Chat restrictions 2

Vote on the shard-related matters and/or give your arguments.

Which things should be included in the time restrictions from the first poll?

Poll ended at Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:13 pm

want to buy/sell items
41%
guild recruitments
37%
champion spawns
8%
song lyrics
12%
other (please list in a comment)
1%

Total votes: 145

+Requiem
Legendary Scribe

Chat restrictions 2

Post by +Requiem »

This second poll is to get your input on which things should be included in the time restrictions from the first poll. Again, If you have an opinion, you are free to express yourself as long as you can do so politely, with respect for your fellow players, and with no flaming.

This is just to get an idea of what you all feel and may or may not be implemented now or in the future.
If the rules do actually change, there will be an announcement, and Excelsior Daily posting about it.
Annachie
Elysium Beta Tester

Re: Chat restrictions 2

Post by Annachie »

I'll add champ spawn announcements here and things like player run events, or GM run events :) , which should be on a less restrictive announcement limit. ie: every 6th red candle for champs, every 5 or 10 minutes for events.
Eos
Master Scribe

Post by Eos »

Song lyrics? *sad face*

None of these things bother me. I wish to politely stand in their defense.

All these subjects are color of the community voice. They are like the midis that play when we enter towns, or the sound of horses kicking on when we pass them by.

I love our guild announcements, I love that we boldly declare ourselves worthy any friend!
I love our shop sales, it's like knights holding up the heads of the mighty foes they've slain!
I love our champ notices, it's like an urgent request! My friends call for my aid!

And our songs? Sweet serenades! Fun jiggies! We share the best ones!

Please don't discourage people from speaking in world chat with a bunch of rules about what they can or can't say. It shouldn't be quiet church-mice in there! Some people are rather shy and not very personally expressive - but still wish to participate out loud. So, they stick to these subjects to seem useful in content when they do speak. Perhaps they're new and do not understand our flow yet, or, perhaps they're simply naughty and a good friend can straighten it out.

As long as someone isn't assaulting, bashing, cussing, you know being outright violently rude and disparaging? Then I really don't see who has the right to punish another person over the particulars of their subjects and frequency. Repetition itself should be the problem addressed, alone; which subjects are most likely to be repeated is irrelevant to it. Making rules just about these subjects does not address the problem of repetition itself, which is a problem we can address ourselves by either enlightening the abuser or putting them on ignore...
MasterRing
Apprentice Scribe

Post by MasterRing »

Very well said. I completely agree.
Godsmith
Apprentice Scribe

Post by Godsmith »

*Other* Again i say allow it all or remove chat ;)
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

Currently the champ spawns and other such chat and social type messages aren't really supposed to be held as firmly to the chat rules as advertisements, and that's how I'd prefer to see it remain. Most folks don't appreciate seeing the same ads spamming by too often, and most don't mind a few announcements for the same champ. No reason to fiddle with the rest of chat except on a case by case basis such as when we've got a drunkard or an emo attention grabber causing chat to be irritating for our regular users.
Godsmith
Apprentice Scribe

Post by Godsmith »

I still feel it should be less than an hour per.... unless its a script or a macro like was pointed out in another thread where its the same thing every time and u can tell its as much as they can smash into it..

but if its a newer player trying to get help at newbie champ or another champ, (and i'm also getting sick of people saying check the wiki, if someone asks for help.. help them.. if u don't know the answer than don't answer and say check the wiki)...

Set up trade chat or and Auction type EXEX for everything and u will have less spam
paulus
Elder Scribe

Post by paulus »

[quote="Godsmith"]

Set up trade chat or and Auction type EXEX for everything and u will have less spam[/quote]

My old server had a [barter chat
Everyone was subscribed in automatically

You could turn it off.. but.. you could advertise what you want , when you want (Maximum 4 times per hour) ... and world chat was advertisement free..

would love to see a seperate chat.. so those 4-5 people who don't like seeing announcements can opt out.. and let the rest of us advertise and chat about trade/.
beanerman
Master Scribe

Post by beanerman »

well its my opinion that having restiriction on chat is bogus yes people do abuse it but since we dont have another channel for selling items that no one want to add to their vendor, also i use chat to sell items and i hate that we can only do it once an hour. People log on every so often and sometimes done see it.
Muolke
Legendary Scribe

Post by Muolke »

I would love to see either EXEX expanded to include ANY item, and/or include a sell/auction channel where someone can click their item and it gets posted for sale and any player can buy it on the spot. I think it was Santiago years ago that had a similar system.

As far as the champ spawns, I was given a "warning" for announcing a champ spawn 3 times in a 75 minute window (so really 2 in a 1 hour timeframe) and it was for 2 different champ spawns.

So when I read...

"Currently the champ spawns and other such chat and social type messages aren't really supposed to be held as firmly to the chat rules as advertisements, and that's how I'd prefer to see it remain. Most folks don't appreciate seeing the same ads spamming by too often, and most don't mind a few announcements for the same champ."

...it makes me wonder why I was given a warning to begin with and told i'd be put in chat jail if I did it again. If you're going to have rules then apply them equally to ALL players. I'm glad that at least the admins are recognizing that the "1 hour rule" is a cause for concern and has opened discussion on it.
+Requiem
Legendary Scribe

Post by +Requiem »

I gave you a warning. As I do other players. Actually, you got 2 warnings.

Also, it was *my* idea to get player's input on the chat rules.
Allynne
Journeyman Scribe

Post by Allynne »

I don't have a big problem with champ announcements (within reason). Announcing every 30 seconds for 15 minutes is excessive. 2-3 times at several minute intervals, not so much.

I don't have a big problem with song lyrics as long as it is brief and doesn't go on (and on, and on) as they are usually people trying to interact and be social, which is what I think world chat is supposed to be about.

I like the ad restrictions just as they are. Often enough to advertise (and people can use Portal to look back if they miss your name or the items on your list), but not so often that world chat is a rolling billboard. I think of guild recruitment much like ads. Once an hour should be plenty of ad time imo.
Kara
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Kara »

I voted that all announcements be restricted. Announcing isn't talking. Yes, even for champ spawns. They're not that rare. And if someone is desperately in need of help with one, well, there're always PMs.

I suppose the only exception I feel is acceptable is if one needs a rez, corpse timer is about to run out, and there isn't an ankh near. (And they're all out of self-rezzes.)
+Requiem
Legendary Scribe

Post by +Requiem »

I put this in the other 2 posts as well, that some people seem to forget about, or not know about portal.uoex.net. It has all the chat logs you'd ever want from world chat. Before you log in, or when you get back to your computer, open your web browser and point it to portal.uoex.net and take a look at the last 10-15 lines of chat. That will catch you up pretty quick on the goings on.