Tailor BOD quick touchup

+Colibri
Administrator

Tailor BOD quick touchup

Post by +Colibri »

First, disclaimer: yes, all BODs could use a massive overhaul, but that's for another day. But while we're on the subject of tailoring being "re-mastered" to the new craft menu, there's a few ideas to make just the tailoring bods a bit more interesting:

- Automatic loom & automatic spinning wheel addition.
- Tailor's armor of crafting to have a chance to drop with a Faster Tailoring bonus. Somewhere from 2% to about 20% per piece, based on what bod you submit (there's 6 possible pieces). Has uses, so everytime you craft with it, it takes away a use from this time bonus.
- I hear tailor's protector is rather useless, maybe that can get a time boost on it as well.

Looking for input about what is currently really completely busted, and could be fixed while I'm visiting this part of the code. But keep in mind, the major rework of the bods is not for now.
+Colibri, Administrator of UO Excelsior Shard

Don't know what the purpose of your life is? Well then make something up! ;)
(Old Colibrian proverb)
+Requiem
Legendary Scribe

Re: Tailor BOD quick touchup

Post by +Requiem »

My opinion on the Tailor Bod rewards: I don't think the system needs an overhaul, just better rewards.

the cloth is mostly useless, since the colors are not unique (uni tub). (but it is free cloth). I think could be replaced/buffed since it has different tiers, that don't really mean anything.
(Submitted a feature idea a while back, asking if these hues could be removed from uni tub - never got a response - would make them useful again).

the looms will be useless with the new machines, other than deco.

leather, ok free leather is always nice.

colored scissors - iirc, they give you bonus material back if you cut something up - not bad - would be better if you could cut up bone armor and get bone back.

low end runic tools - Would like to see a way to combine them into higher tier kits. Perhaps with a hunted/bod reward component then a 5->1 or 10->1 use ratio: ie: 5 use spined kit + kit combiner = 1 use horned kit

master's knife - i believe you get extra meat/bones when you cut up a corpse... should be able to combine uses (i don't know if this gives you extra hides or not)

charged dye tub - kind of neat, but again uni tub diminishes it's usefulness. Different than the leather tub though, so that's good.

tailors protector - useless because everyone has no skill cap

So if we could enhance/replace these, I think that's the only real "upgrade" the system needs, and the RNG. IIRC, it only gives one reward type per server reboot - ie: if you turn in 5 whatever bods, you'll get only one type of tailoring gear... sleeves +3, sleeves +3, sleeves +3 etc, rather than <random piece of +3 > <random piece of +3 > <random piece of +3 >

I'd add in something like faster components/upgrades for the machines, maybe some unique recipes, increase the gold/tokens for completing bods, some new deco stuff, (I like the faster tailoring bonus you mentioned on gear, although not so much the limited uses). I'd rather see the gear bind on equip, than limited uses.

I also wouldn't be opposed to having a unique item required if you were relayering something into a cloth/leather piece that you get from a BoD reward.
+Requiem
Legendary Scribe

Post by +Requiem »

I'd also like to see an item, that gave you multiple bods at once, but was only usable once per day as a high end reward.

if you can get a bod every 2 hours, max per day is 12 - this item would give you 9, but all your timers would be set to 23 hours.
Wil
Legendary Scribe

Post by Wil »

+Colibri wrote:- Tailor's armor of crafting to have a chance to drop with a Faster Tailoring bonus. Somewhere from 2% to about 20% per piece, based on what bod you submit (there's 6 possible pieces). Has uses, so everytime you craft with it, it takes away a use from this time bonus.
Speaking for myself, I need complicated crafting armor about like I need a hole in the head.

I also tend to dislike use-based items. There's a reason the wands are mostly trash, even on other shards. The benefit has to be huge before an enhancement with a small number of uses is worth paying any attention to.

+Colibri wrote:Looking for input about what is currently really completely busted, and could be fixed while I'm visiting this part of the code. But keep in mind, the major rework of the bods is not for now.
IIRC, there's one large cloth set whose reward (clothing bless deed) is not useless.

When Bone Armor's exceptional chance is working right, it's way too hard to get exceptionals for bod filling. The materials cost so far outpaces the reward it's silly.

Give the gold turn-in a sliding scale so that the more often a bod is turned in, the less gold comes with it... and vice versa, the less a bod is turned in the more gold it yields. 50k gold for a 10 count normal cloth shirt because nobody ever turns those in.
Wil
Legendary Scribe

Post by Wil »

As long as I'm thinking about it, the biggest problem with bods is: there are too many combinations. So many that it takes forever to build up sets. I'd like to see the number of leather colors cut in half and the 15-count bod eliminated. That would help a lot.
Tufi
Master Scribe

Post by Tufi »

Colibri, BEWARE! Custom stuff that nerf UO stuff as in automated spinning wheels and looms or making new rare items, destroys a crafter's customer base. THIS is the main reason OSI failed. Crafters and Vendors became useless
Gaara
Legendary Scribe

Post by Gaara »

+Requiem wrote:Submitted a feature idea a while back, asking if these hues could be removed from uni tub - never got a response - would make them useful again
I doubt that would make people wear cloth gear with 0 stats over relayers n whatnot just for a cool colour, unless you could craft something like a single use tub out of em.
Octavius Thorn
Elder Scribe

Post by Octavius Thorn »

[quote="+Requiem"]My opinion on the Tailor Bod rewards: I don't think the system needs an overhaul, just better rewards.]

This. ^^

Recipes Recipes Recipes if its through BODs rewards or something else from the tailoring system we need some new hats, boots, jackets and robe layer stuffs

To me this is the vital part, character customization is one of greatest things about UO and always need to be moving forward.
For me what is use of mechanics upgrade if there is no eye candy part of it 8)
Last edited by Octavius Thorn on Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[Glyph]
Legendary Scribe

Post by [Glyph] »

BODs are fun if you can get all the necessary smalls to fill the large. If you make automatic looms and spinning wheels (I like this idea, drop a pile of cotton, flax etc and it processes it at the normal speed as if you were standing there. No immediate return. Double click to retrieve your completed pile of goods then move to the next step.) However, you can buy bolts of cloth from tailors last time I checked and the seeds for cotton and flax are not free. If you removed the bolts of cloth from vendors or limited the amount sold then this might work. That way people would have to grow their own or buy from someone who has taken the time to make the cloth for crafting or for bandaids. Good incentive for folks to work together. I have not looked at the cost of buying vs growing but if you can farm a vendor that restocks every 30 of 40 minutes then the crops system is redundant. Again, I have not checked the cost ratio vs time to earn gold etc. Just my 2 cents. And I have spent considerable time standing at my spinning wheel and loom making cloth. Also have 26 plantable soil spots in front of my.house. Just started thinking about buying from the vendors the other day so this is timed about right. Opinions?
Possum12
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Possum12 »

Perhaps an option for the runic tools would be to give them varying crafting bonus as an extra to crafting hammers etc. Doesn't have to be as much as hammer etc, but anything that reduces the chance of fails would be a positive. A few % makes a big difference when making 1000's of items for BoD's. Just a thought.
Tarkin Lamere in-game
Octavius Thorn
Elder Scribe

Post by Octavius Thorn »

The thing about Runic kits is currently in the end is they cant make anything as good as GOC item or Mistvale. They are just used as placeholders for most until they can get a jackals collar, SOT, GOC or relayer ultimately. It would be nice to see some things added for mid and higher range players not just for tailoring but blackmithy as well down the road when it gets its mechanics overhaul.
Possum12
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Possum12 »

Another thought for the "worthless" BoD rewards could be having a vendor where unwanted rewards could be "traded" for say raw materials of varying types depending on values decided by the powers. Better then just feeding the Token bag.
Tarkin Lamere in-game
culichi
Legendary Scribe

Post by culichi »

+Colibri wrote: - Automatic loom & automatic spinning wheel addition.
- Tailor's armor of crafting to have a chance to drop with a Faster Tailoring bonus. Somewhere from 2% to about 20% per piece, based on what bod you submit (there's 6 possible pieces). Has uses, so everytime you craft with it, it takes away a use from this time bonus.
- I hear tailor's protector is rather useless, maybe that can get a time boost on it as well.
- automatic loom and spinning wheel make me very nervous because unlike raw beeswax materials to create cloth can be farmed 24/7. automated tools sounds cool but isn't really needed and carries some risk so why do it.

- to make the crafting gear that speeds up production would only be attractive to people like me who like to fill hundreds of junk bods for shot at better bods so they would have to have a really high number of uses on the gear id say at least 2k uses. since we may also need the +tailor pieces maybe put the speed uses a jewelry slot item or if possible make it like powder of fort so we can apply the speed uses onto our +5 skill gear.

- tailors protector is useless and it takes up a high end bod slot so yeah definitely need it replaced with something decent. I also think the Bag of Resources is pretty worthless they are very difficult to sell even at 100k since so few people bother gathering resources and once they have a bag they'll never need another. 100k may sound like good money but its a top tier reward and like I said even at 100k hard to sell I have at least two dozen in storage.

the reward cloth is pretty worthless except as cloth to fill more bods but the bods that give that cloth are common and cheap to fill so I don't think they deserve a better reward. the higher cloths share reward chance with colored leather which a fantastic reward for crafters and again those bods are cheap to fill.

scissors, masters knives, charged tubs I just trash when I get them i wish we could get something of actual use in those slots maybe gargoyle knives with number of uses appropriate to their slot on reward chart.

a combine bag like the powerscroll bag for runic kits is a great idea and now we know unlimited use bags would be silly hehe but limited use bags as high end reward would really be usefull. i know even high end runic gear isn't in great demand but still some of us who like to roll dice on ethy runic kits.

tailor recipes that are actually rare or even one use recipes would be great bod reward for mid level

the high end reward that gives multiple bods per day is i think a terrible idea. farming bods 4 or 5 times a day is a grind and your reward is 4 or 5 new bods i don't like the idea of making that any easier for anyone except maybe me.

revamping the bod rewards was something i didn't have much hope of ever seeing so im really excited were even discussing changes on it :nod:
+Requiem
Legendary Scribe

Post by +Requiem »

the high end reward that gives multiple bods per day is i think a terrible idea. farming bods 4 or 5 times a day is a grind and your reward is 4 or 5 new bods i don't like the idea of making that any easier for anyone except maybe me.
How many times have you seen people asking the location of BOD vendors in world chat? I think something like this, could help increase that market for people buying, selling, and trading bods, who are too lazy for that "grind". It would help someone like you tremendously also, with a lot of "extra" lower-level bods, which would in turn help you get more high end bods, and satisfy the needs of that market (assuming the rewards are worth it at that level).
Wil
Legendary Scribe

Post by Wil »

+Requiem wrote:
How many times have you seen people asking the location of BOD vendors in world chat? I think something like this, could help increase that market for people buying, selling, and trading bods, who are too lazy for that "grind". It would help someone like you tremendously also, with a lot of "extra" lower-level bods, which would in turn help you get more high end bods, and satisfy the needs of that market (assuming the rewards are worth it at that level).
Howdy,

IMHO, the problem is quantity but it's the exact opposite quantity problem: too many combinations and an ineffective system for searching vendors for them.

Fewer combinations would help. Having bods in the books show up on vendors.uoex.net would help. Having more bods in the overall system... no great help.

Regards,
Wil