So You Wanna Be A DJ

Topic from the Bards forum older than 2015
Chyna
Expert Scribe

So You Wanna Be A DJ

Post by Chyna »

Welcome to the world of music appreciation and the love of sharing what you enjoy with the rest of the world you play with. DJ'ing can be an almost scary thought when you first sit down to think about it.. you need to know your music, you need to believe in your personality, and you need to be brave enough to let others hear your voice. But in reality the duties of a DJ are very similar to what you do in your day to day life, except you are sharing it, and how many can honestly admit they have NEVER played their CDs on their stereos so their roomies could hear it? how many of you can admit you have NEVER spoken to a single soul? thats what i thought.. everyone has done it.. so this is really no different..

First all you need is winamp, shoutcast, and a library of at least 3 hours of music (tho there are other programs out there, i am old school and can only offer support on what i know), thats all you really need to get started. Everyone has at least 3 hours of music somewhere in their house, wether on CDs or as MP3s on their computer ;)

So you think maybe your type of music won't be enjoyed by others.. trust me.. there are more people out there that share your idea of "Good" music then you might believe.. just because Chyna may not like much country.. there are those of you out there that do... maybe Chyna is stuck in the 80s and likes her 80s rock, 80s Techno, and todays "dancey" stuff.. doesn't mean others do.. but there are those that do.. don't let your pre-assumption that others will not enjoy your style of music keep you from doing something remarkably fun!
Chyna
Expert Scribe

Re: So You Wanna Be A DJ

Post by Chyna »

I will confess that when i first started DJ'ing, I had the same pre-assumptions as anyone else that has never done it has. First i have a remarkably pain, almost annoying ex-cheerleader voice, i hate it, figured no one else would wanna hear it (yea i know what you all say about it, i still don't believe it :P). I didn't believe anyone would want to hear what i have to share, who wants to be stuck in the 80s? I knew i talked a lot and that was probably going to annoy people (some are the opposite but same holds true, to quiet and people won't like it).. If I had let these things stop me from my very first time on the mic.. where would i be today?

Today i am a broadcast certified DJ as of June 2006 and have a passion for sharing and teaching others what i do.. so if you have even the smallest interest, even if the fear is bigger, let us know!! we would be more then happy to hold your hand through tests and make sure you are comfortable before you even go "public".. I can guarantee after your first 10 minutes on the stream, you will feel completely "old shoe".. and you'll wonder to yourself "what kept me from doing this" ..

I look forward to hearing from SOME of you.. i know your out there.. let us know who you are!! :D

~ROCK ON!!~ :dance
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

As far as that fear of being on the mic goes, I can confirm that after speaking a minute for about 3 times, that fear completely fades and then you can't get enough of it :)
+Colibri, Administrator of UO Excelsior Shard

Don't know what the purpose of your life is? Well then make something up! ;)
(Old Colibrian proverb)
Jillmuffit
Adept Scribe

Post by Jillmuffit »

I want to rock some faces off :) :) I've actually done some podcasts befoe and i do alot of recording/music projects on my own and with bands. So in other words.. I'm very interested
Chroma
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Chroma »

Count me in. As soon as I buy my new laptop with my homeowners insurance money ill throw some tunes out there. My laptop got stolen so I will get all my music off my portable onto the new laptop. PM me ON THE FORUMS with more info please.

-Chroma
â–‘â–‘â–‘â–‘â–‘â–‘Excelsior Community Helperâ–‘â–‘â–‘â–‘â–‘â–‘
PM me in game or via MSN for Excelsior NON-GM support
Chyna
Expert Scribe

Post by Chyna »

After a little sit down tete-a-tete with Colibri we have come to a few rules that need to be established for anyone interested in becoming a DJ for Excelsior radio... they are easy rules and we may bend a little depending on which one it is... this is supposed to be fun after all so here is what we have decided thus far..

1) Account age must be at least 2 weeks old.. the reason for this is we want to be sure you are enjoying your time here at Excelsior and are not just going to up and disappear on us... it happens when people realize the shard rules..
2) You must be at least 18 real life years.. maturity is not really based on age, as some 13 year olds can be far more mature then some 35 year olds, so we may bend on this a bit, but in reality, an 18 year old and older usually has an easier time with knowing what is right and wrong, and holding their tongue when something irks them (believe me, today i almost blew it and proved that even 35 year olds can lose their cool, my daughter, on the other hand, would have)
3) Your library must be censored, yes even i have fallen into this on a few songs and have had to already delete several of my songs because they were not Excelsior radio approved... take time to listen to your songs, and i do mean, REALLY listen to them.. there are songs that you may have heard a million times and never realized that it had cursing in it. If you can find a radio editted version of the song, then GREAT! if not then we ask that you please do not play it. (or Colibri will spank you :P j/k)
4) Rule #4, the most important rule beyond all others (okay maybe not) have fun! Music is about fun, keep in the back of your mind that your taste in music may not be that of others, people will voice their opinions and annoy you endlessly, every artist in every profession (and yes DJ'ing is a form of artistry!) will have hecklers... try to let them roll off you like water.. have fun!

okay i think thats all we have for now.. hopefully soon we will have a schedule set with a time slot that people wish to spin during, although at this point we have an open stream, DJ when you can if no one else is on, in the future just to make things a little more stable.. i am hoping a schedule will make more sense and our listeners will know when their "Favorite" DJ is on... I am also very open to ideas.. so if you have anything to add, or anything for us to consider.. please feel free to voice it.. we're not mind readers and won't know what your desire is without you letting us know...

Rock On Excelsior! :dance
Jillmuffit
Adept Scribe

Post by Jillmuffit »

so once i get winamp what do i do? :) help me out here
slyshyone
Apprentice Scribe

Post by slyshyone »

Well I am a longtime Internet DJ, I've dj'd on a site that is for mature audiences and alot of my music is not edited. Although all of the music I play CAN be edited. I use Sams4 to DJ http://www.spacialaudio.com/products/sa ... index.html there are some screenshots if yall would like to take a look. I am currently only 8 days old so 6 more days to go until I can be considered :P.

I also have run my own Lounge aka Chat room with a radio station with all live dj's 24 hours a day. Every shift was ran two hours. I am just giving you a little bit of background into my djing. I currently like to play hiphop/rap/80's/90's and whatever else is requested.

Let me know if you ever need help on doing a schedule or anything else and I hope when the time comes yall will allow me to dj for ya.
Chyna
Expert Scribe

Post by Chyna »

Jillmuffit wrote:so once i get winamp what do i do? :) help me out here
well after winamp you require shoutcast (this is a free program for broadcasting, SAM that some people use is a pay for program that costs an arm and 2 legs) .. it can be gotten at http://www.shoutcast.com and then click on the link that says "to become a DJ"... everything else we need to give you as for how to connect to the stream and all the other fun stuffs.. but we'll need to talk tete-a-tete before we go further then this
slyshyone
Apprentice Scribe

Post by slyshyone »

Chyna wrote:
SAM that some people use is a pay for program that costs an arm and 2 legs)

OoO but its so worth it. I love it :-D

And I still have all my limbs it just cost me my first born :P
Dash Ravishing
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Dash Ravishing »

<Please Remove>
Last edited by Dash Ravishing on Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Striker
Adept Scribe

Post by Striker »

To ALL the DJ's.....

Thank you for your time and the willingness to share with the rest of us.
Work as if you don't need the money.
Love as if you have never been hurt.
Dance as if no one is watching.
Fiacha
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Fiacha »

I would do this but like I have said before it would just be me talking most of the time lol I don't know anything about music nor could I afford a library to make the people happy one as extensive as Chyna's SOOO unless people would just want to hear me talk I can't lol
BlaZe
Legendary Scribe

Post by BlaZe »

I'd really like to start spinning or DJing in the near future - I've been working on my library of music over the past couple weeks and have quite a solid collection. Still need some of the more popular country and hip-hop/R&B songs, but I'm hoping that as long as the requests flow in, that will be easier.

Once I hear from Chyna (or someone else who can give me the editing policies), I'll get to work on censoring.
EasyUO Devotee
Download
My Popular ScripZ
Pet FightR | Doorman | TrainR: Lockpicking | HealR
caz2069
Novice Scribe

Post by caz2069 »

goodmorning i was talking to doc and he told me that i should talk to you about becoming a dj. i have 2 small kids (8and 3) and like to playaround with music. my computer is lmostly on if im here and i have a hugh music stock pile via cd and ipod stuff. Anyway some thing i'd like to do to give back to the shard......
Much Luv and remember we all noobs sumtime..........