(-) stackable potions

leehovan
Master Scribe

(-) stackable potions

Post by leehovan »

hi i was wonder if potions can be made to be stackable just like empty bottles and dirty bottles.

it will be very nice and will make our inventory neater and look more well-organise.

Another benefit is, when selling the potions to the npc, we don't have to sell them one by one. we can sell them in a stack like empty bottles.

then the next person who want to buy reagents don't have to scroll down the long list of sold potions in order to find the reagents they want from the alchemist npc.

I know there is a reagent vending machine available, but still some might just want to buy some instead of a bulk of 1000.
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

I would make this change if it was either easy to do or something more commonly used. Not many people use potions since we have so many much more powerful methods of empowerment.

The biggest problem is that UO Client treats potions as non-stackable. So just setting the thing to be stackable server-side doesn't do the trick. If you have for example a stack of 100 potions, you wouldnt be able to take out 50 of them. And who knows what all changes would have to be made in the scripts, it could make me hang on bug fixes for the next month... Since it wouldn't make a big breakthru in how much better the game would be, I won't be changing this.

I suggest using potion kegs, in combination with bottles, which you can carry around with no weight in your backpack.
+Colibri, Administrator of UO Excelsior Shard

Don't know what the purpose of your life is? Well then make something up! ;)
(Old Colibrian proverb)
ticketguru
Grandmaster Scribe

Re: (-) stackable potions

Post by ticketguru »

Coli, I had play on several other shards before playing here and on all the others, the potions were stackable. Was that an update in v6 client then? I agree that it is not worth the effort to make potions stackable if it would entail having to get the client updates [impossible given the limited time resources you have to give to the shard], and also the fact the potions in general just aren't used as much here because of the unlimited skill cap so gm healing and magery is easy.

What would be nice however for the alchemist is a slightly wider repertoire. Some added potions he could create that don't just duplicate existing spell-like abilities. Like how about a luck potion that would temporarily increase luck by 200 or a speed potion that would grant a temporary increase to SSI. Some of these new potions could use some of the currently unused spawn items like luminescent fungi or parasitic plants and make those things actually desirable on the shard.
+Colibri
Administrator

Re: (-) stackable potions

Post by +Colibri »

Indeed, nice ideas about the potions.

I intend to upgrade the server core to support clients up to 6.0.3... and we'll probably scrap the current client and make a new one (but to include the custom items and mounts we already have). If that fixes potion stacking, then great.
+Colibri, Administrator of UO Excelsior Shard

Don't know what the purpose of your life is? Well then make something up! ;)
(Old Colibrian proverb)