Suggestion for sudden server re-starts and such

We try to put in new spawn areas, quests, events, items and scripts. This is where you submit your wish.
Shindaril
Grandmaster Scribe

Suggestion for sudden server re-starts and such

Post by Shindaril »

Well, after today's sarcastic replies in game, I'll just let this thing to be and ask someone with the permissions to remove this topic from the forums. In any way, were I after making my life easier in the suggestion, instead I was trying to give a little tip to help the newer players to notice what happens - And with my apologies for using the time from the great people running this wonderful shard, I'll only ask you to spend another minute to remove this topic as I cannot seem to do it myself anymore.

Thank you.
Last edited by Shindaril on Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
+Nyx
Administrator

Re: Suggestion for sudden server re-starts and such

Post by +Nyx »

I'm not sure how or why this would be useful, considering it was not a sudden restart at all - +C announced several times, beginning 15 minutes in advance of the restart as well as again right before. If someone is missing that many [c messages, which appear in a different color than the regular chat, they're not likely to notice an overhead message, either. Most of our restarts are this way, usually with even longer heads-up beforehand. If it IS sudden, then that's a crash and the overhead-message wouldn't be able to be triggered, anyway. :)
Shindaril
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Shindaril »

Thank you for your fast reply, +Nyx.

It's true that +Colibri did announce it several times during the eight and a half minute period before the re-start. However, those death cries I saw were from new players to whom this was probably the first re-start they've seen. This suggestion came from the knowledge how the journal can indeed be flooded with in game messages such as bandages being applied and such, while an over head message would appear in more visible area of the player's screen and stay there for a longer period of time in that case. I'm also aware that it would be only a few line addition, perhaps to the re-start command script, so it would also be easy and very fast to add into the scripts already present on the server.

After all, I was only thinking about a fast and easy method of making it more apparent to the players with only minor changes needed to help making sure that most of the players would see the announcements about server re-start and I'm well aware of the fact that it takes a lot more than a suggestion to actually make things happen, but after all, it does rely on the suggestion to be made in the first place. This is only a quick suggestion and naturally, you're the ones to make the decision.

-Shindaril
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

Yep, I understand what you're saying. But +C began announcing 15 minutes (not 8.5) ahead of time. Any new player who is so new they don't understand what the [c messages meant, isn't really going to understand/notice a message above their character's head. Heck, we frequently end up with players (old and new) falling afoul of the AFK rules because they "didn't notice" the spam going above their character's head every 2 seconds for an entire minute, :lol:

My main point is that I don't think it would really help anyone who is so oblivious as to miss every single [c message (those show up in-window, as well as in the journal, mind you) in advance of a reboot, they're just not going to be paying enough attention to see your suggested alert, either. Further, pets are shrunk as part of a reboot to protect new players from accidental loss, and the corpse timers start upon reboot, it's not ticking away while the reboot is happening. Anybody at their keys when a reboot happens, who somehow missed every alert ahead of time and died right as the server rebooted, will have plenty of time for a corpse run/to get to the corpse summoning stone once the server is back. There is almost never a page or complaint after a server reboot from a young player who lost their corpse/pets/had problems because of it.

We already go out of our way to make server reboots as painless as possible for everyone, and there just comes a point where so much is done to help the least common denominator that it becomes a bit silly for everyone else. That's my opinion on the matter, but perhaps +C will feel it worth his time to add.
lestatzero
Legendary Scribe

Post by lestatzero »

I have never in my over 3 years on this shard had or seen an issue with a server restart. . The only way you are going to miss messages about the server restarting is if you turn chat off.... then you won't see the [C messages ... that are displayed ... And i am sure Restart is announced as a Broadcast by +Colibri so you will still see it even with the [c system turned off ... ... As +Nyx said as well all Staff speech is a different Hue than everyone else to make sure it is noticed as a message coming from staff.

You also have portal that all of those messages are displayed on as well... Though Staff messages are not Hued differently on the Portal site so they can be a bit harder to notice....

and u have easyuo scripts to help with chat too.
http://www.uoex.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=2539

All in all I don't Think it would be worth the effort to add in a Overhead message to every player when the server is about to restart ... Has not been needed for as long as the shard has been around ... And I don't see why it would be needed now ... I would just say Pay a little more attention to the game when you play and use the tools already around to assist.

Lestat