Elysium FAQ

DBD DEADLY 7
Novice Scribe

Re: Elysium FAQ

Post by DBD DEADLY 7 »

today we have been debating BC vs other relayers will the arties be more balanced in the new lands or will this debate continue just in another form
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

DBD DEADLY 7 wrote:today we have been debating BC vs other relayers will the arties be more balanced in the new lands or will this debate continue just in another form

Balance is a tricky thing for artifacts, particularly since folks here tend to decide what's best for them, then they go around shouting from the rooftops that their way is the best way. Folks less in-the-know, end up listening and getting the same, they tell their buddies about this Most Perfect of Ways, and then in a year or two you've got a shard full of cookiecutter copycats all fully believing that this is the only way to go, when it's not really any better or worse than other options. So, the idea is to provide a wide range of artifacts that will compete with or improve upon existing artifacts, but I can't say what'll happen from there. Likely one or two of these will be labeled the new Most Perfect of Ways, and we'll end up with the same problem of everyone jockeying for the same items. I do have some ideas on how to thwart this, but they're not perfect or complete, so I'll likely need to implement numerous things that'll help and encourage folks to do things differently rather than just copy some other dude.

For example, I'll have some artifacts with the same stats, same layer, but very different appearances (and different names, different methods of achieving them). Artifacts that are better than what's currently widely available would likely be things you'd have to get via non-repeatable quests, having high faction, and other methods that ensure the player earned this item for themselves and put work into it.
Tattersail
Master Scribe

Post by Tattersail »

I seem to recall you mentioning at some point (maybe in chat? Maybe in my dreams) that you would be finding new/expanding on old ways to use ointments...Is that in regards to this expansion and if so, can you clue us in a bit on your plans..?
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

Tattersail wrote:I seem to recall you mentioning at some point (maybe in chat? Maybe in my dreams) that you would be finding new/expanding on old ways to use ointments...Is that in regards to this expansion and if so, can you clue us in a bit on your plans..?

I intend to add more uses for ointments in elysium, yep. I'll be adding more options that will hopefully make bio pets a hot item again, and I plan to tie ointments into that process (in addition to organics). There will be other uses, as well, but I'm keeping those under my hat for now :)
Gaara
Legendary Scribe

Post by Gaara »

+Nyx wrote: hopefully make bio pets a hot item again, and I plan to tie ointments into that process
Ooh cool :nod:
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

Bump- AcidBern and I will be doing subsequent radio interviews regarding Elysium. If you have questions, post them here and we'll try to include them in a future interview :)
Harbertown
Adept Scribe

Post by Harbertown »

First, I need to say, I love this server. The Admins, GM's Etc are excellent. They have always been great to me and very fair! I have screwed up a few times and I was always treated nicely and fairly. Thank you for everything and all your hard work.

NOW, I have some questions, or maybe just one I suppose about the new area!

I just heard that, unless I am wrong, that "Vets", basically meaning people with many relayers will not be able to enter this new faucet. All this sounds like to me is people being punished for doing something the shard lets us do in the first place. You made this new place, it is awesome, amazing, and oh wait, you can't go in because your gear is too good! :|

If this is true, then it is really upsetting. I can understand farming, camping, and not wanting buffed players taking over everything, but then again, how is that any of the players fault? They are only playing with gear that was allowed in the first place.

I then heard, oh well, you might be able to go in if you ask. OK, so people have been here supporting this server, most for FAR longer than me, but we need to ASK to take part in a new faucet? I am sure NOBODY will scream favoritism over this if it is true.

Like I said, I "heard" this, and the radio interview was very bad quality, and it was hard to hear everything. Please don't take anything I write here as disrespectful. I am just concerned about it, and the fairness of everything involved. Thank you!
patrix
Elder Scribe

Post by patrix »

hey Harb, they are 'facets' not 'faucets' :nod:
Michi the Pedant
Michiko in game

A woman without a man is like a fish without a bicycle..
Irina Dunn
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

Harbertown wrote:First, I need to say, I love this server. The Admins, GM's Etc are excellent. They have always been great to me and very fair! I have screwed up a few times and I was always treated nicely and fairly. Thank you for everything and all your hard work.

NOW, I have some questions, or maybe just one I suppose about the new area!

I just heard that, unless I am wrong, that "Vets", basically meaning people with many relayers will not be able to enter this new faucet. All this sounds like to me is people being punished for doing something the shard lets us do in the first place. You made this new place, it is awesome, amazing, and oh wait, you can't go in because your gear is too good! :|

If this is true, then it is really upsetting. I can understand farming, camping, and not wanting buffed players taking over everything, but then again, how is that any of the players fault? They are only playing with gear that was allowed in the first place.

I then heard, oh well, you might be able to go in if you ask. OK, so people have been here supporting this server, most for FAR longer than me, but we need to ASK to take part in a new faucet? I am sure NOBODY will scream favoritism over this if it is true.

Like I said, I "heard" this, and the radio interview was very bad quality, and it was hard to hear everything. Please don't take anything I write here as disrespectful. I am just concerned about it, and the fairness of everything involved. Thank you!

Hiya, I'm not sure where you "heard" that, but sounds like probably somebody was being a bit of a troll trying to get you/others riled up. That's why I made the FAQ and this thread, and do the interviews - to help cut down on all the misinformation :)

I actually mostly answered this on the FAQ awhile back: http://uoex.net/wiki/Elysium_FAQ#Q:_Who ... _I_need.3F, clarified further in this thread: http://uoex.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=60224#p60224

If you still have questions regarding access to the facet after checking those, let me know what specifically was unclear :)
allendown
Journeyman Scribe

Post by allendown »

I'm skinwalker on line, and after reading what has been said about Elysium, I have this nagging feeling, I missed out on Midvale by coming along and joining ex too early, and now as I have been on the shard so long and working to build my strength and relayers, and specializing in bios, I will be too advanced for Elysium. My only hope is to wait for tourista or what ever its called, am I right in feeling left out in all the new codes. if I am, well stuff happens. I still like Ex even better than old UO and create my own world with my imaginations. If you see a purple and green wolf running between champs, its me feeling the wind in my fur and willing to race anyone on a horse.

-edited for language, +R
Melkor
Legendary Scribe

Post by Melkor »

Hi SW, if I remember correctly the Save the Reindeer Christmas quest is deemed to be "mid range" difficulty. And that quest area is much more difficult than 95% of the shard. I expect Elysium will therefore provide way more of a challenge compared to what we are used to. Not to mention the tons of new gear, clothes, items, mounts and new graphic monsters to play around with. I suspect you will be quite thankful for your relaxers when you get there. Also, +Nyx is more social than +V, I wouldn't mistake that for thinking Touria is far behind Elysium. Since +V is opening his area in sections, and from some of the posts from him, it wouldn't surprise me if it opens before Elysium. Also, I guarantee Touria will give you more than enough of a challenge. Don't fret, tons of fun from both facets await us all.

Disclaimer, this is just my opinion and suspicions on things.
TDC Guild
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

Melkor wrote:Hi SW, if I remember correctly the Save the Reindeer Christmas quest is deemed to be "mid range" difficulty. And that quest area is much more difficult than 95% of the shard. I expect Elysium will therefore provide way more of a challenge compared to what we are used to. Not to mention the tons of new gear, clothes, items, mounts and new graphic monsters to play around with. I suspect you will be quite thankful for your relaxers when you get there. Also, +Nyx is more social than +V, I wouldn't mistake that for thinking Touria is far behind Elysium. Since +V is opening his area in sections, and from some of the posts from him, it wouldn't surprise me if it opens before Elysium. Also, I guarantee Touria will give you more than enough of a challenge. Don't fret, tons of fun from both facets await us all.

Disclaimer, this is just my opinion and suspicions on things.

You're right about the fact that Elysium will (hopefully) provide much more of a challenge compared to what y'all vets do nowadays (farming gold, champs, peerless). I don't intend to make every mob hit for 150hp, but I do intend for everything to be different enough that it won't just be a matter of running things on rails.

You're also right that I am more active on the shard and more social in that activity than +V, and that Touria won't be behind Elysium. Touria area 1 is very likely to open in the next few months, whereas Elysium cannot even be developed much further on my part until +C finishes the coding list. I am at a standstill with much of the development process until then, whereas +V has most everything he needs already. We planned it that way on purpose, because we wanted the vets to have their new area first. Up until Touria, the vets will basically have had the least amount of content designed for and opened to them, thus +V, +C and I agreed very early on that Touria should take precedence in terms of what +C would code and in what order. Because of that, most of +V's coding requests were given priority over mine, and completed some time ago.

So, guys, just because I am more active in talking to y'all and doing PR for Elysium, don't take that to mean Touria isn't in the works.

Also, let's please keep this thread on topic. If you have concerns, please address those to me in a page, at the next Q&A, etc. This thread is specifically for questions about Elysium that have not already been answered by the FAQ. Generalized fears/complaints aren't productive to the conversation in this thread.
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

Also, I've significantly updated the FAQ page regarding veteran access to Elysium. There is still just far too much misinformation being bandied about on this topic.

http://uoex.net/wiki/Elysium_FAQ#Player ... .26_Access
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

If you have questions about Elysium, please submit them either in this thread, or in game (list all your questions in a blue book and place that book into the dropbox located inside my Moonglow office, west of the bank). You can submit multiple books to the dropbox, but please submit only one forum post with all of your questions in it. I will be doing another radio interview sometime soonish, as well as updating the Elysium FAQ wiki page, so it will be helpful to have lots of questions to answer :)