Veteran Rewards: Status Update

+Nyx
Administrator

Veteran Rewards: Status Update

Post by +Nyx »

Today I presented the completed outline of vet reward updates to +C and it was approved. He's going to pass that to +A soon to begin coding, and I think we will see these updates released in time for the shard's 11th anniversary next month.

I wanted to thank everyone who voted in the various polls and/or made title suggestions. A special thanks in particular to my "beta testers" who were helping by giving feedback on some of the ideas in-game. For updates like this, it's very difficult to do without helpful input and I was pleased there was so much activity and feedback available. It helped me get this done a lot quicker, and I think that the majority of players will be really pleased with the additions.

A little preview of the changes:
- Monster statuettes are being removed from veteran rewards entirely. These will be moved into crafting, with some changes to make them more fun to have.

- The ethy mounts and dye tubs from the old system will remain untouched.

- The robes and cloaks will also be removed from the vet rewards. Like the statuettes, they will also be moved into crafting & updated at a later date.

- You will be able to preview all of the veteran rewards on the menu. This way you will be able to see what cool stuff is waiting for you in future years; you'll also be able to plan your points spending according to what you wish to purchase.

- You will only be able to purchase each item one time, except for the new dye tubs. The new dye tubs will have limited uses, so you'll be able to purchase each type of new tub several times if you so choose.

- Point values are higher for the newer rewards. Rewards for 1 year and under, as well as the 2-year polar bear mount will all still require 1 point to purchase, however all the new additions will require more than 1 point. Point costs for the new items will start at 2 points, all the way up to the most expensive item (the 15-year mount) at 12 points.

Overall, I've added 7 brand-new mounts plus numerous titles, statues, banners & dye tubs. You'll unlock something new every year, and I've made additions all the way up to the 15-year mark.

A note about the types of rewards added:
While the poll results regarding types of veteran rewards that were most wanted showed a strong desire for stat items, in the end I decided to exclude them. My reasoning was this: any stat items we add to the veteran rewards menu will eventually (and possibly even quite soon) become obsolete and completely undesirable. The same thing that happened to the vet reward robes/cloaks would happen to any stat item I added to this update.

We have a lot of very big changes on the books for gear, for combat, and for crafting, and most of those changes are still being discussed/decided on. On top of that, Elysium and Touria are being developed with the express intention of providing numerous upgrades to players' gear options. With all of those things up in the air, we simply have no way of knowing what stat-based items would be viable for the vet rewards system long-term. It was one of my top priorities as part of this update to ensure that the new additions would keep their value and desirability long-term. That wasn't possible in the case of stat-based items, so in the end I excluded them.

Fret not, though, there will be hundreds* of new artifacts and gear options available as part of the facets and crafting updates.
* not an exaggeration

In the end, I believe that this update will be a very positive, exciting one. I think that it'll put a stop to indefinitely hoarding veteran reward points, because it will be worth spending your points on these new selections as your account ages. I can't wait until it's released so you guys can see all the neat stuff for yourselves. :) And I really can't wait to see Cygnus running around with his 10-year mount and titles!
:lool: :dance

- +N
Sethra Lavode
Grandmaster Scribe

Re: Veteram Rewards: Status Update

Post by Sethra Lavode »

WOW!!! This all sounds wonderful - tyvm!

Cygnus...OMG, yes! hahaha!! :dance
Starfish & coffee, maple syrup & jam. Butterscotch clouds & a tangerine, side order of ham.
Yoda
Legendary Scribe

Re: Veteram Rewards: Status Update

Post by Yoda »

wonderful job nyx.

I can see the level of depth to the thought processes that went into this .. and its truely great
Guildmaster: JDI - Est 2011
lestatzero
Legendary Scribe

Re: Veteran Rewards: Status Update

Post by lestatzero »

Very nice to hear. Thanks for all of the hard work
Adrycks
Legendary Scribe

Post by Adrycks »

Looking forward to this..might stay a little longer..:))) nah..kidding..you know i'm not going anywhere :)))
In-game name: Drakis.
Octavius Thorn
Elder Scribe

Post by Octavius Thorn »

Exciting news, cant wait to see it all!
Cygnus
Legendary Scribe

Post by Cygnus »

And I really can't wait to see Cygnus running around with his 10-year mount and titles!
Neither can I!!!!!!!!!! :woot:

:dance This Staff is awesome! :dance
Gaara
Legendary Scribe

Post by Gaara »

Can't wait to get my sphynx mount :wink:
patrix
Elder Scribe

Post by patrix »

This is very exciting, ty +'s for working this through
Michi
Michiko in game

A woman without a man is like a fish without a bicycle..
Irina Dunn
Alibaster
Legendary Scribe

Post by Alibaster »

I'm still less then 3 months old but news like this just solidifies that I made the right decision to join this shard. Thanks so much for your hard work and dedication.
Alibaster in game!!
Melkor
Legendary Scribe

Post by Melkor »

Wow! Can't hardly wait!

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!
TDC Guild
Pek
Elder Scribe

Post by Pek »

Awesome. Thank you so much for the time and effort you guys put into making this shard great.
Ecthelion - Drizzt - Gandalf Greyhame
Golden Temptress
Elysium Beta Tester

Post by Golden Temptress »

Awesome :goodsuprise:

*Does a little dance of much happiness* look foward to seeing the new items :dance
Adrycks
Legendary Scribe

Post by Adrycks »

For once i'm happy to be old..:))))
In-game name: Drakis.
Poicca
Apprentice Scribe

Post by Poicca »

very good thank you :goodsuprise: