Auction January 31st 2020

Keep track of this topic. All announcements and short-term rules will be written here.
Johnny Warren
Legendary Scribe

Re: AUCTION

Post by Johnny Warren »

The ethy drake went for the absolute bargain basement price of 33mil (dunno who won it but it could be resold for close to double that). Probably the best buy of the day in my opinion. I didn't pay attention to the centaur as even at a starting bid of 1mil that is overpriced in my opinion, I cannot ever get my head around why people buy the vet reward mounts for so much gold when u get them for free. :? I know, I know, 0 slot... If you're at the point where you're spending huge sums on a vet reward mount then u should be hard enough and shouldn't be rocking pets or should have bought 3 more pet slots so the point is completely moot.

I was keen on the change wep specials deed but was honestly shocked at the price. That's the price for an ancient Warhammer right there. These deeds used to go for 40mil at auction, and I'm not talking about 2012 auctions. The deed is a real end game, uber vet, min-maxing piece, as such I think 1/4 of the price of an ancient weapon seems reasonable. What I mean by that is, it's just a perk, and even then a tiny one. Nobody really is using their direct damage bow to whirlwind mobs, that's why AoE effects exist (you haven't lived until you've seen a proper AoE whirlwind weapon do it's thing). The real use of the change wep specials deed is so you can type change your bow to the high base DMG elven composite longbow,and still have double shot [pro tip: double strike does not deal 100% damage, don't confuse the 2 specials, I've seen someone who has used one of these deeds and unfortunately chose double strike over double shot greatly reducing the dmg of the weapon, basically making it much worse than the original yumi after applying the auction deed and type change deed.... ouch]. Even then when you do some calculations with the damage calculator, using the elven comp bow over yumi, it is only a tiny bit more damage per second than a plain Yumi. Yes a whirlwinding bow looks cute, but lets be real here. Whirlwind looks cool on a bow but is far, far less effective than a real AoE whirlwind weapon. Put it this way, if I'm soloing Oaks and trying to do it quickly there's no way I'm using my ancient comp bows whirlwind to finish the champ fast, I'm using my AoE weapon because that's what whirlwind is designed for. Even just clearing somewhere like Fel wrong or umbris camp I am not using a whirlwind bow I am using a proper AoE whirlwind weapon because it is significantly faster when surrounded by mobs, like twice or thrice as fast. So for what is really only a bragging rights piece and not a particularly large upgrade I'd much rather buy another ancient Warhammer/Comp bow to try a new design with for 230mil. Keep in mind ancient yumis are worse than many looted weapons and much, much worse than the ancient Warhammer/Comp bows. They are tiers apart.

[So as to not sound like a hypocrite I set myself a limit of 100mil for the deed, double what I value it at, even I get auction madness, and even with that limit I think I threw in a bid for 120mil, which is above where I wanted to stop, I know some rationality leaves us all when that auction starts]

As continuation on my rant about pricing at auctions I can't get my head around why ancient yumis sell for over 50-60mil at auctions either. At 60mil you're paying too much but they routinely go for double, or triple that. I bought a 5x58 with the ancient yumi stats + an AoE effect for 60mil in 2020. That weapon is now the biggest statted weapon on the server (I spend a lot of time perving on people's paperdolls, only NME's warhammer comes close to the stats of the weapon I'm referring to, Locke's 7x60 only has the 2 direct hits so is not in the same tier and they are the only 2 other 7x60s I know of, if anyone knows of others I would love to see them). You can check it in front of my vendor in TC, the gold dread sword: ⁑ Omniblade ⁑, its a 7x60 with 3 direct hits, ML and AoE effect + some gravy with double axes specials and dread swords base dmg. It needs a relayer deed and SC deed then I'll start wielding it, I've tested it as-is and, oh my, it works, it definitely works....OK stop bragging John..... But the point is this, you can buy ancient yumi statted weapons with reasonable frequency for around the 400-500ED mark, a bit more if they have a slayer type etc. I know this because I have sold a fair few myself, and I see at least 1 or 2 a year pop up with other players with comparable or superior stats. That should be around the 25-35mil mark depending on exact stats. You need to type change these weapons so let's add 12mil for the type change deed and you still come in at close to, but under 50 mil. I know people go silly at auctions and buy things for more than they are worth. Sometimes you could buy the item directly off exex or vendors for less than the starting bid (see recent tailor florins and deco items). Ancient yumi is a 60mil wep at best, save your gold for something better on the looted weapons market or save for a real ancient weapon - warhammer or comp bow, of the 2 the comp bow is slightly better due to the higher dps output but both are, in my opinion, pretty close to on par.

End rant.

As always, thanks for the auction +K and +C, I was pulled over on side of road on the way to work to participate, so I was sad to miss the end. And thanks Wil for the list, good job.

P.S. weapons is what John Warren does. He doesn't craft. He doesn't fish. He doesn't treasure hunt. He doesn't deco houses. He never bods. He just deals in weapons. He loves making weapons. I have multiple trav key wholesalers and routinely get through a few hundred trav runs a month hunting for looted weapons (been busy recently but have like 300 keysets hoarded I need to go through when I get some time). I carry 4 diff weapons in my bag and use them all. I often get random people asking me how to spend points properly and asking valuations of weapons. I enjoy these [pms and the conversations and friendships they start. So if you have a question about weapon pricing, quality or how to design your own (spend points) please [pm John Warren. I love talking weapons.

Pro tip: Once you've got your endgame weapon that you like, name change it for crying out loud!! :verymad: :verymad: :verymad: Man I hate seeing a decent 5 or 6x60 Yumi or ornate axe called "Dagger" or "two handed axe". The same is true for your relayers guys. You really want every part of your paperdoll called "Bone Crusher" or "Swords of Prosperity"?? If you can afford a BC relayer you can damn well afford to name it something cool. I don't even care if the name is not cool, nothing is worse than a pair of boots called "Bone Crusher". :verymad: :verymad:
JOHNNY WARREN!
Muolke
Legendary Scribe

Post by Muolke »

qbf wrote:The ethy drake went for the absolute bargain basement price of 33mil (dunno who won it but it could be resold for close to double that). Probably the best buy of the day in my opinion. I didn't pay attention to the centaur as even at a starting bid of 1mil that is overpriced in my opinion, I cannot ever get my head around why people buy the vet reward mounts for so much gold when u get them for free. :? I know, I know, 0 slot... If you're at the point where you're spending huge sums on a vet reward mount then u should be hard enough and shouldn't be rocking pets or should have bought 3 more pet slots so the point is completely moot.

I was keen on the change wep specials deed but was honestly shocked at the price. That's the price for an ancient Warhammer right there. These deeds used to go for 40mil at auction, and I'm not talking about 2012 auctions. The deed is a real end game, uber vet, min-maxing piece, as such I think 1/4 of the price of an ancient weapon seems reasonable. What I mean by that is, it's just a perk, and even then a tiny one. Nobody really is using their direct damage bow to whirlwind mobs, that's why AoE effects exist (you haven't lived until you've seen a proper AoE whirlwind weapon do it's thing). The real use of the change wep specials deed is so you can type change your bow to the high base DMG elven composite longbow,and still have double shot [pro tip: double strike does not deal 100% damage, don't confuse the 2 specials, I've seen someone who has used one of these deeds and unfortunately chose double strike over double shot greatly reducing the dmg of the weapon, basically making it much worse than the original yumi after applying the auction deed and type change deed.... ouch]. Even then when you do some calculations with the damage calculator, using the elven comp bow over yumi, it is only a tiny bit more damage per second than a plain Yumi. Yes a whirlwinding bow looks cute, but lets be real here. Whirlwind looks cool on a bow but is far, far less effective than a real AoE whirlwind weapon. Put it this way, if I'm soloing Oaks and trying to do it quickly there's no way I'm using my ancient comp bows whirlwind to finish the champ fast, I'm using my AoE weapon because that's what whirlwind is designed for. Even just clearing somewhere like Fel wrong or umbris camp I am not using a whirlwind bow I am using a proper AoE whirlwind weapon because it is significantly faster when surrounded by mobs, like twice or thrice as fast. So for what is really only a bragging rights piece and not a particularly large upgrade I'd much rather buy another ancient Warhammer/Comp bow to try a new design with for 230mil. Keep in mind ancient yumis are worse than many looted weapons and much, much worse than the ancient Warhammer/Comp bows. They are tiers apart.

[So as to not sound like a hypocrite I set myself a limit of 100mil for the deed, double what I value it at, even I get auction madness, and even with that limit I think I threw in a bid for 120mil, which is above where I wanted to stop, I know some rationality leaves us all when that auction starts]

As continuation on my rant about pricing at auctions I can't get my head around why ancient yumis sell for over 50-60mil at auctions either. At 60mil you're paying too much but they routinely go for double, or triple that. I bought a 5x58 with the ancient yumi stats + an AoE effect for 60mil in 2020. That weapon is now the biggest statted weapon on the server (I spend a lot of time perving on people's paperdolls, only NME's warhammer comes close to the stats of the weapon I'm referring to, Locke's 7x60 only has the 2 direct hits so is not in the same tier and they are the only 2 other 7x60s I know of, if anyone knows of others I would love to see them). You can check it in front of my vendor in TC, the gold dread sword: ⁑ Omniblade ⁑, its a 7x60 with 3 direct hits, ML and AoE effect + some gravy with double axes specials and dread swords base dmg. It needs a relayer deed and SC deed then I'll start wielding it, I've tested it as-is and, oh my, it works, it definitely works....OK stop bragging John..... But the point is this, you can buy ancient yumi statted weapons with reasonable frequency for around the 400-500ED mark, a bit more if they have a slayer type etc. I know this because I have sold a fair few myself, and I see at least 1 or 2 a year pop up with other players with comparable or superior stats. That should be around the 25-35mil mark depending on exact stats. You need to type change these weapons so let's add 12mil for the type change deed and you still come in at close to, but under 50 mil. I know people go silly at auctions and buy things for more than they are worth. Sometimes you could buy the item directly off exex or vendors for less than the starting bid (see recent tailor florins and deco items). Ancient yumi is a 60mil wep at best, save your gold for something better on the looted weapons market or save for a real ancient weapon - warhammer or comp bow, of the 2 the comp bow is slightly better due to the higher dps output but both are, in my opinion, pretty close to on par.

End rant.

As always, thanks for the auction +K and +C, I was pulled over on side of road on the way to work to participate, so I was sad to miss the end. And thanks Wil for the list, good job.

P.S. weapons is what John Warren does. He doesn't craft. He doesn't fish. He doesn't treasure hunt. He doesn't deco houses. He never bods. He just deals in weapons. He loves making weapons. I have multiple trav key wholesalers and routinely get through a few hundred trav runs a month hunting for looted weapons (been busy recently but have like 300 keysets hoarded I need to go through when I get some time). I carry 4 diff weapons in my bag and use them all. I often get random people asking me how to spend points properly and asking valuations of weapons. I enjoy these [pms and the conversations and friendships they start. So if you have a question about weapon pricing, quality or how to design your own (spend points) please [pm John Warren. I love talking weapons.

Pro tip: Once you've got your endgame weapon that you like, name change it for crying out loud!! :verymad: :verymad: :verymad: Man I hate seeing a decent 5 or 6x60 Yumi or ornate axe called "Dagger" or "two handed axe". The same is true for your relayers guys. You really want every part of your paperdoll called "Bone Crusher" or "Swords of Prosperity"?? If you can afford a BC relayer you can damn well afford to name it something cool. I don't even care if the name is not cool, nothing is worse than a pair of boots called "Bone Crusher". :verymad: :verymad:
In regards to using WW on a bow - I use mine in Fel Wrong and it's considerably faster than using a BoD with 2 AOE spells on it. I also recently added "Use Best Weapon Skill" to my bow so when in angel form it does even more damage. I have double shot on my bow but I can see why someone might add double strike rather than double shot. The reason is that with double strike you do get a 10% damage penalty to the 2nd shot but you don't have to be on a mount to use it. So in places you can't be on a mount (Fel Wrong etc) you can still use double strike but can't use double shot.
Johnny Warren
Legendary Scribe

Post by Johnny Warren »

Muolke wrote:In regards to using WW on a bow - I use mine in Fel Wrong and it's considerably faster than using a BoD with 2 AOE spells on it. I also recently added "Use Best Weapon Skill" to my bow so when in angel form it does even more damage. I have double shot on my bow but I can see why someone might add double strike rather than double shot. The reason is that with double strike you do get a 10% damage penalty to the 2nd shot but you don't have to be on a mount to use it. So in places you can't be on a mount (Fel Wrong etc) you can still use double strike but can't use double shot.
A blaze is an OK whirlwind weapon, but you can have much better. I had not actually considered angel form in any of this as I hate the reduced move speed. But I will concede that point, it's interesting and something I hadn't thought of. There's still no way that I would be adding double strike if I had the deed to use.

And for full disclosure, I too would add whirlwind (and double shot) to my bow if I got one of those deeds.
JOHNNY WARREN!
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

Wil wrote: I probably should have asked this before bidding but... once I claim them, can I use the normal house mechanics to move them somewhere else using tokens instead of Maral Luna?
Yes it's a standard house, there's no rule against moving it elsewhere. There's just a restriction to place houses in that area, currently set until the year 2025 but I'll see what should happen here.

The houses will remain 0-slotted if you sell them to another player.

Note: This doesn't apply to castles, any 1-slotted castle becomes 2-slotted on trade. Last time when we sold those 2 castles, and the buyer already claimed it and then wanted to sell them, I then transfered the ownership back to me and made a fresh Deed To House. If you sell the deed, the 1-slottedness would remain.
+Colibri, Administrator of UO Excelsior Shard

Don't know what the purpose of your life is? Well then make something up! ;)
(Old Colibrian proverb)
Wil
Legendary Scribe

Re: Auction January 31st 2020

Post by Wil »

Thanks +C. That's awesome! Two 0-slot houses in Luna -or- any normal place I want. I got a better deal than I thought.
Wil
Legendary Scribe

Post by Wil »

+Colibri wrote:There's just a restriction to place houses in that area, currently set until the year 2025 but I'll see what should happen here.
I'll tell you what I think would be novel at an auction: a dungeon house. An 18x18 attached to a dungeon or cave somewhere. For example, suppose you were to rig an 18x18 in Fire at 5831x1422 lined up with the walls and lowered to the floor so that it overlapped the small empty building. I think that'd go for 100M easy if not 200M.
Johnny Warren
Legendary Scribe

Post by Johnny Warren »

Wil wrote:I'll tell you what I think would be novel at an auction: a dungeon house. An 18x18 attached to a dungeon or cave somewhere. For example, suppose you were to rig an 18x18 in Fire at 5831x1422 lined up with the walls and lowered to the floor so that it overlapped the small empty building. I think that'd go for 100M easy if not 200M.
Love the idea. In same vein, and was discussed in WC, a cave house. I personally would go for another mountain house, been a long time since I've seen one of those. Star and water houses are awesome, but they seem to be the "go to" these days.
JOHNNY WARREN!