Upcoming Food Revamp

culichi
Legendary Scribe

Re: Upcoming Food Revamp

Post by culichi »

nyx you mentioned that there already are a few benefits to eating in game could you tell us what those are?
I also eat before crafting with runic tool out of superstition really since ive never read anything official about being well fed helping.
Wil
Legendary Scribe

Post by Wil »

+Colibri wrote:Looking forward to some input regarding these specific planned changes, as well as some outside-the-box ideas if anyone wants to pitch in.

That was a part of the Ultima games I so much did not love.
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

Thankfully, there won't be any hunger spam in this system. It will show on your buff bar, no nagging reminders to eat
Wil
Legendary Scribe

Post by Wil »

So my character will become feeble and the game won't give me any feedback why? Sounds fun, sign me up.

Seriously though, I really hate the idea of a satiation-based regen debuff. I'd much rather see a bonus for navigating that tricky path between hungry and stuffed. 'Cause stuffed is bad too: think lunch coma where your concentration is shot.

If there has to be a debuff I'd rather see it on attacks with an eventual message to the effect of, "You are so hungry you fumble your weapon," or "hunger pains disrupt your [spell casting] concentration." Even that may be unfun for folks who don't have HBOH's to cart around 60k stacks of ribs.

Regards,
Wil
patrix
Elder Scribe

Post by patrix »

Really Wil...
th.jpg
th.jpg (26.34 KiB) Viewed 7252 times
Last edited by patrix on Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Michiko in game

A woman without a man is like a fish without a bicycle..
Irina Dunn
Alamiester
Legendary Scribe

Post by Alamiester »

Wil wrote:
+Colibri wrote:Looking forward to some input regarding these specific planned changes, as well as some outside-the-box ideas if anyone wants to pitch in.
i took the images out cause they are quite big, but that brought back tons of memorys. ultima 6,7,8 where the building blocks of this game. i think there was a lot more freedom in those ones though, although they werent online. but i remember if you where hungry you could just walk around and eat whatever was laying around. and take stuff from npc house if they werent looking or werent there. makes me wanna fire up my old 486 again, lol
Octavius Thorn
Elder Scribe

Post by Octavius Thorn »

a System like this will need lots of actual player testing for sure if this is strongly balanced out perhaps it can add a bit to regens but I don't think it should be the center piece of how the game is played on the shard for sure. Also the last paragraph heh no way! that would not be uo to me puking and what not. So all in all I just hope for balance with it :D
Baxster
Adept Scribe

Post by Baxster »

So, from the sounds of it, you double click a food item once every few hours? I double click my pillow more than that during gameplay, I'm pretty sure I'll be able to handle this.
Miranda Ventrata
Elder Scribe

Post by Miranda Ventrata »

Sounds good to me, I can finally put all this Rare/GM made food to use! It's been going stale in my house for so long.
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

About text notifications, i plan there to be 3 of them: when you get to 50%, again at 25%, and when you hit 0%. And probably periodic after that, at about once per hour.

I like the idea of there being a chance to stumble when you fight hungry, or perhaps if you craft there'd be a chance to be interrupted with a message "you're too hungry to keep crafting" (but no loss of materials).
+Colibri, Administrator of UO Excelsior Shard

Don't know what the purpose of your life is? Well then make something up! ;)
(Old Colibrian proverb)
Yoda
Legendary Scribe

Post by Yoda »

although I don't generally have an issue with what is proposed I am sure this goes without saying

debuffs that will drop stamina to zero should be tested, tested again, and then tested again, it could have unexpected results
Guildmaster: JDI - Est 2011
Asmodean
Legendary Scribe

Post by Asmodean »

I LOVE the idea of the food buff system, but... I HATE the idea of being forced into using it.

I think it would be better if there was a way to 'opt out' after a time period...

So then you could use it when you wanted, then get penalized for a while, then "reset" back to "normal", with no buffs or penalties.

There is no other system in UO that forces anyone to use it, and I don't think hunger/cooking should be an exception.
Silent
Legendary Scribe

Post by Silent »

This is probably the only news I'm not so happy to hear :/

Forcing to feed in UO is the last thing I would look for to enjoy this game, food buffing would be great in order to give food the purpose you seek, but forcing players to feed is just a part of UO that should not exist.

If you want food buffs + you must eat to live it will come a time when "you are too full" to eat the buffs, that's why you starve in the game ...

And normally the starvation effect was spell fizzling and crafting fail not stamina and other regens , you are going full extreme on food guys :/

might as well mark a rune for a farmer since you cant reach him without stamina ...
Lurking the forums since dec 2012
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

+Colibri wrote:Stamina would be somehow exempt from zero-regen up to some point, since if you are stuck somewhere you still have to be able to move.
As +C said in his post, stamina will only lower to the minimum point required to still be able to move/recall/etc.

You will be able to eat past the "cap" in order to keep buffed.

Eating a couple foods every ~4 hours is not "full extreme". We could have made it so not eating every hour harms you to the point of death. That would be extreme. Most players play in roughly 4 hour blocks (or a little less) before taking a break, so that means a few double-clicks on your food stack before you start playing for the day. It is hardly more involved than turning on one's healing script for the day.
Maze Scarlethart
Master Scribe

Post by Maze Scarlethart »

Alamiester wrote:
Wil wrote:
i took the images out cause they are quite big, but that brought back tons of memorys. ultima 6,7,8 where the building blocks of this game. i think there was a lot more freedom in those ones though, although they werent online. but i remember if you where hungry you could just walk around and eat whatever was laying around. and take stuff from npc house if they werent looking or werent there. makes me wanna fire up my old 486 again, lol
Haha I love those games too, I bought 1-7b fairly cheap (less than 20 CAD) already dos boxed and slowmo'd so it will run on current computers. So no need to get out the 486, PM me and I will link you to the online store if you're interested. :)

On topic tho, I'm down with needing to eat in this game... I do anyhow. And most games that I play other than excelsior requires food consumption so it wont bother me at all. UNLESS it is like the old UO server I played where you can actually starve to death, I wouldn't like that since I rarely log out. I wouldn't want to starve to death while afk lol.