Touria FAQ

+Veritas
Administrator

Touria FAQ

Post by +Veritas »

Alright, let me post this with an answer to the most likely first question...When.

Naturally, my last update was a majorly inaccurate estimate for the following reasons:

-Revamping facet mechanics
-Changing how XML objects interact with each other

To even get a facet going with rules of survival that are vastly different from the other facets, you need to make sure everything is up and running correctly before even building quest areas and towns/villages. There was a test that was run to see the lag generated in Touria, and it was sizable. Because of this, Colibri made an entirely new way that XML spawners and dialogs can target each other. Rather than search the entire facet for what that object affects, they can now target specific items and mobs. Major cut down on lag, as it no longer searches every single thing in the facet for the target. Bad side, I had to do a ton of rewriting of things.

I am still working on the first area of Touria, and I am done with the first two major quest lines, and am mostly done with the other two minor lines. I also need to add the numerous other side quests that players can find if they explore and encounter the NPC that gives it, or find the item that grants access.

I am mostly done with the mobs, and they will be fun. Most mobs have some type of special action they use when they are engaged in combat. Some may get damage boosts, other may get armor boosts. Some spawn minions to aid them in battle, and others may debuff the player. There are also some that switch weapon types randomly and based on what the player currently has equipped.

Mechanics as of now:

-Mobs can now cast debuffs (clumsy, weaken, etc...)

-No instant log-off while out in the open. You will need to be in an inn within a town, or you will need to utilize camping.

-No mounts allowed inside dungeons

-No resurrection via spells or skills allowed (Exception: Sacrifice resurrection). The method by which one is resurrected is by finding a special object within the facet that is located all over the map, and having your ghost moved to a previously tied location within the facet and resurrected. Depending on where you tie, and it's strategic location, resurrection may cost some gold. Death within a dungeon works a bit differently, as there will be a system of special items that may port you to the beginning of the dungeon or a mid-way point (depending on where you die). Corpse decay time will be increased greatly, and a system for informing players where their last death occurred will be implemented.

-Prompt System: Depending on what quest you are on, or your progression throughout the story lines, prompts will appear to help players with their next steps in completing a quest.

-Helping NPCs: There will be various ways to "hire" friendly mobs to help with battles that would ordinarily overwhelm you

-Guiding NPC: The main story line of the facet includes an introduction to a character that will help you with various parts of quests. This character will be able to give hints to what you must do with some quests that are difficult.

-Mobs rummaging through corpses will be completely disabled.

-There will be static mob spawns, and there will be groups that randomly reassign to another location within their spawn area. You may not encounter the same Umbris hunting party in the same location as you did last time. This will help keep encounters fresh as well as counter against camping.

-Randomized hunting mobs will be encountered while in Touria. Some will randomly come out and pursue from several tiles away, and some may only come for you when you are doing a specific task of carrying a specific object.

Many new weapons and armor. Some will be comparable to the artifacts that are dropped in other facets, while others will be completely different in what they provide the wearer or wielder...and by different, I don't mean a difference in weapon stats.

Go ahead and ask any questions you have!

+V
-{Excelsior Shard Administrator, and Death Event Extraordinaire}-

May the BODs be ever in your favor!
Annachie
Elysium Beta Tester

Re: Touria FAQ

Post by Annachie »

Lets start with a few simple/stupid ones.

Bank Access?

Will a bag of sending work?

Recall out?

Can houses in the towns be rented by players?
How about by a guild?

pets in dungeons?

Will mounts in dungeons be blocked or will you be kicked out if you mount up? (If pets are allowed in dungeons it's possible to accidentally mount one, being kicked out if you mount is exploitable)

One for +N as well, will you be taking the opportunity to rearrange the dungeons? ie: What actual dungeon map a dungeon entrance leads too, or where in the dungeon it leads too?

PvP areas?

Are the lost lands included? (or is that what +M is doing? :D )
Character name: Ebony
Iltar
Elder Scribe

Post by Iltar »

This all sounds great and challenging.
So I have a question:
Will quests and the major quest lines be repeatable (like peerless mobs or with some longer timer), or give an account bound reward?
Those who never die, do not live. (in Ultima Online)
Isaac Newton
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Isaac Newton »

Hmm...since +V is building this, the questions that come to mind are...

How fast will I die?
Where will I die?
How will I die?
Are there wandering healers?
Will they kill me after they rez me?
or will they just laugh at my ghost?
Isaac Newton

What sad times are these when passing ruffians can say ‘Ni’ at will to old ladies.
Annachie
Elysium Beta Tester

Post by Annachie »

Will there be an age restriction to get in?

Or perhaps a S'gail or Umbra camp quest to get in?
Character name: Ebony
Golden Temptress
Elysium Beta Tester

Post by Golden Temptress »

Isaac Newton wrote:Hmm...since +V is building this, the questions that come to mind are...

How fast will I die?
Where will I die?
How will I die?

:lool: this made me laugh
Alex
Legendary Scribe

Post by Alex »

will there be any sort of diminished healing?
+Veritas
Administrator

Post by +Veritas »

Annachie wrote:Lets start with a few simple/stupid ones.

Bank Access?

Will a bag of sending work?

Recall out?

Can houses in the towns be rented by players?
How about by a guild?

pets in dungeons?

Will mounts in dungeons be blocked or will you be kicked out if you mount up? (If pets are allowed in dungeons it's possible to accidentally mount one, being kicked out if you mount is exploitable)

One for +N as well, will you be taking the opportunity to rearrange the dungeons? ie: What actual dungeon map a dungeon entrance leads too, or where in the dungeon it leads too?

PvP areas?

Are the lost lands included? (or is that what +M is doing? :D )

You will have access to your bank.

Yes, if +C can get a specific thing to work, you will be able to use a bag of sending. There are going to be some recovery quests where you need to get somewhere safe and not die to keep the item as they will be deleted upon death.

No recalling out. There will be one entrance/exit within the facet, as that plays to the overall story of the facet. However, there will be alternative methods of transportation in Touria.

No housing or renting in this facet.

Pets...I am okay with them right now. However, there may be some mobs that will deal more damage to pets, have higher resists to pets, and may even completely ignore pets and go straight for you.

Mounts...Yeah you're right. I will need to take steps to make sure no mounts are allowed in dungeons and safeguard players from scenarios where they are accidentally moved out or targeted by systems. For mounts specifically, I would do something that does a targeted dismount and potentially a brief freeze.

The facet map is based on the Felucca map, but the dungeon locations and layouts will be different. I made that a goal to have the fewest number of original locations be what they were originally supposed to be, and even made some dungeons progress differently (level wise). There may be some dungeons that have parts from two or three dungeons you would see in Felucca.

PvP...I am actually very interested in this. As I just said, Felucca is the map I have been building on, and I have a pretty good idea of how I want the flow of the facet to be. However, right now I am not sure what I am going to do with The Lost Lands. Here is this completely other landmass thats part of the facet, but I can't think of a way to make it just become a part of the facet story overall. So, I was thinking about making that into a voluntary isolated PvP area where players go in stripped down, are given some base stats, and have to run around and gather/loot. Kinda sorta like The Hunger games events, but more along the lines of a reflection/honoring of a game like DayZ. There would be safe zones within the area, but not many. There would likely be some kind of isolation of chat between people in there and people who are not. Players would have to come in with the understanding that it is a PvP area where players could team up if they wanted to. However there would be ways to get away from people. It's mostly ideas beiing thrown around in my head, but I think a wide open even footing PvP area would be a fun addition...if people can approach it for what it would be and drama from it would be kept at a minimum.

+Veritas
Administrator

Post by +Veritas »

Iltar wrote:This all sounds great and challenging.
So I have a question:
Will quests and the major quest lines be repeatable (like peerless mobs or with some longer timer), or give an account bound reward?

Yes, they will be repeatable. However, depending on the reward from completing the quest and quest lines...there will be a cool down for re-attempting them. My focus is to make the majority of the good items and rewards become earned from effort and dedication rather than from watching the calendar.

Some things will be account bound, but not everything.

+Veritas
Administrator

Post by +Veritas »

Isaac Newton wrote:Hmm...since +V is building this, the questions that come to mind are...

How fast will I die?
Where will I die?
How will I die?

Lol!

Yes, everywhere, and of dysentery. So, encounters will be difficult the more mobs you are encountering. So, running through everything you meet will likely lead to your death. Right now, there are few things with fire breath in the facet and if I introduce more I will first make something work that will NOT include insta-death fire breathing. I don't want mobs that are like that in Touria. I want it hard, but fair. Challenging, but doable with care and tactics...most likely team work in some cases.

No wandering healers, but there will be a great number of common objects that port your dead self to a previously tied location, and will resurrect you. You will have more time to find your corpse and I intend to implement systems that inform players of their last corpse location. Also, there will be no rummaging of corpses by mobs in this facet.

There will likely be some taunting from the Umbris. =)

+Veritas
Administrator

Post by +Veritas »

Annachie wrote:Will there be an age restriction to get in?

Or perhaps a S'gail or Umbra camp quest to get in?

Yes, but I am not sure what I will set it at. This will be a difficult facet in comparison to most other places, and the last thing I want is a newer player to make his/her way in and lose a bunch of stuff and then complain about it, and leave. I also don't want to punish players who have gained a great deal of ground from grinding their character for a few months and are ready to tackle the most difficult tasks that many people who have been here for a year or more still find challenging. So, this is still something I need to think more about. I may introduce a poll when I am closer to closed testing of the facet.

I am thinking S'gail and Umbris Camp will be linked to how you can enter Touria.

+Veritas
Administrator

Post by +Veritas »

Alex wrote:will there be any sort of diminished healing?
Originally, yes that was the idea. However...after further discussion I am leaning away from that as a viable method of making the place more challenging.

The thought of having healing lose a small percentage of overall effectiveness with each rapid successive heal, like each healing after the first within a 20-30 seconds window would bring back a -2% benefit, may be a route to take. However, not leaning in that direction right now. I am mostly interested in never seeing people run around and gather a ton of mobs and whirlwind them to death with no real danger, I am pretty much expecting death at that point.

I am still going to have mobs with mortal strike, and some mobs will be able to cast spells like curse and clumsy. The favorite Umbris Juggernaut will still be around and with his new special ability. I have some mobs with physical and magic reflect, and I am planning on making some that "steal". By steal, I mean take small amounts of specific things out of your pack as you fight them (gold, bandages, etc...), nothing major but mostly annoying. Not sure if I will make them run away once they steal the item(s) or stick around and continue fighting. They will drop what they stole. I am also considering the removal of the Consecrate Weapon spell, as it eliminates the need for even paying attention to mob resistances. I want fire based mobs to be extremely weak to cold and very resistant to fire, only makes sense...

But to answer your question, that is not currently in my plan for this facet.

+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

Annachie if you'll repost your question for me in my FAQ thread I'll answer it over there :)
Alex
Legendary Scribe

Post by Alex »

ok. thanks
Harbertown
Adept Scribe

Post by Harbertown »

+Veritas wrote:
Alex wrote:will there be any sort of diminished healing?
Originally, yes that was the idea. However...after further discussion I am leaning away from that as a viable method of making the place more challenging.

The thought of having healing lose a small percentage of overall effectiveness with each rapid successive heal, like each healing after the first within a 20-30 seconds window would bring back a -2% benefit, may be a route to take. However, not leaning in that direction right now. I am mostly interested in never seeing people run around and gather a ton of mobs and whirlwind them to death with no real danger, I am pretty much expecting death at that point.

I am still going to have mobs with mortal strike, and some mobs will be able to cast spells like curse and clumsy. The favorite Umbris Juggernaut will still be around and with his new special ability. I have some mobs with physical and magic reflect, and I am planning on making some that "steal". By steal, I mean take small amounts of specific things out of your pack as you fight them (gold, bandages, etc...), nothing major but mostly annoying. Not sure if I will make them run away once they steal the item(s) or stick around and continue fighting. They will drop what they stole. I am also considering the removal of the Consecrate Weapon spell, as it eliminates the need for even paying attention to mob resistances. I want fire based mobs to be extremely weak to cold and very resistant to fire, only makes sense...

But to answer your question, that is not currently in my plan for this facet.
This facet sounds brilliant. I really like what I am hearing! I will only give a few thoughts about what I have read. I really like how you don't want groups of mobs pulled together and WW'd down, that is great! What if you gave them a pack instinct effect if a certain number of them are gathered in that way? Or maybe you already have since you said you see death if we do that lol.

OK the stealing, it sounds fun, but what about people who have all the loot go in a bag of holding? Will they be able to steal from a bag inside a backpack? I carry 50k+ bandages, so it would not be very annoying if he stole a few. So maybe they could do some other annoying stuff besides stealing? I just don't want to be left out of being annoyed because I have a bag of holding LOL ... Also, after they stole, what if they insta hid as if they had 120 hiding, then you had to find them with reveal or detect hidden! That would be hilarious imo.

The idea of taking out Consecrate Weapon is a tough one for sure! It is only my idea though, that no matter what you do, most people wont pay much attention to the resist anyway. I mean, at least right now, I doubt most people even have a weapon that does cold damage. The only thing that does cold is hit area cold right? I think most people have a weapon with lightning, fireball, harm, or magic arrow ... some obviously have Area hit also, but probably not one for each resist. I personally like the idea of stuff being harder, WITHOUT one hitting me, so I would be fine with taking it out, or if possible, just changing the way it works in Touria?