab a cup of coffe and attend to the more simple things in life.
apocalypse
Elder Scribe

Ukraine

Post by apocalypse »

Maybe it would be nice to have something in game to show support for the people of Ukraine?
Thoughts? Just throwing it out there...
Jean Luc Picard in game
Praise
Master Scribe

Re: Ukraine

Post by Praise »

I like the idea.
Praise
Gaara
Legendary Scribe

Post by Gaara »

Worthless virtue signaling if you ask me.

Don't get me wrong, i'm on Ukraine's side. Hell, i live in Finland. Next to Russia. Let's just say we got a bit of history... But this is a video game, there's no need to bring real world politics in here.

Unless +C feels like it, of course, but as far as i remember he hasn't before.
culichi
Legendary Scribe

Post by culichi »

Gaara wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:59 am
this is a video game, there's no need to bring real world politics in here
im afraid it would also encourage comments that could make ethnic russian players feel unwelcome here. not all russians live in russia or support putin.
Silent
Legendary Scribe

Post by Silent »

The only real support is preserving the Ukrainian account from poofing. And that can only be done by +C.
Lurking the forums since dec 2012
sarmatian
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by sarmatian »

Gaara wrote:
Agreed. Waving hand from the south ...
The only possible help is verbotten by Dept of Commerce (all those pesky export licenses for optics, night vision, thermal sights, parts ...)
If you can, stop siphoning all ammo :-) leave something for rest of the world ...
apocalypse
Elder Scribe

Post by apocalypse »

Gaara wrote:

Don't get me wrong, i'm on Ukraine's side. Hell, i live in Finland. Next to Russia. Let's just say we got a bit of history... But this is a video game, there's no need to bring real world politics in here.

There is a deco item where you can light a candle for the memorial of the 9-11 attacks in the USA.

I'm not trying to get everyone talking about politics, but I think everyone should agree that it is a tragic loss of life?
Jean Luc Picard in game
culichi
Legendary Scribe

Post by culichi »

apocalypse wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:04 am
Gaara wrote:

There is a deco item where you can light a candle for the memorial of the 9-11 attacks in the USA.

I'm not trying to get everyone talking about politics, but I think everyone should agree that it is a tragic loss of life?
i do agree with you luc im just skittish about anything political last few years and enjoy not having to hear about it (for the most part) when i play uo. we should be able to say or do something to remember all the innocents killed by war but im sure someone who has no real opinion or care about it at all will use it to troll.
Cerrera
Legendary Scribe

Post by Cerrera »

Agree that some deco wouldn't help them at any cases. Agree that attacking other people is evil, agree than next sousage part (especially if its too much) wouldn't help anyone as armor. Agree that anything as this server can help is not deleting accounts. Also i agree with one player who noted that this is happening for eight years. Nobody cared and clapped with ear when they was fighting each other, also nobody cared when such things was happening in other countries. I will say why everyone is watching and shaking finger, cause they are damn afraid. When one country goes against other, that makes others be aware about not sharing these events. So, this truth keeping must accompany you daily, not only when someone shows with finger. Also it must be accompanied with self criticism . In other cases its duplicity. So only thing that can help people, is looking in their dam conscience and not doing absurd things even if someone says (about life , not only this case) . Hehe now waiting avalanche of blaming comments, but these thoughts was accompanied me for long time
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

When this thing started I was wondering if I should do anything, then I went with the overall idea that this is a game and we leave politics out of it. Still, people are losing their homes, have their lives turned upside down, people are dying... and when this ends, it will take decades to restore the economy... and generations to mend the hatred.

In my opinion this issue is much more complex than it could be written in a few paragraphs or discussed in a thread, so I wouldn't want to just "toot the most convenient horn" or end up looking like one of those influencers that wear yellow/blue outfits, or paint their faces, and use it as a convenient way to get more followers.
I hope we can extend our prayers to the fallen on both sides, they're mostly young guys who have been swept into this, either by other people (conscription, or having to join military because they don't get a job otherwise) or by their own hatred (which is the natural and in a way justified response to all the things that were going on in the past - by other people). "War is a racket".

When the whole thing started, I scanned for ".ua" emails but there are no players with such an email. I don't think we have a Ukranian community here, nor Russians.. well there are a few that played over the years, but I don't remember anyone who would be a long-term member of the community (or maybe there are, but I just don't know where they're from). I'd have to run another check to match IP addresses with known Ukranian ones.
(I also remembered Gaara and ForrestElf, hoping things won't escalate in that direction... Also we're not that very far away from this, with current Hungarian government being more on Putin's side, so I was thinking - should I pack? But if the reports are true that much of Russia's equipment is inoperable because the people in charge sold it for parts, then we might not have anything to worry about. Also - who knows how many and if any of their nuclear rockets even work. As far as the US is concerned, they probably forgot to renew their subscription. And I don't believe North Korea is capable of putting together or maintaining such a thing, so who knows, maybe the world has already de-nuclearized.)

We could make a decorative piece in support of peace, as a giveaway. I was also thinking of an event-ish thing like collecting certain resources or taming certain kind of creature, and for every such thing collected, 1 ED gets put into a pile (up to a certain limit) and the EUR equivalent is then donated for the cause via Red Cross or some other reputable organization. It's just a drop in the ocean compared to how much money they'll need to rebuild, or how much they need every day to live, but it's something.

BTW if you're looking for someone to help you part-time with IT work or websites:
https://www.youtube.com/post/UgkxQYHZJF ... f8lzyZqepM
+Colibri, Administrator of UO Excelsior Shard

Don't know what the purpose of your life is? Well then make something up! ;)
(Old Colibrian proverb)