Roadmap - part 0

Keep track of this topic. All announcements and short-term rules will be written here.
+Colibri
Administrator

Re: Roadmap - part 0

Post by +Colibri »

Just a cat update, I've mentioned her in the initial post. If this is not relevant to you, no need to read or reply.
+Colibri, Administrator of UO Excelsior Shard

Don't know what the purpose of your life is? Well then make something up! ;)
(Old Colibrian proverb)
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

Ok so basically this part is complete. It's been complete for a while, but this autumn has been really terrible, we were sick a lot, couldn't really get a few days even to just get my bearings.

There's still a few folders out there that could be tidier, but it's good enough for practical purposes. Things were getting too mess for my liking, to the point where if something crashed and got misplaced, it might take hours to restore, but that's on a good day... mix that up with sickness, or the kind of day when I just can't think straight... overall stressful.

Now that the desk is clean, it's time to mess it up again! No... no... not going to make the same mistake again :)
The whole point of being creative is to be messy. So in a way, these two things have to mix like two-component glue to make it work... but also, things that need to be stable like a power grid or airplane navigation, can't be done in a hackaton, so these two things cannot mix.

In a post a while back I mentioned that I'll be working on a sort of feature/bugfixing voting system, so we can determine what the priorities should be. I'll open a fresh thread with more info about the general direction of development when that goes live.

(Old Colibrian proverb)
MagicUser
Elder Scribe

Post by MagicUser »

Any word on a release date for portal-v2 or has that been put off?

Thank you for the update :).
Respectfully,
Paroxysmus ILV Master Spellcaster
Zeratul
Elder Scribe

Post by Zeratul »

What update? Lol that post wasn’t an update. No offense +C but you honestly just rambled some stuff on a road map thread. What was accomplished?
MagicUser
Elder Scribe

Post by MagicUser »

Zeratul, I believe he was talking about having put out the trash fires that he talked about in his original post. I got the impression that he was trying to clean off his desk (or at least organize it) before trying to dirty it up again with new projects. I assumed he was specifically referring to the parts below in +C's original post. Please correct me if I am wrong.
+Colibri wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:57 am
There are basically three piles of stuff that need to be addressed:
- Technical things that can't be seen, but clutter the environment or cause instability. And with more clutter, it's hard to find anything anymore. This is a huge boring pile, but it's near the end.
- Technical things that can be seen, for example: setting up discord server, organizing a group for Wiki edits, Mentor society…
- Non-technical things, which is the whole point – events and content. And not to end up in the same situation after a few years, this will be done differently in the future.
If I recall, the reason he had not gone into specific detail, was to be competitive with other shards and to not excite people only to be halted by scope creep.
+Colibri wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:57 am
There are also two additional reasons:
- Some shards look up to Excelsior, and I wouldn't like those ideas to be already there on competing shards, before coding even starts here. Well, the main challenge of these improvements isn't about knowing the idea, but properly connecting all the concepts and implementing them. With the goal that the system can perform well in the long run with the large quantities of code, objects, and data it has to handle.
- In the past there were announcements of new additions, and there was a lot of talk about it, when it was still on the drawing board. When it comes to programming, everything is possible, but some things that seem easy then just a single thing can take weeks to complete – and there's dozens of such components to make. So as a guideline, improvements will be announced when they are either near completion, or about to start if the schedule is cleared out to make it possible. And this big cleanup is mostly about clearing out the schedule, which I'll describe below.
Respectfully,
Zeratul
Elder Scribe

Post by Zeratul »

Good morning.

I’m following up on my previous inquiry about an update to the road map.

Thanks
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

Just writing the part1, any day now. But if you're hoping it will contain anything particular that you would like, it likely doesn't contain that.

(Old Colibrian proverb)
Zeratul
Elder Scribe

Post by Zeratul »

Well this was confusing. But thanks for the quick response.
Wil
Legendary Scribe

Post by Wil »

+Colibri wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:58 pm
Just writing the part1, any day now. But if you're hoping it will contain anything particular that you would like, it likely doesn't contain that.
Howdy,

Question for you: there are a handful of things frustratingly missing from the yard wand. Floors matching classic house floors in particular. I don't know the code but would adding these be low enough hanging fruit for you to throw them in sooner rather than later? If yes, I'd be happy to put together a list of item ids and an explanation for each for you to consider.

Thanks,
Wil
Melkor
Legendary Scribe

Post by Melkor »

+Colibri wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:58 pm
Just writing the part1, any day now.
Super excited to see Part1. Even if it isn’t any cool context, progress is progress and I’m excited to see where we are at.
TDC Guild
Johnny Warren
Legendary Scribe

Post by Johnny Warren »

Also super excited to see part 1!!! Almost 2 years since part 0 was released as a bit of a teaser, would be great to see your plans +C, whatever they are. Can you at least clarify if you're planning on shutting the lights off, or aiming to keep this thing going for a bit longer? Many thanks for your time.
JOHNNY WARREN!
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

Thanks Melkor and John Warren for the good vibes. Definitely not shutting the lights off, but preparing for what I hope will be a fun time for everyone (and in a sustainable way, so I'm not just putting out fires, which is not good for anyone's health).

Wil, yeah the Yard Wand could use an upgrade or a complete recode, but we'll see how big of a priority that will get.

(Old Colibrian proverb)
Praise
Master Scribe

Post by Praise »

And on the yard wand topic, please add permission to allow Co-Owners to use a yard wand. Several have wanted me to do that for them and I told them I couldn't. Keep up the good work! =)
Praise
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

Sorry for the delay, the "any day now" has been downgraded to "any week now". I was planning to post the roadmap earlier in the month, but a few things got in the way and now I'm on vacation. I think I got my affairs in order and I'll be able to spend more time in our virtual world when we come back on August 7th (but the week following will be full of errands). An important disclaimer however, I have a feeling that as I'm around more, many of you are thinking that I'll be able to take care of the issues and ideas of your particular interest with a higher priority. The first project will be something to manage all the needs, ideas and wishes, and bug reports... and prioritize them.

(Old Colibrian proverb)
MagicUser
Elder Scribe

Post by MagicUser »

+Colibri wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:42 pm
The first project will be something to manage all the needs, ideas and wishes, and bug reports... and prioritize them.
Sweet!
Finally, a way to access all of ButteryBiscuits's tickets :lool:. *poke* *poke* *poke*
Respectfully,