AFK rules

We try to put in new spawn areas, quests, events, items and scripts. This is where you submit your wish.
Iltar
Elder Scribe

AFK rules

Post by Iltar »

As I learned from my experience today, if you go AFK in gautlet even for 20 mins, you will be jailed. I wasn't aware of this rule, which is my bad obviosly. If i knew that rule, I would have to stay away from gauntlet today, as circumstances of my rl is such that I have go afk for 10-20 minutes somtimes. I can understand why you can't collect arties in gauntlet AFK, but I think it would be better for some honest players, if the rule was not to AFK for longer then 40 minutes, which should be enough for most of the cases.
Perhaps Nyx was too busy because of event to discuss this matter with me today, but I want to say that if either rules were less strict (because sometimes player might need to go afk urgently), or GMs would really check for how long player is afk and did he really intend to gather arties and did kill any mobs,, this game would be easier to play for many players. Also I've read that AFK is problem in new facets, so I suggest to not make game impossible to play with AFK limitations.
Those who never die, do not live. (in Ultima Online)
+Nyx
Administrator

Re: AFK rules

Post by +Nyx »

There are rules, when you enter the gauntlet, that specify you can't go AFK inside. Further, you were unhidden, with a bio pet out, inside an active boss room. This means that if another player came in and triggered that boss, your pet would likely attack it, thus potentially earning you profit, which is against our shard AFK rules.

On top of all that, you could easily have logged out instead. Yes, your pet would've been left in-world to eventually go wild, but if your RL matter was so urgent that you couldn't spend a quick 30 seconds to walk to the safe-afk entrance area of the gauntlet with your bio pet, then the potential loss of that biopet by logging yourself out should have been an acceptable one for you.

The AFK rules are easy to avoid falling awry of, and they're pretty clearly stated in numerous places. In the future, I suggest you are more careful about where you choose to AFK and pay closer attention to the specific rules of specialized areas like the gauntlet.
Iltar
Elder Scribe

Post by Iltar »

You are right, I didn't think of just logging out, thats what I should do in future.
I did read books at gauntlet start, which i believe tell about gauntlet AFK rules, but that was a year ago and i forgot them.
In rl lacking of knowledge of law doesn't release person from obeying it or from penalty for violation. But people often don't even read thoroghly agreement for loans in rl, and this is a game, so imho it isn't realistic to require everybody to know each rule. Also there is a difference between an intended crime and an intended crime, which was commited by accident. I'm just suggesting some timeout (like 30 mins or an hour) before considering player to violate AFK rule, to see if he did it with intention of benefit. But I understand that rules are a complex topic and the problem can't be solved fully.
Those who never die, do not live. (in Ultima Online)
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

Your input is noted, but please be aware we've structured the AFK rules the way we want them with careful thought and consideration over the last several years and the staff are currently content with the way they are. We all do in fact believe that a player is fully responsible for knowing the rules of the shard and of any special areas they enter. If you choose not to read them, that is your choice, and you're still bound by those rules. Pretty much everyone caught in violation of the codex or event rules claims they didn't know, or didn't intend to break the rules - even when they did. It's not at all worth it for us to spend our time trying to determine that kind of thing. Instead, the rules just apply to everyone, regardless of their claimed intent or alleged lack of knowledge.

You received a warning, which included 2 tasks. That constitutes your "time out" as well as a heads-up on needing to be more aware of the rules.
Styx
Adept Scribe

Post by Styx »

so imho it isn't realistic to require everybody to know each rule.
The rules are pretty straight forward and in most cases a rule of thumb can be applied to cover them. aka don't go afk near monster spawns. You either risk dying or afk 'hunting', neither being beneficial. If you can't spend the 5 minutes it takes to read through the rule list don't be upset when you unknowingly break a rule.
Also there is a difference between an intended crime and an intended crime, which was commited by accident
Someone maliciously breaking the rules could use that line also, Staff can't choose who they do and don't believe.

Finally the idea of a 'timeout' is a silly suggestion, In that case i could afk hunt for 25 minutes to an hour, check the screen, no pop-up's or checks? afk farm for another 25 to an hour!

The system works fine, you broke a rule, I doubt it will happen again if it was an accident and that's what's important.
In game name : Poulton (or Voot for you vets)
Pariah
Legendary Scribe

Post by Pariah »

+Nyx wrote:spend a quick 30 seconds to walk to the safe-afk entrance area of the gauntlet
One thing to note here as this may help future players. The safe area referred to here is the "hidden room" off to the side of Gauntlet 1. You should NOT simply move up away from the spawn at the top of the entrance room (where the portals are) and assume you will be safe. Someone can essentially kite mobs up to you, then accuse you of AFK spawn killing. That may sound crazy, but it has happened to me, and, under the strict definition of AFK, I was breaking the rules. So, I simply asked for clarification, took it as a lesson learned (since I was actually in violation of the rules) and went along with my day after my minimal tasks (warning level of jail tasks). Staff was responsive, professional, and I might even say helpful in discussing with me (as helpful as one can be when dealing with a rule breaker). As a result, my second PSA would be, before jumping on the powers that be for your mistreatment, just try and be tactful and mature in handling the situation. If you do so, I'm confident you will get the same in return.
Fiernocht
Legendary Scribe

Post by Fiernocht »

Oh no, the staff here are terrible. horrible. they always abuse the players and what not... bwahahaah sorry i cant keep a straight face. If you are professional and polite with the staff they will be with you as well
“No tree, it is said, can grow to heaven unless its roots reach down to hell.”
― C.G. Jung
Tredin
Elder Scribe

Post by Tredin »

doublepost
Last edited by Tredin on Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tredin
Elder Scribe

Post by Tredin »

Yeah, just be honest and professional yourself and they are usually cool about things. Completely unrelated but once upon a time I stole the 30 day raffle item and +Nyx rewarded me with ED and a groovy T-shirt for turning myself in. :nod: