EXCELSIOR DAILY

Keep track of this topic. All announcements and short-term rules will be written here.
+Colibri
Administrator

Re: EXCELSIOR DAILY

Post by +Colibri »

Today's frequent disconnects: Just checked on what's going on, the ISP is performing maintenance and that is why every now and then there's a short disconnect. The maintenance is scheduled to end at 6 AM shard time (that's around midnight eastern US).

Apologies for the inconvenience.
+Colibri, Administrator of UO Excelsior Shard

Don't know what the purpose of your life is? Well then make something up! ;)
(Old Colibrian proverb)
+Nyx
Administrator

Grand Auction!

Post by +Nyx »

We will be holding a grand auction on January 26th at 6:00PM EST.

Our Events calendar has been updated with this event.

We will announce when items are on display.
+Nyx
Administrator

Re: Grand Auction!

Post by +Nyx »

Some items are on display. There are a handful of items on black tables that are currently awaiting Colibri's approval. If he rejects them, they will NOT be sold. However, I wanted to give y'all plenty of time to plan your finances, just in case these do go in :)

More items will be added in the next few days, and I'll announce in-game when they are added to the display area.
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

Big auction this weekend!

First auction on Sunday 12AM shard time (at midnight on the night between Saturday and Sunday).
This is *Saturday* 6PM Eastern US and 3PM Pacific US.

There will be a second auction on Sunday 9PM shard time, that's 3PM Eastern US and Noon Pacific US (Sunday).
NOTE: The second auction will include only decorative items (deeded deco, marble/sandstone benches, curtains, as well as the ethereal dyetub).

At both times, the auction will take place at the "grand auditorium" (aka the auction hall) at the Town Center.

(Old Colibrian proverb)
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

Few quick headlines:

- The ethereal reptalon/chimera in Labrynth is now 20,000 elven notes.

- If you have the old-style personal spawner(s) at your house, please do not page to have them upgraded. There's about 800 of them out there, and I will make a sort of an automatic upgrader (there's better ways for us to spend ~800*3min = 40 hours).

- The doom bosses aren't dropping anything since last restart, I am aware of that, to clarify:
About a year back, there was a decision to make a few edits to the gauntlet: no loot, bosses to come in immune and be attackable after about 30-60 seconds to prevent people from running ahead, and there was another thing... Long story short, somehow those edits were undone (or never applied), but were finalized in the code. So, theoretically, for the past year this should be as is now. But I will change them back to have loot (not yet sure if exactly as before or a little less).

(Old Colibrian proverb)
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

The Spring Grand Auction will be held March 16th at 7:00 PM EST. Further details TBA.
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

(Previous statement temporarily retracted due to challenges from players which are to be verified).
I love this kindergarten :D

(Old Colibrian proverb)
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

All Lord Oaks spawns now function similarly to the Titan's room. There is no hiding or stealthing in a large radius around each altar, and extremely difficult mobs will spawn when a player approaches to prevent players AFK checking it using a rails script.

Basically, this means do not camp Oaks. If you are found exploiting this system, you will be punished accordingly for failing to report it.

We hope this decreases some of the drama with these spawns until a more permanent solution is implemented.

(These changes were made by +V, I'm just letting y'all know :))
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

Today's downtime, the server crashed (not the program, but the computer) at 12:34, i learned about it at around 16:00 and started working on it. At first it seemed like a non-working fan on the PSU, as everything else lit up except that the fan was not spinning (and would therefor overheat if i left it that way). Replaced it, and then nothing was responding. Tested the PSU, turns out it was not working at all (or I killed it with my fan replacement). Couldn't find the spare one at the house, so I went to buy a fresh one. Then the server wouldn't even boot, after some meddling and praying it did, but the hard drive wasn't spinning. As I planned for the worse, took it home from the server room, it turned out that one sata-powercable i used is faulty.. took it back, and now we're online :)

So basically a rather simple issue, but with a bunch of obstacles on the road.
Fortunately it was only a 4-minute revert, I loaded the 12:30 save (and it went down at 12:34).

Ghosts in the machine :) Just needed some TLC.

Enjoy!

P.S.: All systems seem normal, hopefully it'll be stable now and the demon has been exercised :mrgreen:

(Old Colibrian proverb)
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

Lady Mel is now a keyed spawn.

To obtain keys, enter the Blighted Grove and then go through the green gate directly North of where you zone in.

Speak "yes" to the Faerie to obtain a quest book. You will collect:

Stiffened Twigs - Dropped from the Treefellows outside of Blighted Grove
Petrified Twigs - Dropped from the Reapers
Fossilized Twigs - Dropped from the Changelings
Foul Fungi - Dropped from the Moss Maidens outside of Blighted Grove
Deadly Toadstool - Picked up from the ground at the SE end of the zone

Once you have collected 1 of each item into your quest book, return to the Faerie to receive a ticket. If you are ready to fight Lady Melisande right then, you may take your place in the nearest available waiting pen. They are numbered, and you must take one that is NOT occupied by another player. When the player first in line has moved in to fight Mel, the person in the 2nd pen may move to the first pen, and so on. The rules for waiting in line are the same, if a player is next in line but completely unresponsive for 1 minute or more, the next person in line may go.

None of the items involved in the key quest decay. The tickets to summon Lady Mel are transferable. Lady Mel may be summoned once every 21 minutes. There is no hiding in the waiting area, so if a pen appears open, it is. Absolutely NO changes have been made to her difficulty or her loot table.

We will be keeping an eye on the area to ensure it is working properly and efficiently. We have a makeshift line system up for now, while we brainstorm and work on a way to prevent people skipping ahead in line. If you find any bugs or have any comments, you may POLITELY page the staff in-game or reply to the forum thread in the General Discussion section.
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

Minor modifications made to Travesty to prevent kill stealing.

New system:

When a player summons Travesty, a wall goes up that blocks off the summoning room. The player is moved into a room, given an invisible item to mark their allotted time, and moved into Travesty's room. From the time you are given the invisible item, you have 15 minutes to kill and loot Travesty. At the end of 15 minutes, you will be moved out of the room regardless of whether or not you've finished. Be mindful of your time!

If a player kills Travesty in less than 15 minutes and exits the room, the wall will drop within about 1 minute, and she can be summoned again.
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

Server maintenance scheduled.

There will be an hour or two downtime on Thursday, May 16th.
I intend to start at approximately 14:00 shard time, so the server will probably go offline for a while around that time, or 15:00 shard time. I don't want to give time exact to the minute, since there's always something that goes wrong and it's delayed.

One thing I can say with quite a lot of confidence though, is that it should be up and running smoothly by 18:00, though hopefully sooner. That's noon eastern US... before the rush hour :)

P.S.: I will of course announce about 30 minutes, and 15, and 5, before it actually goes down. So, not to worry, it won't just vanish.

(Old Colibrian proverb)
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

Server is now offline, and will be for an hour or two (doing my best to make it quick).

Both portal and teamspeak will be disrupted as well.

(Old Colibrian proverb)
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

The server is now online.

If you cannot connect
First thing to try is to restart the client.
Make sure that you are connecting to port 60, not 2593. The dual port functionality is currently disabled (port 2593 is default for RunUO servers, so it was left functional for compatibility, however at the moment it's not working).

(Old Colibrian proverb)
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

I have just put the UOAM server back online and is accepting connections for those of you who would like to keep track of eachother's locations.

Also fixed the broken link on the Codex Page for UOAM.
For those who don't have UOAM and want to use it:
http://www.uoex.net/codex/technical/uoam
(it's kind of hard to get it now a days, with the official site offline).

(Old Colibrian proverb)