Poisoning Buff

Harbertown
Adept Scribe

Poisoning Buff

Post by Harbertown »

Please make Poisoning Skill do what it says online at http://www.uoguide.com/Poisoning

higher levels of this skill improve the effectiveness of the Poison and Poison Field spells

I think it would be fun and, well isn't it supposed to work like that anyway? I know this obviously is not that UO, but still seems reasonable and just seems to make sense to me that it would work like this.
Harbertown
Adept Scribe

Re: Poisoning Buff

Post by Harbertown »

Seriously? Just discarded without any response? :displeased: I did searches and found a few other post about this. They didn't have any real answers either. Even a response like it might happen in the future, but no plans for it right now are planned would be something, but to just discard it feels very disrespectful :? Why should anyone care to even post here with actions like that?
Arcon
Expert Scribe

Post by Arcon »

I think that you are a little impatient ; it took many days, one time, for a post like yours to get an answer (the right staff member isn't always available) ; you are right that it is not Uo vanilla ; many things are different ; uoguide isn't for here ; good luck and enjoy the shard
aka Necropoloid
Harbertown
Adept Scribe

Post by Harbertown »

Arcon wrote:I think that you are a little impatient ; I saw once a post like yours takes 2 days before an answer ; you are right that it is not Uo vanilla ; many things are different ; uoguide isn't for here ; good luck and enjoy the shard

Hmm, not to be rude to you, but you calling me impatient does not fit this scenario or matter in the least. When something has been discarded then there is nothing to be patient or impatient about because we are not waiting for anything anymore. My feeling is not impatience, but possibly annoyance at the lack of reply or any little attention to a post where we are asked to post suggestions or features we would like added. So then to have a suggestion just put into a discard section without any explanation is annoying to me.

Now, do I or have I annoyed people, sure, we all have. Did whomever moved my post do it to disrespect me? No, I honestly don't think that. I said it feels disrespectful, which it does. I can't help how something makes me feel obviously. I just like explanations. I searched for poison and did not look at the dates, but only if something was similar to what I wanted to ask. If someone posted something like you said a day or two ago then please post a link so I can see it. I will also look and see if I can find it.
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

Harbertown wrote:Seriously? Just discarded without any response? :displeased: I did searches and found a few other post about this. They didn't have any real answers either. Even a response like it might happen in the future, but no plans for it right now are planned would be something, but to just discard it feels very disrespectful :? Why should anyone care to even post here with actions like that?
Harbertown wrote:
Arcon wrote:I think that you are a little impatient ; I saw once a post like yours takes 2 days before an answer ; you are right that it is not Uo vanilla ; many things are different ; uoguide isn't for here ; good luck and enjoy the shard

Hmm, not to be rude to you, but you calling me impatient does not fit this scenario or matter in the least. When something has been discarded then there is nothing to be patient or impatient about because we are not waiting for anything anymore. My feeling is not impatience, but possibly annoyance at the lack of reply or any little attention to a post where we are asked to post suggestions or features we would like added. So then to have a suggestion just put into a discard section without any explanation is annoying to me.

Now, do I or have I annoyed people, sure, we all have. Did whomever moved my post do it to disrespect me? No, I honestly don't think that. I said it feels disrespectful, which it does. I can't help how something makes me feel obviously. I just like explanations. I searched for poison and did not look at the dates, but only if something was similar to what I wanted to ask. If someone posted something like you said a day or two ago then please post a link so I can see it. I will also look and see if I can find it.
Just so you are aware - you posted this thread in Discarded. We did not move it. Next time please be more aware of what you're doing, rather than get snippy and melodramatic toward the staff about it.
+Requiem
Legendary Scribe

Post by +Requiem »

For what it's worth, the feature development section of the forums has been closed for quite a while.
+Colibri wrote:Due to the large volume of requests and nobody to realize them, we currently don't see any point in getting new feature requests.

As we already have a ton on our plates, please don't add more :worried:

Many of the submitted ideas are great, but since I'm currently the only coder on here, and basically have my hands full with the urgent bugs already, it will be some time till we get all of this processed (either approved or denied) and have some of it scripted.

by +Colibri on Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:02 pm
http://uoex.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1341

We do like suggestions, but there are other priorities at the moment. The biggest 2 are the new facets, treasure hunting update, and bug squashing. Once those are out of the way we will have more time for other stuff.
Arcon
Expert Scribe

Post by Arcon »

sorry, but I didn't want to imply that you were rude... and you got my first draft for an answer before I edited it ; I fight for my English and I don't win often :) like I said- it took many days for answer to come ... not your particular request but for some coding changes... kindly yours !!!

*takes notes : do not reply in the forums...*
aka Necropoloid
Harbertown
Adept Scribe

Post by Harbertown »

Ah, well, if I actually did post this in the discarded section then I apologize. It makes no sense though. I was reading suggestions, and then I would have had to click on discarded and then new topic. I would think I would remember doing that. Oh well, either way, my apologies!

Thanks +R for the excellent response, answering my questions even if the initial fault was mine.

Thanks +N for calling me snippy and melodramatic, always a pleasure.
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

I checked the moderator logs, there was no evidence of your post being moved.
Harbertown
Adept Scribe

Post by Harbertown »

Oh NO, I believe you, I would never think you guys would lie to us about anything. I just said it made no sense to me :D I appreciate you taking your time to even look though, thank you! :nod:
+Mocha
Expert Scribe

Post by +Mocha »

I literally cant even here.

There are times people make errors and that is OK, totally OK to screw things up here and there.
You will find we are pretty darn forgiving of oopsies.
There are many things that are OK, for instance, messing up and admitting your error after it has been pointed out is great.
Staff who take the time to double check and make sure no one moved a post is also pretty cool. I mean maybe there was a possibly that one of us moved it so double checking is a great thing.

Do you know whats not good? Passive aggressive behavior . That is just not cool.

Maybe you are not being passive aggressive and maybe you are, either way that is how it is coming across to me.

How a person words their thoughts is important, you convey a message both with words and in the manner in which the words are used.

For instance, I find it amusing when a non English native speaker says something unintentionally naughty .
It is not amusing when it is done by someone who knows exactly what the words can convey.

Emoji use and accent these words, in both a positive and negative way. Despite it being the same emoji.
Intended or not, how a person perceives another is important here, and I am a patient person and try above all else to be fair but I am not amused here.
Harbertown
Adept Scribe

Post by Harbertown »

+Mocha wrote:I literally cant even here.

There are times people make errors and that is OK, totally OK to screw things up here and there.
You will find we are pretty darn forgiving of oopsies.
There are many things that are OK, for instance, messing up and admitting your error after it has been pointed out is great.
Staff who take the time to double check and make sure no one moved a post is also pretty cool. I mean maybe there was a possibly that one of us moved it so double checking is a great thing.

Do you know whats not good? Passive aggressive behavior . That is just not cool.

Maybe you are not being passive aggressive and maybe you are, either way that is how it is coming across to me.

How a person words their thoughts is important, you convey a message both with words and in the manner in which the words are used.

For instance, I find it amusing when a non English native speaker says something unintentionally naughty .
It is not amusing when it is done by someone who knows exactly what the words can convey.

Emoji use and accent these words, in both a positive and negative way. Despite it being the same emoji.
Intended or not, how a person perceives another is important here, and I am a patient person and try above all else to be fair but I am not amused here.

In all honestly, I don't even know what you are talking about. The only thing I can maybe grasp is my sarcasm? I am VERY sarcastic, and even when I type I do it. That is one reason why forums, and even texting can be very annoying, because we don't know really what the other person means by just seeing the words. I am a playful person as well, so I always, at least in my mind, think that any banter back and forth is ALWAYS in good fun. I respect the staff, and even if I don't know them, think of them as friends. I think to say any of this has been passive aggressive seems extreme though? I have not seen any Anger, or hostility? If that is your view then I do apologize again.

PS: My wife and I went to dinner and we talked about passive aggressive behavior and I also did some light reading on the subject. I know what it is, but I wanted to read more about how my sarcasm could be a passive aggressive response or how sarcasm can be viewed in that manner. I never thought about it in this way before.

I first want to thank you +M for giving me the Benefit of the doubt and saying I may or may not be acting passive aggressive, but that is how it is coming off to you. This is very important and it was what I was also saying. It is difficult to tell or know what someone means in written text most of the time.

I know and have always known that sarcasm is my defense mechanism, but I never mean to hurt someone with my words written or otherwise. I am the kind of person who laughs at a funeral because that is how I express my pain and/sadness. I am the class clown because I am afraid to possibly show myself truly.

In saying this, we all obviously don't really know each other or we wouldn't have these communication problems. We would each learn our traits, and how we communicate etc. just like if my wife types something to me over Skype and I can instantly know what she means, and the mood of her words. We sadly, especially in our online only community do not have that luxury with most of the people.

I just want all of you (+R, +M, +C, +N did I miss someone?) That in my eyes we are friend, and that is how I have perceived our relationship since I started here. Please just consider this if and when I might make you think otherwise. You have helped me since I started here and that means more than you know. I love our interaction, the events you all throw, and just little things you do like helping to place my plots or joining them. All of that is appreciated and remembered.

I don't mean to ramble on, but it is just important to me to make sure you all know my feelings especially after this disaster of a post I made. Thank you!
+Mocha
Expert Scribe

Post by +Mocha »

You are correct in the fact that unless you know someone quite well catching an inflection with the written word is difficult.
I do appreciate your openness on the subject, the difference between sarcasm and being passive aggressive is a very fine line but were sarcasm is usually witty and done in a playful manner , passive aggressive behavior while it can be malicious or more often than not an just a bit mean or rude. However without knowing a person it isn't really possible to know which is being used when written.

Hence careful wording with the written word.

I know several people use sarcasm as a defensive tactic and while some are absolutely lovely people , in writing they come across quite badly.

Thank you for responding in such a clear manner. In the future as people get to know you better there will be less confusion.
Since I am also a playful person, I have to remember not to inject to much into my writing because quite frankly, almost no one would understand.

BTW you forgot +V ;)

It is our hope and purpose here to create a fun, happy environment for everyone, so to clear up any misunderstandings is always a great thing.
So once again thank you for replying in an open manner.

+M
+Requiem
Legendary Scribe

Post by +Requiem »

Harbertown wrote: In all honestly, I don't even know what you are talking about. The only thing I can maybe grasp is my sarcasm? I am VERY sarcastic, and even when I type I do it. That is one reason why forums, and even texting can be very annoying, because we don't know really what the other person means by just seeing the words. I am a playful person as well, so I always, at least in my mind, think that any banter back and forth is ALWAYS in good fun. I respect the staff, and even if I don't know them, think of them as friends. I think to say any of this has been passive aggressive seems extreme though? I have not seen any Anger, or hostility? If that is your view then I do apologize again.

PS: My wife and I went to dinner and we talked about passive aggressive behavior and I also did some light reading on the subject. I know what it is, but I wanted to read more about how my sarcasm could be a passive aggressive response or how sarcasm can be viewed in that manner. I never thought about it in this way before.

I first want to thank you +M for giving me the Benefit of the doubt and saying I may or may not be acting passive aggressive, but that is how it is coming off to you. This is very important and it was what I was also saying. It is difficult to tell or know what someone means in written text most of the time.

I know and have always known that sarcasm is my defense mechanism, but I never mean to hurt someone with my words written or otherwise. I am the kind of person who laughs at a funeral because that is how I express my pain and/sadness. I am the class clown because I am afraid to possibly show myself truly.

In saying this, we all obviously don't really know each other or we wouldn't have these communication problems. We would each learn our traits, and how we communicate etc. just like if my wife types something to me over Skype and I can instantly know what she means, and the mood of her words. We sadly, especially in our online only community do not have that luxury with most of the people.

I just want all of you (+R, +M, +C, +N did I miss someone?) That in my eyes we are friend, and that is how I have perceived our relationship since I started here. Please just consider this if and when I might make you think otherwise. You have helped me since I started here and that means more than you know. I love our interaction, the events you all throw, and just little things you do like helping to place my plots or joining them. All of that is appreciated and remembered.

I don't mean to ramble on, but it is just important to me to make sure you all know my feelings especially after this disaster of a post I made. Thank you!

I think another part of the perceived? issue here is that you think of us as friends. While not a bad thing, we are also in an authority position, rather than a friendship position. In this, we are not your peers, even if we are friendly with you. I hope this makes sense.

I would love to be friends with everyone, but what happens, is then people start getting emotional, or hurt when they do something, and ultimately need to be punished. I'm not going to "go easy" on you because we were joking about something 3 hours previously.

Now that you are aware of it, just keep it in mind for the future please.
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

To clarify, when you assumed your post had been moved without reply, you could simply have sent a page in-game to ask one of us if it had been moved, and what the status was. Instead, you reacted as if we had ignored you, and made remarks like this:
Harbertown wrote:Why should anyone care to even post here with actions like that?
Which is melodramatic for the circumstances - melodramatic being defined as "exaggerated, sensationalized or overemotional". Meaning the response and the tone of said response was disproportionate to the situation. Your response to Arcon read as snippy - sharp and irritated - because you were, in essence, overreacting to what you assumed had happened. I remarked upon it because I have found it's generally better to point out this kind of thing to players when it happens, so they are aware they came across that way, rather than the staff being irritated about it and the player having no idea they've done so.

Now, your reply of:
Harbertown wrote: Thanks +N for calling me snippy and melodramatic, always a pleasure.
Came off very sarcastic and again snippy. If you were genuinely offended, then this was a very passive aggressive way to respond, and instead you could easily have approached me in game or via email to work it out. If you were saying it to be playful, well. We don't know each other at all, and I am in a position of authority here, so making a snarky statement - even if you meant it as a playful jest - is a risk that you take. It'd be similar to making a sarcastic, snarky remark to a cop who'd pulled you over. Maybe they will find it funny, or maybe they're just going to be pissed and you get a really nasty ticket instead of being let go. In that scenario, you probably never see that cop again, and he forgets all about you. Here, though, we all see and deal with the active players daily. So, making a bad impression like that tends to stick.

Anyway, it's not the end of the world, or anything but I wanted to explain that. A lot of folks wonder why they do not have a more friendly rapport with the staff, and in most cases it's because of things like that. The assumption of a receptive audience isn't generally a wise choice when you don't know the other people involved at all, particularly if they're in a position that they may have to punish you for something.

Like +M said, a lot of us are very sarcastic and silly and playful people, in fact I think nearly every staff member is. But we have to wear our staffer hats, too, so that means there's a line that has to be drawn and respected by us, and by y'all. We don't mind letting y'all see our playful, silly, sarcastic sides, but we're careful to only playfully pick on players who we know well enough to gauge their sense of humor.

Moral of the story, when approaching a potentially sensitive or difficult situation with the staff, proceed with a calm demeanor and politeness and you'll get the same from us. :dance