EXCELSIOR DAILY

Keep track of this topic. All announcements and short-term rules will be written here.
+Colibri
Administrator

Re: EXCELSIOR DAILY

Post by +Colibri »

Today's restart features a new [account menu! It's a bit nicer to look at, the information is grouped together (account info, server & connection info, character info).

A new and important feature is that you can now change the name of your character. Before this, you had to submit a help request, but now you submit a name change request through here. To sum up - you get the name right away, but the request is saved until one of us staff can review it - and then either approve it, or deny it (with a refund if it was just a name in the gray area, or without a refund if it's intentional and continous breaking of our language rules).

For more info, type [account
+Colibri, Administrator of UO Excelsior Shard

Don't know what the purpose of your life is? Well then make something up! ;)
(Old Colibrian proverb)
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

Interesting things happening on Excelsior these days:

There's a donation bonus until July 10th, you get double unitubs along with cool looking sunglasses (which can be used as an appearance change deed). For more info, check out www.uoex.net/donations or read the book in the ED room.

The tailoring craft is now updated to the new crafting system. The actual crafting system also got a "craft to bag" option which can be used very nicely with another addition, a button labeled "fill from bag" on BODs. We're also adding automatic loom & automatic spinning wheel, they will be available on tailoring BODs after some more testing.

If you're tired of waiting in queue at a boss, then you'll be excited to hear that we're getting instanced bosses. It's something that still needs some polishing, so at first only 1-2 lesser bosses will be equipped with this enhancement, but gradually it will be expanded to all the popular bosses.

Noticed that Spectre dungeon was closed for a while? Probably not, because it has been rather boring. But it's opening any day now with a few cool additions.

(Old Colibrian proverb)
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

Lockpicking changes & tailoring fixes.

Today's server restart features a reworked lockpicking skill: the delays are now a constant delay, the material plays an important role in your chance to pick a lock. And most importantly, the treasure chests around the dungeons will be balanced out and also bring much better skill gain, so that it's even possible to skill up using them.

Along with that, a few bugs in the Tailoring have been fixed. Also, some technical and minor fixes & upgrades.

We'll post more details tomorrow.

(Old Colibrian proverb)
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

There will be a Grand Auction Saturday the 19th at 18:00 shard time.

This auction will be the largest we have ever held and will feature summer, fall, and halloween themed deco as well as various other neat items.

The items that will be sold are on display now.

Since this is a large auction, I have posted the sell order into the grand auction data sheet published at: Grand Auction Data. This will allow you to determine when to go AFK briefly if needed :)

Hope to see everyone there!
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

Happy eclipse day everyone!

Don't forget to get your Eclipse Spyglass, available at the giftstone at the Town Center.
The giftstone will remain up for another about 24 hours.

(Old Colibrian proverb)
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

New Buff Bar!

We have a new, cool-looking, completely custom buff bar. Type [buffs to see it. The display is just the tip of the iceberg, we improved a lot how the overall mods/buffs system works internally (and it's about as cool as this buff bar looks).
To close it, right-click wont work (will keep coming back when any buff changes, is added or removed) so doubleclick the red button to completely close it.

All these buffs are persistent thru server restarts. That's right, no need to re-cast protection after every restart anymore. Temporary ones will likely also pause while you logoff. Overall, some buffs will be temporary, and some will come off when you die.

For now, only the 3 basic magery spells are compatible with it: protection, magic reflection and reactive armor. Very soon i'll add a few more popular buffs, and over time we'll upgrade all the persistent or temporary spells (those that don't have just a one-time effect) on this. As well as all debuffs that we can think of, for example felucca recall mana regen penalty.

Otherwise, you'll see a lot of new buffs when Elysium is released. Not just stat/skill/resistances, but a wide variety of cool stuff.

(Old Colibrian proverb)
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

We've just had a restart, the most notable thing is that safebet costs 20k to participate. We had a poll stone, up for about a week, at the Town Center. The results were mainly in favor of raising it to 50k, with half as many voting for raising to 10k, only a few to decrease or leave it as is. And about half of all the votes being "Not interested".

So, we went the middle road and raised it to 20k. Which means, the hourly save betting winning pots will be likely bigger too.
safebet poll.png
safebet poll.png (58.18 KiB) Viewed 19983 times

We're putting most of our efforts into Elysium, but still there were "a couple small fixes and improvements" as I'd describe it usually. Here's what got fixed and improved, it's actually a respectable list of stuff:

CHANGE SafeBet now costs 20k gold per ticket.
CHANGE Gatekeeper & [team gump misc graphical changes
FIX Gatekeeer teleportation (the teleporter within the instance) allowed for mobs inside to escape the instance.
FIX Property accessing (get/set commands), the [global get / [global set now runs actually even faster than originally.
CHANGE crafting (old system) no longer possible if you have a full backpack. if you craft something and it fills up your backpack, items no longer fall on the floor (safety feature, same rules as in the new craft system).
UPGRADE (technical stuff for staff) support for enums to be displayed as alphabetically-sorted (currently used only on the elysium FoodKind)
UPGRADE fixed the TitleDeed so that it can now be used
UPGRADE Stat buffs for the new [buffs system now exist, and are used by the Strength/Agility/Cunning spells.
FIX Algae mask wording fix,
FIX recipe book now shows which skills are required. (if the recipe itself requires a certain level of skills, it wont let you learn the recipe - since you wouldnt be able to use it anyway)
FIX Message in a bottle (SOS) improved display, the coordinates also say which facet the shipwreck is.
FIX Blend with forest spell didn't show the tree item when you casted it.
FIX Trendsetter achievement didn't get triggered when it was supposed to.
FIX Repair Deed for Throwable Items - if the deed cannot repair a certain item, it gives a message saying so. Fixed bug that caused it to repair beyond the MaxUses.
FIX Drydocking a boat is now possible even if the boat is located on a hidden item, or if there are creatures on it that can swim.
FIX No longer possible to place Quest Books or Personal Spawners as display items infront of vendors.
FIX No longer possible to use the New Player Tutorial gump (Newman) to get out of jail.
FIX Weapon type change deed now correctly transfers the weapon crafter name to the new type-changed weapon. (before, it only transfered the PlayerConstructed property)
FIX Spectre queen serialization.
ADD the head-on-a-stick quest reward for halloween seasonal quest

(Old Colibrian proverb)
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

Today's restart features another batch of misc minor fixes, and also a noticable change to the Divine Focus spell which affects some other Cleric spells.

ADD Seasonal event items/addons.
UPGRADE Raffle stone now supports other currencies (not just gold)
UPGRADE Improved/simplified how corpses are named.
UPGRADE Vacant house gates can be set up in multiple clusters with different prices (for easier house deco contest setup)
FIX Item appearance change deed didn't properly apply item binding if the sample was bound.
FIX Claim command will reject claiming corpse that contain an item that is account bound to someone else.
FIX Player sculpture no longer possible to be sculpted if the target is polymorphed.
UPGRADE Buffs ability to deactivate them by doubleclicking the display icon (Works on protection&magicreflect&reactivearmor, the rest will come later). Strength&Agility potions and Divine focus spell upgraded to the Buff system.
UPGRADE Granite now stackable, reworked how granite works internally.
UPGRADE Changed the way addons are redeeded internally.

More info about the divine focus change:
What divine focus was supposed to do, is take 3 mana every second but give you 50% more power with the following 4 spells: Hammer of faith, Sacred boon, Touch of Life, Smite.

What it actually did, was to apply the 50% bonus if you didn't have the spell active (so those spells had bonus on them). And the spells became weaker if you casted Divine Focus. There was no way to deactivate it except completely draining mana.

How it works now:
Having this spell enabled will grant the 50% more power to the 4 spells. Casting either of those spells requires 20% more mana. The spell has a duration of 120 seconds, if you recast it you refresh it's duration. You can also immediately disable it by doubleclicking the buff icon in your [buffs bar. When the spell is deactivated (either when you run out of mana, or when you doubleclick the icon, or after 120 seconds) it completely drains your mana.

(Old Colibrian proverb)
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

Today's restart features a few technical improvements, as well as a change to the personal world teleporters that are to be created from this day forward. The personal world teleporter has the "ability", more of an oversight, of being able to bring a player from Felucca without the mana drain penalty. New world teleporters will now do the same mana drain as for example the recall spell does.

Existing personal world teleporters are grandfathered to their current owners. Which means, if you have a world teleporter in your backpack (or locked down in your house), it has remembered you as its owner - using it will not drain mana when traveling from Felucca. If you give/sell this teleporter to someone else, that player will experience the mana drain as if they had gotten a fresh teleporter.

Special note to those players who have borrowed/lent a world teleporter and wish to change the grandfathering to the actual owner of the item: This is possible if the last transfer of the item was done after July 1st. If you want to transfer the grandfathering, send a help request and tag the item and the previous owner. I will check that the other person had the item in their possession at or after that date (July 1st) and transfer it.
Such transfer is possible until the end of the year 2017.

(Old Colibrian proverb)
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

Happy holidays!

Stop by Town Center, and get your holiday gift box! It's got all the necessities, like a Christmas tree, an ugly sweater, and plenty of other goodies.

As the year is coming to an end, I would like to thank you all for being a part of the story of Excelsior. We're looking forward to all the challenges and adventures that 2018 will bring.

We wish you a merry and heartwarming celebration of the season.

(Old Colibrian proverb)
+Requiem
Legendary Scribe

Post by +Requiem »

I'd like to start this update off by thanking the players that joined me in the Town Center auction room to discuss where they would like to see improvement. While I wrote down all of your ideas, I also tried to consolidate them to bigger areas to focus on rather than just a single thing. I have discussed with +Colibri this "list" and we talked about what would give us the most "bang for the buck" so to speak. IE: there's a ton of things, each takes some time to finish, so which are the things that need priority? As we are starting a new year, it will take some time to get the ball rolling again, so starting off small is a good thing.

The things we ultimately decided on focusing on may change as time goes on. This list is just to help provide a general outline to help us keep on track, and stay motivated. Don't worry if you see some other things happen, or if these happen out of exact order. We still have the list we discussed, and we will most likely be soliciting more player input as we go.

1) Update the remaining craft systems to be compatible with the new gump system.
2) Update the wiki, timely change logs.
3) more staff/player interaction, and faster responses to tickets.
4) more newbie friendly things, to keep them around longer.
5) A website update/facelift.
6) Pets/Breeding - rebalancing

I know many of you suggested "New Content", and these things are laying the groundwork for that to happen. There's also a couple other things on our todo list that I'm not mentioning here that will be coming sooner rather than later.

I realize you can't comment directly on this post, but if you would like to provide more feedback, I can be reached at: requiem@uoex.net

Thank you all again for being a part of Excelsior, and here's hoping to a very big and successful 2018!
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

Trading for real money is not allowed

We have changed the rule on trading items for real-life currency. Until now, actual selling was discouraged, but advertising it, or large-quantity trading, was not allowed. This rule was not a problem for most players, unfortunately there were a few who kept trying out where the line is.

e. Selling or buying in-game objects for real money is not allowed and may result in inability to trade anything in the game, temporarily or permanently. The objects that were traded in this manner, or that were advertised/planned to be traded, may be permanently impounded. If a large portion of one account's items are transferred to another, it's an indication that the account was sold as a whole, see rule 1.a.

Note that now both selling or buying is not allowed. Any object for which there is considerable proof that it was traded, or is for sale, may be impounded permanently.

This is a general principle on which most MMOs and other shards operate on. Keep in mind that Excelsior is a game, a virtual universe - if you want to "make money online", this is not the right address.

(Old Colibrian proverb)
+Requiem
Legendary Scribe

Post by +Requiem »

Hello Excelsior,

Just a quick update on what's going on. We are nearly finished with the tailor bod reward updates, and that should be coming to a live server near you soon! From here, we already began working on a few updates with the housing system. There will be much new housing space opened up, including a new map, as well as some more specialized housing options for those who want larger estates. We aren't expecting this to take more than a month, so you can probably expect it before March 2018.

I've already started a forum post to solicit ideas for Carpentry BOD rewards, as that's next on the list. I will also be opening up one for Fletching BOD rewards in the near future, as that update will be following Carpentry.

We're establishing a sort of pipeline for shard changes, upgrades and additions. From collecting ideas from you guys and gals, then discussing it amongst ourselves and implementing it, and finaly polishing it with final feedback after it's open, we hope to stay organized and deliver a steady stream of updates, shifting more attention to quality and finishing each piece.

I will be making a pointed effort to update the wiki more regularly, as well as soliciting the help of wiki scribes to provide more up-to-date information.

The radio is kind of in limbo at the moment, and within the next couple months, I'd like to see more activity, and more DJs, or I think it may be time to let it go. No sense paying for something we aren't using. It's just throwing money away.

That's all for our January/February update. See you in game!
+Requiem
Legendary Scribe

Post by +Requiem »

The Tailoring BOD reward update is now active on the live shard.

I have updated the wiki with the possible rewards, but not their exact percentages to get them. (They are not evenly distributed, meaning if there are 2 possible rewards they might not be a 50% to get one and 50% to get the other. I leave this for you all to find out.

I am also opening a forum thread to solicit your feedback on these changes. If you come across a bug, please submit a
help request in game, rather than posting it in the forums. If you prefer more private feedback, feel free to email me
directly at requiem@uoex.net. Your feedback will be passed along to the other staff, but not for open comments.

I have also left off specific information, such as number of uses things may have, types of leather, amount of Florin
you receive. This is on purpose, because I want you to have some things to discover for yourself.
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

Grand auction this weekend:
1st part: Saturday at 21:00 shard time,
2nd part: Sunday at 21:00 shard time.

Both parts will feature identical decorative items (i.e. house addons). The functional items & upgrade deeds will be separated roughly equally among the two days.

The display room is planned to open on thursday evening. (green gate at the auction hall).

(Old Colibrian proverb)