Help Seed the Prepatched Client (i.e. Help New Players)

Melkor
Legendary Scribe

Help Seed the Prepatched Client (i.e. Help New Players)

Post by Melkor »

I needed to Download the client on another computer, so like usual i went to UOEX and followed the link to download the Prepatched Client only to notice there to be a new process and the direct download link to the prepatched client to be removed. See link below, which is actually just the link off uoex.net front page. Go take a look now :)

So the first thing i did was click on the torrent to find the prepatched client. I noticed there is only one seeder, making me think that as it is not well seeded and slow to download. So i went with the other option of downloading from download.com. The instructions say to change the login.cfg, and override the hues.mul, no problem there. However as this client has not been patched with our "extras", many things do not come through properly, like the custom rideables, the pirate ship bar next to brit bank, the hue room is out in the grass! So for this there needs to be more files downloaded and overridden. But, like the client itself, these files cannot be hosted on uoex.net anymore. So the new player will have to find someone in game or some way to identify these files and arrange them to be transferred.

My concern is that this might turn new players away from UOEX. So an easy solution i think would be to get more seeders out there. I know everyone has different computer setups, but perhaps there are some that can seed this on a regular basis, maybe someone who already seeds a variety of torrents. I'm sure the actual usage won't be incredibly high, but I'd feel better seeing at least 5 seeders out there so new people who are checking out a variety of shard pages will know that uoex's players stand behind the shard and that getting the prepatched client will be no problem.

Super short side note, My understanding is that the prepatched client itself was not even fully updated (although still much more updated then the basic one). Since we are moving towards torrents, perhaps a new torrent of the fully patched client could be created to make it the easiest of processes.

So that's that.

http://www.uoex.net/startup
TDC Guild
Melkor
Legendary Scribe

Re: Help Seed the Prepatched Client (i.e. Help New Players)

Post by Melkor »

Bump
TDC Guild
7oNine
Apprentice Scribe

Post by 7oNine »

Good idea Quasar :) and yes, it really can turn away people who are not determined enough to just push through :(
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
To talk without thinking is to shoot without aiming.
davvol
Passer by

Post by davvol »

If it is of use, I can stick a copy on one of my web servers. No bandwidth cap, and should give you pretty respectable download speeds. Let me know if people feel this would be of use.
Ilsanor
Legendary Scribe

Post by Ilsanor »

You would need +Colibri's permission first I think. But other than that - a good idea, an alternative is always useful. Some people cannot use torrents at all. (ISP or parental control or whatever)

Though to be fair, the torrent client is pretty well seeded right now. Had 17 seeds and double that in peers and I managed to d/l at my maximum speed (10 MBit) just a few days ago. Though you need a client which supports DHT, otherwise you get nothing.
Melkor
Legendary Scribe

Post by Melkor »

I'm glad to hear that it's well seeded now :)
TDC Guild
AlphaPotato
Passer by

Post by AlphaPotato »

I am bumping this old thread because I uploaded Excelsior client to Mega.

uoml_excelsior_3c.exe (586.6 MB)
https://mega.co.nz/#!icdzHaoJ!NIbfqjaSk ... Q2e-Hr4vKM

I uploaded it because there was not enough seed one time and someone wanted the client. I guess we could put that up on the front page if it's not against any rules.