Planned ED price increases and changes in 2023

Keep track of this topic. All announcements and short-term rules will be written here.
Geriatric
Legendary Scribe

Re: Planned ED price increases and changes in 2023

Post by Geriatric »

everyone is going to have a different list of grievances with the server
as far as player interaction goes, +C does pretty dam well

but heres some things from my perspective

ED items... so far out of range for a player who doesnt/can't donate it just makes you feel sick when you see people running around stacked to the deck with relayers it definitely turns off newer players because there is a real big pay to win vibe on this server something i've never favoured in any game

unbalanced... unless its a yumi or a whirlwind weapon, its utterly useless no one wants it
and if it is a yumi or a whirlwind weapon.... everyone wants it
the discord dexer with yumi and whirlwind..
the meta thats so meta not even diet meta, meta lite or i cant believe its not meta even come close

how about the wiki?
or as i like to call it excelsiors 1954 school text book
if you ever wanted to get every question wrong on your excelsior final exam, just ask the wiki
why dont we get some people to update that?
hey i volunteer
maybe we could just let the members of the server update the wiki? or atleast submit changes for approval

gold.... and the sink
balrons are so far ahead of every other monster in terms of gold drop
reduce the amount of gold they drop or perhaps boost the gold drop of other monsters, something to make them a little less attractive to the AFK recall farmers
and the sink... perhaps some more/better items available from gold/token stone example
a harrower stat scroll, i can work my butt off at champ spawns all the way to the harrower and get me a stat scroll but im not allowed to use it unless i have ED's... this was a normal part of the game, not something unique to excelsior (although the 300 stat cap is kinda unique so theres argument to be made) but if your lucky enough to get a drop theres still a portion of the game thats locked off to you
small bags of holding for tokens or gold / large and huge bags for EDs
Wil
Legendary Scribe

Post by Wil »

Geriatric wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:52 am
ED items... so far out of range for a player who doesnt/can't donate it just makes you feel sick when you see people running around stacked to the deck with relayers it definitely turns off newer players because there is a real big pay to win vibe on this server something i've never favoured in any game
That's... not really true. One year of consistent daily beekeeping will earn you about 1000 ED. That won't build Muolke's endgame weapon or stack you with relayers but it's enough for two.
ZeeeQi
Adept Scribe

Post by ZeeeQi »

Geriatric wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:52 am
gold.... and the sink
balrons are so far ahead of every other monster in terms of gold drop
reduce the amount of gold they drop or perhaps boost the gold drop of other monsters, something to make them a little less attractive to the AFK recall farmers
Hello, as a player that farm balrons i'll defend myself, because i'm so tired everyone always put the words AFK Farmer and Balrons together.

I'm probably the player who's been farming balrons for longer, and i don't like to be tagged as an AFK farmer, simply because i'm NOT an AFK farmer.

You and anyone else in the shard can try to talk to me or PM me ingame while i'm at ballys and you will see that i'm not AFK.

Quoting Melkor: "Don't paint everyone with the same brush"

PS: I'm not saying there aren't AFK farmers (ballys and in many other places on the shard), but not everyone is AFK....

ZeeeQi.
Muolke
Legendary Scribe

Post by Muolke »

Can we at least lower the gold drop from Balrons? Looting up to 8,000 gold after killing a mob with 3-4 hits is quite high. I'd say adjust the loot for a Balron down to a max of 2,000 gold.
Geriatric
Legendary Scribe

Post by Geriatric »

zeeeqi wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:32 pm

Hello, as a player that farm balrons i'll defend myself, because i'm so tired everyone always put the words AFK Farmer and Balrons together.

I'm probably the player who's been farming balrons for longer, and i don't like to be tagged as an AFK farmer, simply because i'm NOT an AFK farmer.

You and anyone else in the shard can try to talk to me or PM me ingame while i'm at ballys and you will see that i'm not AFK.

PS: I'm not saying there aren't AFK farmers (ballys and in many other places on the shard), but not everyone is AFK....

ZeeeQi.
even though you dont afk farm balrons the point that i am making is that they are too attractive gold wise
ZeeeQi
Adept Scribe

Post by ZeeeQi »

Geriatric wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:10 pm
zeeeqi wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:32 pm

ZeeeQi.
even though you dont afk farm balrons the point that i am making is that they are too attractive gold wise
Sure, but you don't need to tag people as AFKers to point that.

PS: I think people overstimate how much gold you get there, it's only a good place if you manage to be alone and trust me... you're never alone there. There are plenty of ways to get that much or even more gold doing other things
Silent
Legendary Scribe

Post by Silent »

Lets focus on the main point: make the server more attractive. If there are more players all the economy flourishes and its not that a big deal the bally farming because there will be more players farming them
Lurking the forums since dec 2012
Melkor
Legendary Scribe

Post by Melkor »

Silent wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:39 pm
Lets focus on the main point: make the server more attractive. If there are more players all the economy flourishes and its not that a big deal the bally farming because there will be more players farming them
Agreed. I don't think nerfing is the answer.

I think new content is the answer, although I realize that's easy for me to say as I don't have to code any of it.

Events have always been the most fun thing. Hunger Games, 300, The Pirate one, the Fel Moonglow attack, Harry Potter to name a few. The impromptu events were so fun too, "Trinsic is under attack, to arms to arms"
TDC Guild
Durocius
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Durocius »

It’s good that so many players are interested in
correcting the economy. Hopefully we have some
suggestions that are implemented.
Zee is correct that most Balron hunters are not afk,
and that it is usually busy. Either lower the loot
or +C changing the
spawn interval from 5 to 15 min, making it less attractive.
Melkor is spot on with my feelings. Events and some new
content are desperately needed. They don’t have to be a whole new Facet. Just an invasion or a super tough dungeon that demands teamwork to defeat would be cool.
(when I was a GM elsewhere, we setup Hythloth to send
All your gear to your bank as you entered. Modest suits and supplies were in bags inside so everyone was equal.
It was actually a lot of fun as there were unique rewards for killing bosses and reaching specific points in the dungeon.

I also remember how
Geriatric feels. But you can absolutely buff up with
none/few donations. It just takes time. I don’t mind a
donation now and then, because it’s not free to run
this UO world of ours.
Geriatric
Legendary Scribe

Post by Geriatric »

the events dont even have to be super fancy or complicated

the dead are rising in the graveyards and attacking the cities

lich lords and ancient liches, skeletal dragons spawning across a city

dont even need fancy rewards, just something to break up the regularity

i also liked that hyloth idea you mentioned, of pre-set gear for a dungeon
Osgaron
Passer by

Post by Osgaron »

For me, the funnest part of UO besides the other players is the seasonal quests and rewards. I just got here about 2 months ago and Christmas was an absolute blast. On my last shard we had Easter, Valentines Day, Spring Quest, Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. I'm sure I'm probably forgetting one or two but for the big holidays netted the ultimate reward which was either a color background ( for your paperdoll, took cape slot ) or totem. I liked the fact on my old shard these premium items and they weren't locked behind donations or auctions, you could earn them with enough runs of the quests. The totems and backgrounds were permanent and really showcased how hard you worked to get them. I am seeing some similarities here and hope there are even MORE seasonal quests as I believe old and new players alike really enjoy them. Do you agree?
Johnny Warren
Legendary Scribe

Post by Johnny Warren »

Thread getting pretty off topic....
JOHNNY WARREN!
Jebidia
Apprentice Scribe

Post by Jebidia »

Hiyas! I never post on here. I hardly ever say anything in chat. That does not mean I don't try to keep up to date. I have been here for several years. I donate when I can and try to be respectful of others. All that said, I think if you want to increase the number of people coming to the server, making it harder for people to get relayers and such will not help. I think that a lot of players in the game really take advantage of new players. I believe this is evidenced by the price differences on exex. The exex is a way that the new players can make money working skills. Looking at the buy direct price vs. the sell direct price is almost a joke in most cases. When a new player sees in some cases over a 2000% mark up, what is he or she supposed to think? I think that a cap should be in place on the exex of no more than a 100% mark up. That way everyone can make money buying and selling.

I think AFK farming should be rooted out and those who do it delt with. That is totally unfair to those of us who play by the rules. We all agreed to the rules when we started playing here. If you don't follow them then you should expect what happens.

Because relayers are such a driving force on this server, maybe something to help new players get their first relayer might be helpful. I don't think that idea should be reto'd to us that have been here for years. I think it should just go for NEW players. Ideas for this could be a discount for their first relayer (we all know that 1 relayer leads to more). I don't think it should be free. But, maybe 300 ED. While some folks may call foul on that, the more players we have and keep the better we are off. And this has the added benefit of them being invested in the game. Maybe not as much as some but, invested none the less.

Just my 2 cents worth
Myth
A YAYA!!!!!
Wil
Legendary Scribe

Post by Wil »

Jebidia wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:33 pm
maybe something to help new players get their first relayer might be helpful.
The mistvale item bless deed quest is pretty unreasonable for the reward. That quantity of daemonic leather is just too hard. But if it was changed to run-once and a relayer deed it'd be about right.
Johnny Warren
Legendary Scribe

Post by Johnny Warren »

Jebidia wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:33 pm
I believe this is evidenced by the price differences on exex. The exex is a way that the new players can make money working skills. Looking at the buy direct price vs. the sell direct price is almost a joke in most cases. When a new player sees in some cases over a 2000% mark up, what is he or she supposed to think? I think that a cap should be in place on the exex of no more than a 100% mark up. That way everyone can make money buying and selling.
The only items that have spreads over 1000% are those that people don't want to buy or don't sell. The ointments and essences have such huge spreads because nobody buys that trash. I think the opposite, exex is a way for new players to get a decent cashflow going. Farm something that they can obtain and does sell, list it for the best price and profit. If there is a large spread (such as some of the boards etc) then it means there's plenty of room for the new guy to get a decent price for their commodities.

Also Mistvale reward cape is almost of relayer quality... when many of us started there was no mistvale. We never got a chance at a free relayer-like item. The karate quest is similar (new player might not get all the way to black but with help can get a darn good belt).

There have been many recent additions to make progression faster for new players. When I started you were paying close to 2 mil for a jackals and 3 mil for batwings (although GoCs sold for 200ed, ED's were solid at <30k for a long time and bone crushers were junk rares that didn't sell, so there were trade-offs). Getting 220 dex was expensive, let alone dreaming about relayers. New players can progress much more rapidly today than at any point in the history of UOEX. If someone starts and within a year can have the same level of equipment and wealth as someone who has been playing for 4, 7 or13 years... then there's something wrong with the system.
JOHNNY WARREN!