Buffs and Buff Bar

+Colibri
Administrator

Buffs and Buff Bar

Post by +Colibri »

As announced last week, we now have a new buff system that comes with a nice buff bar. Type [buffs to see it.

With today's restart, we upgraded:
- Buffs now support effects on an interval (something that happens every few seconds) and can have a duration, along with support for changing body and hue appearance, buff removal on death, and a few minor or internal things.
- Necro transformation spells now use this system and are visible in the buff bar.
- Sacred boon also upgraded.
- Note that according to UOGuide, most spells (including the popular protection spell) are removed on death. It looks like this wasn't the case before (unfinished code).

Please keep in mind that every in-game effect has it's own little system of tracking who has it enabled, so it will be a lot of work to recode them all to show up in the buff bar. For the next batch, I intend to upgrade the following:
- some magery spells: bless/curse/strength
- divine focus spell
- potions

But for any frequently used spells that would benefit from being seen in the [buffs menu, i'd gladly make it a priority. Looking forward to input.
+Colibri, Administrator of UO Excelsior Shard

Don't know what the purpose of your life is? Well then make something up! ;)
(Old Colibrian proverb)
Rhiemath
Grandmaster Scribe

Re: Buffs and Buff Bar

Post by Rhiemath »

Lovin the buff bar. Nice to be able to see what's active and what isn't. That being said, Vampiric Embrace isn't working for us. Far as I can tell, only the Fire resistance penalties result from casting the spell. Skin no longer changes hue, and no health drain effect is applied to our hits. Hard to test the regens, but I suspect they aren't working either. Glad I've got almost 40k bandies on me. :P
Blathzar
Elder Scribe

Post by Blathzar »

This is really great and i'm sure it's part of the new facets for probably new items which will give various duration boosts. Cant wait to see more.

Thanks for all the hard work behind the scene. :D

Cheers!
Shindaril
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Shindaril »

Love the buff bar, makes it easier to find out what buffs you have active and being able to read the active statuses from it is simply sweet.

However, as Rhiemath already posted, Vampiric Embrace is broken now. Tested it with a yumi and Pixie Swatter I was leveling, so it's not melee/ranged related. I also tested Curse Weapon to see if the leech works on it and it works as it should, but I know +Colibri knows better...Just stating some observations here.

Another issue I found, I returned not two days ago and I'm still using my old EasyUO scripts I used before I took off for a break, my current EasyUO version is from year 2015, so that might be part of the problem, cannot name the exact version, I'm afraid. Anyway, I died right after a client crash, which was most likely due to my old version of EasyUO running in Win10, but that's not related...After resurrecting and opening the four bags and pouches I have via a script which handles them by ItemID, a Bag appeared into my Backpack. It's name is simply "Bag" and it has no other shown properties. Double clicking this Bag opens the Buff Bar just like using the [buffs command. I can drop it on the ground and still use the command to open the Buff Bar and still pick it up.

My guess is, the Buff Bar is bound to an invisible Bag type item inside the Backpack and for some reason (either my scripts or client crash followed by death) revealed this Bag inside my Backpack and another, hidden one, was created by the system.

I will keep this Bag inside my Backpack for the time being, to let you, the staff, to take a look at it and dispose it once you're done. I will also send a page in game after finishing writing this with a pointer to this post. it's just so much easier to describe the issue here.

Keep up the good work, I know this system is and will be a big one ^^
Kara
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Kara »

Oh whoa. Welcome back Shin!

OT: Love that VE now shows on the bar. Sad that leech doesn't work. However, has anyone tested it on preventing form changes? (I really should do it myself. Ugh.)

Update: Both animal form and polymorph were blocked. (YAY!) Now to test it on Baracoon.

Update 2: It also still protects from Baracoon's rattification. (Whoo!)
Last edited by Kara on Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rhiemath
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Rhiemath »

It does also still protect from poisons. Sure am missing the leech though.
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

I've applied a few bug fixes with today's restart: mana leech issue, a body color was wrong i think, and issues with glitches on death. Thanks for all the feedback, I'll post here when there's more progress with upgrading old effects into this new system.
+Colibri, Administrator of UO Excelsior Shard

Don't know what the purpose of your life is? Well then make something up! ;)
(Old Colibrian proverb)
Shindaril
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Shindaril »

Thank you Kara

-----------------------------

Sweet! Thank you +C for fast fix on this one.

Did some testing and the life leech on Vampiric Embrace seems to be working fine. Didn't test dieing, but based on your reply to here, +C, and seeing the "Bag" has disappeared from my backpack, I believe you found the issue. The only suggestion I have for the skill at the moment, is it's description in the Buff Bar. Just like Protection shows "Prevents Spells From Being Disrupted", Vampiric Embrace could list it's other properties along with the -25 Fire Resistace. It's a small thing, just saying it here for when you go over the system on a later day.

Very nice work and a great idea with the Buff Bar, it surely helps.