Fantasy Cartography

Grab a cup of coffe and attend to the more simple things in life.
Efanchenko_MM
Legendary Scribe

Fantasy Cartography

Post by Efanchenko_MM »

Hi all,

I haven't posted for a pretty long time, in fact - years?

Anyway, I have recently discovered Cartography, perhaps not the real deal, more of fantasy Cartography, map creating and bits a like.
I love how expressive you can be and as I really love doing anything creative it kind of goes hand in hand!

So I was looking more towards hand drawing then perhaps scanning it onto computer and adding the finer details via software.
I decided to give it a go, I grabbed a pencil and some paper and as I went to draw I was left blank, where do I start, how do I start, what if I don't make it the right size....
Well, that was where I switched over to the PC and got onto GIMP (like Photoshop, but free) and within minutes I had created my terrain and that is where my love for Cartography really fell into place.

I am still creating the first map, I have a few bits to finish off, so far I have taken 4 hours to get to this stage, so another couple of hours and I should be done!
I will share the picture once done and hopefully get some feed back from you all, let me know of what you would change, perhaps give me some pointers, maybe even let me know what bits you like too!

Is there anyone else on the shard/forums that has a passion for this? perhaps we can share our work here?
EFANCHENKO MM
Efanchenko_MM
Legendary Scribe

Re: Fantasy Cartography

Post by Efanchenko_MM »

OK, so I have attached my very first map, again let me know what you like, and what changes you would have done...

I think overall I am pretty happy with it, I think I would need to find a way to blend the coast line with the land I think that maybe it looks like the water isn't fully part of the map, more of a background.

Well if people like seeing this kind of thing maybe I will share more in the future!
Attachments
FMap.png
FMap.png (1.49 MiB) Viewed 3576 times
EFANCHENKO MM
[Glyph]
Legendary Scribe

Post by [Glyph] »

Looks great. Very Lord of the Rings ish. I think the coast looks good. Perhaps a touch of a dark color (1 pixel) to diferentiate the two. Overall solid work.
AideeBaby
Passer by

Post by AideeBaby »

I decided to give it a go, I grabbed a pencil and some paper and as I went to draw I was left blank, where do I start, how do I start, what if I don't make it the right size...

Well, that was where I switched over to the PC and got onto GIMP (like Photoshop, but free) and within minutes I had created my terrain and that is where my love for Cartography really fell into place.