Plans for the coming months and years

Keep track of this topic. All announcements and short-term rules will be written here.
+Colibri
Administrator

Plans for the coming months and years

Post by +Colibri »

Some of you have been asking what are our plans for the near future. Since the recent departure of +Nyx and +Veritas, there's also speculation about what will happen to the facets that have been discussed so much in the past.

Well first, the shard is stable, we have automated backups, in cold storage as well, and I'm here every day to make sure all the gears are greased, to catch a lagspike, or whatever it takes for the technical stuff to work. +Arden wrote a lot of code since he came here and can tackle even the more sophisticated things now, so he's filling much of the »content coding« department. +Requiem has plenty of ideas, and likes to hang around to hear what you, the players, would like to see in the game, and codes some of it as wel. +Mocha is also around, giving feedback to the ideas as we discuss them, drawing from her experience as a player of many years.

Yesterday we were all chatting at our meeting, and +Requiem said: »the shard isn't going anywhere«. To which i jokingly replied: "i disgaree, we're going places" :)

The facets will not open as originally envisioned (two facets, Touria being a felucca facet, and Elysium being an ilshenar facet). There is however lots of code written, and we would definitely like all the energy put in it, to be seen and experienced. Some systems – food, buffs, fishing, crops, staff tools optimizations and added functionality, are already in the game, but don't have the accompanying items to utilize what the system can do. Then there's some coded things that are dormant, and haven't yet seen the light of day. So these are things that we will gradually think thru, test, and roll out into existance.

At the moment, it seems that these will likely be added to the existing facets, to enrich the overall playing experience. Although, we've been talking that maybe it would be a better idea to still make most of the things into a new facet, so that all the NPCs and dungeons don't interfere too much with the existing content.

The july seasonal quest (Dr Who) will not open. The first set of seasonal quests is planned to be the Fall Harvest in september, with some additions and changes.

As as long term approach, we'd also like to take a closer look at the overall progression of the game, to balance things out. Don't worry, we are all players and we know nerfs aren't popular, so that would be as a last resort. But perhaps certain things in the game could give bigger reward, or some things needing more time or effort to obtain.

For the following weeks and months, we have a few things almost ready, or on the priority list:
- Smuggler's lost treasures in swamps, coming in the next few days (something for all ages),
- Karate belt quest (mostly aimed at novice to intermediate levels),
- Carpentry BODs facelift, and carpentry craft recode to the new Craftarium craft system,

Not so exciting, but to maintain quality:
- a bunch of small bugs that need spraying,
- an in-game event schedule

We've also had a staff position or two that needed filling for a long time, so in the following days, so for those interested, look out for an announcement on how you can apply.
+Colibri, Administrator of UO Excelsior Shard

Don't know what the purpose of your life is? Well then make something up! ;)
(Old Colibrian proverb)
Octavius Thorn
Elder Scribe

Re: Plans for the coming months and years

Post by Octavius Thorn »

Thank you +C for this state of the shard post! Good to hear about the content from the Facets still being implemented into existing facets, to me that is the most logical way so glad to hear that! Why not use more of the uo cities we already do have for the newer content? Ive always thought more can be added to less trafficked cities with content (but not taking away from their classic feel) Yew for instance for a lot of the crop stuff ect. I always felt it silly how OSI always with a new expansion would bring in more cities which no one would go to or hang out in once the newness wore off.
Yoda
Legendary Scribe

Post by Yoda »

I have always been a fan of a world that evolves, you don't need to add a new place just make them less static, a trinsic that changes over time is vastly more interesting.

Anyway yeah +C you got this, I have to concur with Both you and Octavius the notion of better populating the facets that we already have makes sense. giving many more reasons to visit every corner of Ilshenar, felucca, tokuno malas, magda and trammel I think makes complete sense.
Guildmaster: JDI - Est 2011
Lady WhiteHawk
Novice Scribe

Post by Lady WhiteHawk »

Sounds Awesome +C
Opopanax
Legendary Scribe

Post by Opopanax »

I can't wait to see the progress and what you have all been up to and come up with.

It always amazes me what you 're able to do with this game given how old it is!
In game name: Abarai
Starfire
Novice Scribe

Post by Starfire »

Glad to hear this, I can't wait till the changes come. I would suggest do something with the taming BOD"S since the most u can make from 1 is 2k. I love this server and look forward to what is to come. It has always been the best.
brhanson2
Elder Scribe

Post by brhanson2 »

The future looks fun!
Carzikan (formerly known as Tostig on Great Lakes)
mattwaldram
Elder Scribe

Post by mattwaldram »

Yoda wrote: Anyway yeah +C you got this, I have to concur with Both you and Octavius the notion of better populating the facets that we already have makes sense. giving many more reasons to visit every corner of Ilshenar, felucca, tokuno malas, magda and trammel I think makes complete sense.
Absolutely! There's so much land out there which is currently not really active, that could be made so. I remember sailing to the demon temple in Fel the first time to discover the gates barred up, and thinking "one day, they should open these back up and let all hell break loose in there"... well, do that! :)

There's more than enough land mass to withstand the introduction of some new beasties, so theres' absolutely no harm in taking advantage of that before worrying too much about new lands and so on.

I know the recent changes - and those yet to come - are big, but I'll still be here - lurking in Wrong - to see the changes in.
-- In-game: Oslington Weasel
Yoda
Legendary Scribe

Post by Yoda »

and then I get to hear your jokes and that makes me happy
Guildmaster: JDI - Est 2011
Pek
Elder Scribe

Post by Pek »

Would love to see some of the new clothing graphics that are linked in the Elysium thread, especially robe, hooded cloak and belt options :D
I agree theres still so much under utilised land on the existing facets that we can develop. Looking forward to it +C.
Ecthelion - Drizzt - Gandalf Greyhame