Taming Bod Rewards

UO_DK
Novice Scribe

Taming Bod Rewards

Post by UO_DK »

Just wanted to give my feedback on these.

So I started here a few months ago. Stuff on this server seems a bit stronger for someone with no relayers, which are expensive so I decided to go with the taming approach first. Use pets to farm $, get relayers and then go solo etc.

So to maximize I wanted to get atleast some wrestle PS for my 5 imps. I look on the uoex vendor search and there were like 2 or 3 total. I bought the 2 setup for gold, and now there is only 1 left that is super expensive and for ED.

As such the ones on the market were months old even, nothing new or current. I decided, well I will just strat collecting bods and get them myself. After 3-4 weeks of collecting bods on 5 characters each day, I had enough do start filling a few LBods. Let me tell you, filling these takes forever. It isn't like other crafting where you just set the macro to make you 20 of something in 10 seconds. A 20 6 piece LBod (even for non-agro stuff you can find in the taming practice area) takes over an hour. The delay it takes to try and tame something, then running around and finding it.. it's a lot of work.

So I go turn in my first LBod that I took a lot of time to collect bods and tame 120 creatures for. I get the Bio engineering book. I am sure that's great for someone looking to breed pets, but upon searching and seeing plenty for sale for 10k, it was a pretty big let-down honestly. So fast forward a few day to when I had enough SBods to fill another LBod. I take another hour taming. I turn it in and get a pile of organics. That's marginally better than a 10k book, getting like 125-150kk of EXEX but still, for the time invested it feels a bit sub-standard a reward for the highest tier (6x 20 pc LBOD). Another week and I have enough bods to do another Lbod. This time I get some etheral leather. Again, some gold fodder for EXEX for me, but still.

If taming a creature was instant or something, perhaps it would be different since it would be easier to fill, but there are 5 per PS, atleast 3-4 normal BOD, a book, leather and organics. That's like a 1/12 chance to get what you are looking for in exchange for 60+ min of work. That's a large time investment for a 1/12 chance to get what you need.

Let's compare to the changes make to smithy LBods. According to the wiki page, all smithy LBods have 2 possible rewards. I can look at what I am doing and know what I am getting. If I want a Plat smithy hammer, I know if I do X bod I have a 50% chance to get that or a sharpening blade. Not to mention to fill that bod I can simply buy ingots off exex, and fill the whole bod in less than 5 min.

Also, due to the fact that more and more aren't being put up on the store, it means the people in general don't think that the payoff for the time invested is worth it. If those PS sold for 10m all day long, people would be doing them more but since they aren't if feels like people aren't engaging with your sysmte much, else we would see more of these PS being found and sold? Yes?

My suggestion is to only change the reward bundles. This leaves much less coding to be done to adjust. You can make it so people can better predict what they are going to get for their time invested. Right now you have organics as an option on every reward tier, + clothing on all but 4 of them, a leather type on all of them (some repeated from the 20 of one number to the 10 of the next higher number being the same). It just feels likeyou can tighten it up a bit.

I think you understand where I am coming from, list out the specific scrolls you can get. and limit each "box" on the grid to 2-3 things. Having a shot at 12 different things just feels bad. I am definitely not excited to go do more bods with my chance at getting a PS.
Nick
Legendary Scribe
Location: PA native, liveing in NC right now Moveing to TX in march

Re: Taming Bod Rewards

Post by Nick »

I agree with you that the taming rewards don't match the effort put in... I have lots of 6x20 dragon bods that just take forever to complete so I don't really ever do them... I did get a 130 tactics PS which was nice to sell but... the reward divided by time reward just isn't high enough to keep me doing it...

sadly I went over to blacksmithing bods and the large bod system is broken and the only Large ones you can get rn is the ringmail... (no chain or plate dropping) so, I guess ill be giving up blacksmithing before too long too. was hoping to be able to get a few sharpening blades for deco
Wil
Legendary Scribe

Post by Wil »

UO_DK wrote:Let's compare to the changes make to smithy LBods. According to the wiki page, all smithy LBods have 2 possible rewards. I can look at what I am doing and know what I am getting. If I want a Plat smithy hammer, I know if I do X bod I have a 50% chance to get that or a sharpening blade. Not to mention to fill that bod I can simply buy ingots off exex, and fill the whole bod in less than 5 min.
Actually, the plat hammers and sharpening blades are not obtainable right now because the smith isn't handling out large chain and plate bods. At all.
UO_DK
Novice Scribe

Post by UO_DK »

That is unfortunate to hear the BS bods are broken. However, the point is still valid. The other system BOD rewards were streamlined to make rewards more predictable and encourage people to participate. The Taming bod rewards do the opposite.

My goal isn't to "whine" about it, it's more to inform the dev that, perhaps, players feel this way. If people were often participating we would see the rewards on the vendors, but we don't. I am a developer as my profession in the real world and I know that if I spend time developing something, and no one interacts with it, that doesn't feel good. It means I used a lot of time and enegery making something that no one will benefit from. So rather than creating something else new, it's better to take the finished thing (that no one is using) and to find a way to make that useful by either improving it or re-marketing for another purpose, but that itme and energy has already been spent and can't be gained back. Anyhow, just trying to point out what I see.
thuanlinh
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by thuanlinh »

I agreed with your concerns regarding taming bods. However, I think taming bods are the only ones you can actually get top end small bod without high skill. I think with 50 taming you can get all the small bods needed. Also with taming bods, you dont need to buy or gather mats. So I guess maybe the reward system is to balance that?