What books are you reading?

Grab a cup of coffe and attend to the more simple things in life.
showxxl
Adept Scribe

What books are you reading?

Post by showxxl »

I'm always looking for a book to pickup, what has your interest right now?
arrow
Legendary Scribe

Re: What books are you reading?

Post by arrow »

Dr Sleep :woot:
Attachments
Doctor_Sleep_(Official_Film_Poster).png
Doctor_Sleep_(Official_Film_Poster).png (29.39 KiB) Viewed 4089 times
Always remember to pillage before you burn!-----------Unknown
Tiny Rick
Apprentice Scribe

Post by Tiny Rick »

I read Doctor Sleep before id let myself watch the movie. I liked it a lot. I started reading 1984 for the first time a while ago.
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

Sapiens: A brief history of Humankind by Harari. 10/10 would recommend :) the book explores how humans went from being just social animals to all the inventions we have today, like better cooperation and written communication, i'm just at the agricultural revolution part so i don't know what happens after that.

Also re-reading Brave New World, i've back when i was finishing highschool, was an essay material for the finals.
+Colibri, Administrator of UO Excelsior Shard

Don't know what the purpose of your life is? Well then make something up! ;)
(Old Colibrian proverb)
Johnny Warren
Legendary Scribe

Post by Johnny Warren »

Just finished "The Quantum Universe" By Brian Cox and Jeff Forshaw. Very interesting read. Tries to explain fundamentals of quantum theory in layperson speak. They half pull it off, it is difficult to make such a complex topic seem simple I suppose.

Started "Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind" just now (got is as an xmas gift). Only a few chapters in. I agree with +C it's a 10/10 in it's accessibility, interesting-ness and showcasing some new research on H Sapiens occupation of the globe and our evolutionary story. Even though I have a background in evolutionary biology, none of it was focused on human evolution, as such some of the concepts, particularly the idea of multiple human species simultaneously inhabiting the planet are fantastically interesting. It is almost sad that H Sapiens so effectively and ruthlessly took over the place and effectively wiped out the other humans (it's even sadder we continue to do it to many other non-human species today). I am up to the bit where he is describing the difference in the ability of Sapiens to think imaginitively (referred to in the book as the cognitive revolution) and how such a subtle thing gave us such great power over the other living human groups at the time and let us conquer the globe rapidly and make advanced civilisations without requiring additional evolutionary steps. All other animals require essentially genetic changes to see large scale changes in their behavioural adaptations, yet we Sapiens can change our behaviour, culture and society by imagining things. Starting with obvious stuff like religions, but even in the modern world our patriotism and organisations are all just imagined and yet they hold great power and have allowed us to progress and change at a rate that evolution via natural selection cannot compete with. Fantastic reading.
JOHNNY WARREN!
arrow
Legendary Scribe

Post by arrow »

If you enjoy a long series of horror books, I would suggest Necroscope series by Brian Lumley: https://www.brianlumley.com/books/necroscope/index.html
Always remember to pillage before you burn!-----------Unknown
PaPa
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by PaPa »

Well i always have a few books open, necronomicon , Saite recensio (book of the dead), Druid Magic: The Practice of Celtic Wisdom, and Holy Bible , The Quran, The Vedas, Tripitaka and hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy. Just a little light reading. But you know what i found out from reading all them? They are all real close to the same thing. If you realy read them and understand it all.

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:
PaPa
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by PaPa »

im waiting for this book to get back in stock ive been following his YouTube channel for a few years now he does a quick 5min video every morning.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Suspicious0bservers

Weatherman’s Guide to the Sun: Second Edition
by Ben Davidson
coralkarina
Passer by

Post by coralkarina »

At the moment, I have picked up Game of Thrones and tried The Witcher series. :)
(¯`·._.·(¯`·._.·- Characters -·._.·´¯)·._.·´¯)
Slainte Black - Warrior/Witch (Swords & Magery)
(¯`·._.·---------------------------·._.·´¯)
M3D1CN1
Elder Scribe

Post by M3D1CN1 »

Hi

I'm reading and studying The Holy Scriptures, the Witness Bible for nearly 5 years
I like what PaPa is reading yes all the books read different but all have the same conclusion

Were All Doomed :dance
10,000 Lemmings cant be WRONG can they