Harvest seasonal event 2018

Keep track of this topic. All announcements and short-term rules will be written here.
+Colibri
Administrator

Harvest seasonal event 2018

Post by +Colibri »

The harvest quests are now open!

We've just opened two of the three planned quests, the third will open in a few days. You can visit Nelson and Clara, they are at the house just north of Town Cen
- Nelson needs help chasing his animals back into coops and pens, which are all over the field, north of the house. For this you'll need mostly actual moving skill, but additional Herding skill will make the animals run away from you faster. There's also an achievement tied into this quest, I won't write the specifics, but well the hint is there.
- Clara has a friend Fredrick, who's growing apples in Felucca – on the west side of the Maze. He needs your help getting rid of some magical pests.
- Jonathan is needs to build scarecrows to keep away birds from his crop.
- Dave, he's an odd one... wants to scare away dragons by making a very large scarecrow, so you can take the scarecrow parts to him instead of Jonathan. He's not a successful farmer, but if you help him out a few times, there's something special for you.

Although we had many more ideas, these are the ones we chose to polish and make available. So next year, it's likely there will be one or even two more similar quests, but using different mechanics and concepts.

This quest is supposed to run throughout September, but since we're a few days late, it's going to remain open all until October 7th.
Each of the quests have a 30 minute cooldown, but you can do a different quest during this cooldown. You can do 5 quests per day, it resets at midnight shard time.

Rewards
Most of last year's rewards are still in the reward pool. We've replaced the decorative foods with food recipes, which you can cook and give buffs. We also added harvest-themed footprints. We'll set up a display area soon.

There will be a vendorstone available where you can spend the currency, Jars of Preserves.
For the recipes, there will be a way to convert 10 scrolls into a recipe book, from which you learn the recipe permanently.

The currency and vendor stone will be available until October 15th. All of the temporary items are also going to decay on that day.

Fun fact from behind the scenes: Before we polished this, Fredrick was named Fredryk, Fridrick, Fridreck and all sorts of things in the dialogs :)

Technical instructions:
Although we have a new quest system in the works, we had to use the old one which is definitely reliable, but somewhat clumsier, so here's a few instructions:
- To start the quest, single-click the quester and click »Talk« on the menu (if there's no automatic dialog when you approach them)
- If they say "I'm busy", it means you are either still on the 30-minute cooldown, or you are on another quest. If you are on another quest, single-click self and select "Cancel quest", this will cancel your current quest and will make it possible for you to start this one.
- To view current quest objective and progress, single-click yourself and select »View Quest Log«
- In the dialogs, if the text is cut off at the bottom, you can use your mouse wheel to scroll it.

If you find a bug and it's not on this list, please send a help request in the game.

Comments and opinions
We've set up a special rating stone, it's green and is placed in the quest hub area. It's best if you leave your rating and opinion there, it's in a format that will be easiest for us to read. But if you have any questions or thoughts, this is the right thread to post them.

Have fun!

Updates September 13th
The third quest is now available - scarecrow crafting. The collecting of hay was intended to be a bit more involved, but we didn't want to delay this any further so for this year the hay is quite easy to get, available in the nearby fields.

Chasing animals quest now also has three tiers, you can chase more animals for a bigger rewad. The animals were intended to be a bit more spread out, so they're now less abundant on the field where the pens & coops are, the rest are just a screen away in the surrounding forests.

Elementals watering quest now gives more rewards. In the initial plan, it was intended that if you do one of the optional things, you have a 50% chance of a recipe/common/rare reward. And if you do both those things, there's another 50% chance at recipe/common/rare but in this case the recipe is less likely. But when we coded the plan, the 50% was forgotten so the rewards were 100% - which turned out to be a good ratio anyway, so we've now reverted back to how it was in the first few days.

Updates October 3rd
Crazy Dave's predictions have come true, a big dragon is endangering the villagers. The dragon will spawn 4 times a day: at midnight, at 6AM, at noon, and at 6PM shard time. All until Sunday evening, the last dragon appearance will be on Sunday, October 7th, 23:59 shard time.

Also, we found an error in the quest reward giving for the rare rewards, so only the common decorative items were going out (on all 3 quests, Crazy Dave has different rewards). With today's restart we fixed this error, and until Sunday when these quests close, there will be a much bigger chance to get the rare rewards.
+Colibri, Administrator of UO Excelsior Shard

Don't know what the purpose of your life is? Well then make something up! ;)
(Old Colibrian proverb)
Animol
Elder Scribe

Re: Harvest seasonal event 2018

Post by Animol »

Given the combined daily limit, is there an advantage of doing one quest over the other? Does one give better/more rewards than the other?
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

Thoughts & opinions? I invite you to check out the green stone in the quest hub area, where you can submit your rating and opinions for the quests.

@animol: They should give roughly the same rewards, although the reward structure between the two active quests is different. Also, each quest has two specific special rewards that can be gotten only from there.
You can chose to do the same one 5 times, if you want to wait. Or you can mix it a little. Choices choices :)
+Colibri, Administrator of UO Excelsior Shard

Don't know what the purpose of your life is? Well then make something up! ;)
(Old Colibrian proverb)
pen43
Adept Scribe

Post by pen43 »

Don't know to ask here or not but is there a totem reward for this quest for a certain amount of runs as nothing mentioned about it ? thanks +C for the quest and thanks to all the staffs hard work put into the quest.
Why is the mistletoe hanging over the baggage counter?” asked the airline passenger, amid the holiday rush.

The clerk replied, “It’s so you can kiss your luggage good-bye.”

In Game Name :- penfold if you need to pm me anything
+Requiem
Legendary Scribe

Post by +Requiem »

There is no totem reward for the harvest quests.
Honus
Journeyman Scribe

Post by Honus »

Does doing the optional Elemental quests increase reward chances? For both quests I am primarily getting jars of preserves and not the other cool quest rewards (not counting pumpkins and apples).
TeslaElectra
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by TeslaElectra »

I think most people are having the same luck. I may be wrong, but I think it's currently a 50/50 chance to get a cool random drop so it's possible to get nothing. However, there is a stone near the quest to give input (what you do and don't like about the quest) and since there have been various complaints about it as well.. I saw +C or +R mention that it was going to change sometime next week (the next few days now, I think) to 100% chance.
culichi
Legendary Scribe

Post by culichi »

I don't think francis the bull is spawning anymore
TeslaElectra
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by TeslaElectra »

culichi wrote:I don't think francis the bull is spawning anymore
Did you see him before? I started when it opened and I've never seen him.
dreamstalker
Legendary Scribe

Post by dreamstalker »

i saw ferdinand the bull but not francis :P
I keep a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take an ass whoopin! just cause you aint paranoid doesnt mean they aint after you
culichi
Legendary Scribe

Post by culichi »

TeslaElectra wrote:
culichi wrote:I don't think francis the bull is spawning anymore
Did you see him before? I started when it opened and I've never seen him.
3 people have the achievement so far but no new achievers in past 3 days
Percephone
Passer by

Post by Percephone »

Francis the bull is spawning as intended and it is good and well, chewing grass in Trammel.
culichi
Legendary Scribe

Post by culichi »

sorry for the fake news francis is spawning :oops:
Annachie
Elysium Beta Tester

Post by Annachie »

culichi wrote:sorry for the fake news francis is spawning :oops:
Surely Francis is a mule. :lool:
Character name: Ebony
Annachie
Elysium Beta Tester

Post by Annachie »

Percephone wrote:Francis the bull is spawning as intended and it is good and well, chewing grass in Trammel.
Near the pen or anywhere in Tram?
Character name: Ebony