New Player Help Wiki Page

Moderator: Wiki Scribes

Arientuir
Apprentice Scribe

New Player Help Wiki Page

Post by Arientuir »

I would like to suggest a few things for the New Player Wiki pages and starting pages. I am doing this because I have found a large number of new players are asking a lot of the same questions over and over. While most of them could easily be resolved if the new players simple read more of the wiki pages. I have a few thoughts on how to simply (and in some cases - complicate) the amount the new/young player should read.

This will be a multiple part posting so that I could allow other (more so, more experienced players) to comment.
Arientuir
Apprentice Scribe

Re: New Player Help Wiki Page

Post by Arientuir »

I would like to start by suggesting we directly link new players to the 'New Players Guide' from the www.uoex.net front page. It would assist people if they have a more direct link to work from at the start.

The new player page right fully directs the new player to the codex (rules). It is noted that in the codex it does not mention politics, although I have seen it referenced that real world politics is not looked kindly on. (I wish I remembered by whom.) If this is in fact the case, I would hope it would be added to the codex.

Additionally, request that a kid friendly statement be added to the codex under 2.a. While I do not believe this is a must, it might help re-enforce the rules on cuss and slurs.
Arientuir
Apprentice Scribe

Post by Arientuir »

On the New Player Wiki page, under this paragraph I would suggest adding:

Finally, head back through the Exteleporter and go to the Minoc Moongate. Somewhere on your screen should be a red keyring - grab it! It's a spellcaster's keys, and it will store your reagents as well as some other items - all without adding weight to your inventory! (If having trouble finding the spell caster keys, try pressing CTRL-SHIFT as you move around the Minoc Moongate. Do not hold CTRL SHIFT as you move around.) Check this section of the main wiki for more information about this and other items like it.
Arientuir
Apprentice Scribe

Post by Arientuir »

Under the Training Room section, I would suggest a screen shoot and arrow pointing the new players to the Newbie Dungeon portal. Thus leading the new player to the Newbie Dungeon section right below it. (This might eat up space on the wiki so I can understand if you think it is over kill.)
Arientuir
Apprentice Scribe

Post by Arientuir »

Under the Newbie Dungeon section, I would suggest the following or similar wording for this section:

Further Weapons Training

You can continue weapons training in the newbie dungeon. Take the training dirks from the training room and attack reapers south of Joe's house. They'll stand still for you and won't fight back. You can train weapons skill to 90 or so on reapers. Tactics and Anatomy to 100. You can continue to utilize the training 'weapons' daggers from the Training Room on the reapers in this area. This will allow the reapers to live longer and for you to gain more.
Arientuir
Apprentice Scribe

Post by Arientuir »

Under Excelsior Exchange, please add the command [exex (which they could have found under the link but would assist).
Arientuir
Apprentice Scribe

Post by Arientuir »

Add a First Death Section,

Your First Death, it is your first death and you are confused. Go back to Britian and return to the Ahnk or find a healer in the wild.

If you have blessed pets you need to reclaim and gear you need to reclaim. You can ghost run to the Newbie Champion spawn outer safe area and use the pet claim, pet resurrection, corpse claim stones for free as long as you still have your young status. This is not a simple or quick as since you have to run to a world teleporter and run to Felucca then to the Newbie Champion Spawn. But it can be done, if you do not delay.

Or something similar.
Wil
Legendary Scribe

Post by Wil »

Arientuir wrote:Under the Training Room section, I would suggest a screen shoot and arrow pointing the new players to the Newbie Dungeon portal. Thus leading the new player to the Newbie Dungeon section right below it. (This might eat up space on the wiki so I can understand if you think it is over kill.)
Howdy,

I have started a training room stub page here:

http://www.uoex.net/wiki/Training_Room

I'll update it further and link it in to the related pages as I have time this week.

Regards,
Wil