Bonsai Seeds

We try to put in new spawn areas, quests, events, items and scripts. This is where you submit your wish.
Ishamael
Elder Scribe

Re: Bonsai Seeds

Post by Ishamael »

It worked that last time, thank you. :)
Berry
Novice Scribe

Post by Berry »

Catti-brie wrote:To activate the quest, say "hail" to Landen, who is in a hut outside Moonglow
thanks Catti-brie and guys, i've finally received a quest book ! :)
walter
Master Scribe

Post by walter »

I just wanted to add in this conversation, that you need to be fully patched (up to patch 4B) to be able to see the preservation box.

When I was doing this quest someone was not able to see the preservation box - the person was using patch 4a and this was the root cause.
In game name: Walter
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

Ah, that's not actually accurate. The box is a Tokuno armoire graphic so it greatly predates the patch. If you're not patched, it'll just look black (because the hue can't load). Also the items you receive from the box are patch graphics so you won't see those.
Viirin
Adept Scribe

Post by Viirin »

Love the quest, +Nyx! Thank you for it. On page 1, I had thought after your response to my last post that it wasn't doable, so I thought the idea was a dead end and ignored the thread- then when the quest came out, I thought it was unrelated. My bad?

And I looked around stratics to find the right tutorial, but I didn't see it. I'll look again in a few minutes (nope, no full calculator). It was initially a glitch- when hops first came out, you could collect pollen from them, though you weren't supposed to be able to. Whoever made them forgot to disable it, and count all hops seeds as mutants. Some people kept those pollen producers (you know OSI, they make new items instead of editing previous ones so depending on WHEN a certain item was created, depends on lots of things about it. Like Giant Beetles used to have way less strength, or unicorns used to be carnivores).

Anyway, someone used the pollen from a hops plant on a normal plant- they never said what the normal plant was. But they did. Instead of producing hops, it produced bonsai. But it produced pollen, too. A whole new set of plants appeared! Everyone loved it so much, that it became official.
Continuing to experiment, if bonsai pollen was put onto a normal plant, then it produced something even better- a third set of possible plants- the Peculiars.

The tribarrel peculiar was also called 'flowery tribarrel' by the players, and the poppies produced were called 'peculiar poppies'. Peculiar poppies were given a resource that they'd grow after a few patches, called 'poppy dust'. Vanilla was added later, and produced 'vanilla' as a resource. You can't grow Cocoa trees- you have to loot them.

Vanilla and Cocoa were part of the chocolatering cooking (candy decreases your hunger level so you aren't full and can eat something else for a food benefit, like an Enchanted Apple (lift curse, cure paralyze) or Grapes of Wrath (temporary damage increase which can go over cap + strength bonus).

Poppy Dust was used to identify seeds before OSI came out with their own seed box much, much later.

Anyway, below is the calculator that... man that computer I had with the actual spreadsheet I made with the help of like 50 people is gone, and I have a very bad memory, so I'll just do this:
The below has to do with plant set (normal = plants you can already grow anyway, bonsai refers to bonsai gained from this set- not stuff that drops from Tokuno things as those are all mutants, and peculiar is its own set)

Normal + Normal = Normal
Normal + Hops = Bonsai
Bonsai + Bonsai = Bonsai
Bonsai + Normal = Peculiar
Bonsai + Hops = Peculiar
Peculiar + Normal = Peculiar
Peculiar + Peculiar = Peculiar

Peculiar, as you can see, is the 'error' plant list. With the bonsai list, that was the most fun once everything else was discovered (peculiars were HUGE fun, and LOTS more people started growing just to see what would happen). Still are. Most true bonsai (just came up with that for monster drop mutant seeds) have two colors available, so you never knew what kind of bonsai a plain bonsai might produce. But they were also available in every color Normal plants might be.
Peculiars could be plain, or any color Normal plants might be. As you see, any cross-group pollination produces the Peculiars; though a full set of them can usually only be gained by doing each cross... or keeping crossbreeding inside its own grouping.

Oh, right. Is there a way to do something with the Preserved Plants? I don't want to have dumped 16 plants and gotten 2 clones of a useless item. Maybe also edit the drop-box so you can't put those in there anymore since the preserved box doesn't spawn anymore?

OHH just thought of something else, too. Okay, since I um... didn't... pay attention... and you came out with this quest, and the colors available aren't the ones other plants do exactly and because you only have 6 new hues using Naturalist as a default, why not have 6 other colors become available by using quest bonsai pollen? Here's what I'm thinking, more articulately (I like lists):

Dean Crossbreeds: Violet, Peach, Mint, Lime, Sherbet, Taupe
Landen Crossbreeds: Dust, (5 others)

I mean, there are SO MANY color combination additions because of Naturalist pollen:

Red+Magenta
Red+Aqua
Red+Pink
Red+Blaze (Rare Fire Red)

That's just RED. I know we can come up with WAY more quests, enough to make it so that every color combination is successful to a 3-seed increased difficulty plant.
Last edited by Viirin on Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

Correct, cross-breeding bonsais isn't doable for the shard. However, providing you with seeds to grow new colors of bonsais which did not exist previously was easy, thus the quest. They won't be crossable once you grow them, they'll just grow into the plant as displayed in Landen's house.
Viirin
Adept Scribe

Post by Viirin »

Oops :) I got ahead of myself and didn't know you were on, and edited previous post.