Excelsior Historic Society

Octavius Thorn
Elder Scribe

Excelsior Historic Society

Post by Octavius Thorn »

As someone who has photographed over 100 different historic districts over the years as photography geek Ive always thought it would be great to have one in UO. This shard has a lot of great designers and deco folks that have some really nice stuff they have built and have kept it in place for some time just got a nice tour by Yoda of the very impressive JDI city the other day. It could be perhaps a committee of say 4 or 5 players(or perhaps its staff themselves) who pick homes for it and then staff places a nice banner where the sign in saying how old it is ect. Cant be just a classic design you plopped down 5 years ago and its still empty(still could be a classic just to be well done). I think the design/deco and age should go hand in hand. This shard has a great history as can be seen by all the event and quest rares but I think it would be great to add something along these lines it would only add to the shards history. Also we could do a sort of fine homes and gardens of excelsior banner.. It might help also motivate some of those with blank plots.. Anyways just throwing some ideas out there any others input would be great :D
Athena Tenebris
Grandmaster Scribe

Re: Excelsior Historic Society

Post by Athena Tenebris »

This sounds like a nice idea to me actually.

I kind of like the historical home aspect; but also a different issue to feature some newer homes that also are nice. Of course being under 2 years to the shard; I may be a bit biased there :)

But I think kind of 2 segments; historical life and times.. as well as a home and garden segment.

You could ask for people that would be interested in submitting their home to be featured or whatever and then you have great photo and in some cases a small write-up of the place if it has some meaning =)
Octavius Thorn
Elder Scribe

Post by Octavius Thorn »

My house is only 2 years or so myself heh Perhaps it can be "Preservation" Society of Excelsior as that can cover a broader spectrum
Golden Temptress
Elysium Beta Tester

Post by Golden Temptress »

This is a great idea, I'd be happy to help, could mark some runes to places like Jesterjay estates and Pips Paradise etc... too with a written up history guide by perhaps asking some of the very old vets?
daragincajun
Novice Scribe

Post by daragincajun »

Rossi's 48 house slot GOLDEN city
Silent
Legendary Scribe

Post by Silent »

I felt a bit click baited by this thread name however it inspired me in a different way.

It would be very important to the shard if there was an actual player society of historians for excelsior who could keep track of our shard's history and let it be available for everyone to read would possibly bring new players as well has old players. Information about guilds and guild founder, gms, updates patchs and releases, content introduced and it's evolution throughout this shards life.

And off course also as you suggested keep track of cities player made or houses :)
Lurking the forums since dec 2012
Golden Temptress
Elysium Beta Tester

This should probably be a feature suggestion but I'm putting this here so hopefully +Colibri will see this too, maybe an area called Excelsior Information Centre/Archives/Places of interest (perhaps there's a better name for it) for many year custom > excelsior halls has been empty so maybe the area could be utilised and there be various buildings with Libraries/Runes to Places of interest/Link stones to various parts of wiki etc....

Perhaps various players could maintain and update this area, this is all just an idea and putting it out there :)
graveshadow
Apprentice Scribe

Post by graveshadow »

Golden Temptress wrote:This should probably be a feature suggestion but I'm putting this here so hopefully +Colibri will see this too, maybe an area called Excelsior Information Centre/Archives/Places of interest (perhaps there's a better name for it) for many year custom > excelsior halls has been empty so maybe the area could be utilised and there be various buildings with Libraries/Runes to Places of interest/Link stones to various parts of wiki etc....

Perhaps various players could maintain and update this area, this is all just an idea and putting it out there :)
I love the idea to utilize excelsior halls. To bad my wife wont play she is in to historic preservation.
Octavius Thorn
Elder Scribe

Post by Octavius Thorn »

Would love to hear staff's thoughts on this when they get a chance. Thanks all for your input :D
Yoda
Legendary Scribe

Post by Yoda »

I have a different perspective on this idea.

if we go the road of "committees" and "juried in houses" what we are in effect doing is:

1. In the interest of being positive we become jaded snobs, some are "good enough" some are not

and since this is a post about shard history ... lets hear some.

in about 2010-2011 or so there was an idea, lets hold this amazing "most beautiful house on excelsior" event.. In fact it I think it was the first time to try a "deco contest" so initially the contest was people anonymously voted on the houses the shard general populace. so what happened you may ask?

my house/pheobe's house won that by a landslide. Should it have? not in a million years back then.

Basically fame and an easy to spell name happened, the loud in worldchat guy was the reason for the vote, which incidentally is why I entered in the first place (ezekial moss clearly had the best house on the shard at the time)

so... on the fly the end day of the contest they flip it to a jury.. now was the outcome any more fair?

not even close, it was just the jury favorite this time and again ... EM I believe got the shaft.

so.. in conclusion

I love the idea, I like the notion of a shard being creative making beautiful and interesting places etc, I even like the idea of tours and an orated history of the shard, the second its not 100% inclusive of all you have lost me

I mean look at it from this perspective.. Acidbern has made some epic ugly structures in the midst of my houses at various points, almost worthy of recognition in a wow thats.. interesting sort of way.

if its only the Best of the best what we in effect have done is make this snobby elitist gated community of the "historial society"

which by all means do that.. I shall enjoy looking at your boogers since your noses will be stuck way up in the air
Guildmaster: JDI - Est 2011
Golden Temptress
Elysium Beta Tester

I agree in most part that having current players on display could promote an element of ego and snobbery, there is areas like Jesterjay and Pips Island Paradise that are old player houses which have been preserved as part of the shards history and that would be better for the interest in something of this nature and theres is also places like the swimming pool area in tokuno/the lighthouse etc, perhaps books from various players with topics of interest/their personal history on this game/as well as useful game information/runes.

A nice idea would be everyone gets to take one book once a year and has the chance to write a story of theirs/shard history and pop it in a special box where if its good enough it goes on permanent display.

The main idea in all this is people pulling ideas together and being proud of the community and wanting to share with others old/new :)
Octavius Thorn
Elder Scribe

Post by Octavius Thorn »

You raise some excellent points Yoda.. No snobbery should come from this at all. Not a popularity contest. This is about thoughtful design mixed with historic significance.. What I am hoping to see happen is not a "Life styles of the rich and famous" for instance Albini Steve has an awesome like 14x12 or something in Tokuno that is just awesome and would be deserving of a banner based on the concept I would like to see done. My concept isn't about recognizing age old designs that their owners have long left and +C alone has saved them(which is a good thing he does that and they should be included). That isn't really what I am proposing. What I would like to see is a simple banner placed near the front of a structure with dates placed other info ect and apart of the preservation society(if the house falls, the banner falls). This would need staff help as players we cant see dates of someone else's building. This shouldn't be some really difficult over the top criteria. Just perhaps a committee plus staff agrees on a particular property, there ya have it. I see nothing wrong with a player making a rune library to these places I think just needs some info on the banner itself is sufficient "officially" as we have the *house gates* link we should use to explore. I don't think a special section should be made for this grouping. Keep the ideas coming, the feedback is very much appreciated! :D
+Requiem
Legendary Scribe

Post by +Requiem »

In theory, I like the idea.

Understand, I'd need to run it by the other staff first, but what if....

There was a small area dedicated to this for you. Say... 5 total house-gates. You would then have to update regularly (once a month)? In case people demolished/changed/moved etc, so it would have to be current, and then you could give tours, or whatever. I stole an idea for a book publishing system that could go well with something like this.

People could compete for their chance to be in "This Month's Picks"

Currently have some other things to get added before that though.

I do have a couple questions.

Who would be responsible for maintaining up-to-date house-gates?
What happens if they quit, or take a break?
What do we do if/when others want to do something similar?
Octavius Thorn
Elder Scribe

Post by Octavius Thorn »

Req I love the "this months Picks" aspect.. I think it should be a committee with staff and players.. I don't think it would take up that much time overall. As far as your questions go that is why the banner aspect is perfect.. its a one time banner placement, the house falls the banner falls... Allows a committee to consider a property and its up to the owner to maintain it to stay recognized