Chat restrictions 1

Vote on the shard-related matters and/or give your arguments.

How often should world chat messages be allowed to be repeated?

Poll ended at Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:09 pm

1 (once) per 60 minutes (1 per hour)
49%
1 (once) per 30 minutes (2 per hour)
27%
1 (once) per 15 minutes (4 per hour)
11%
other (please explain in the comments)
13%

Total votes: 71

dreamstalker
Legendary Scribe

Re: Chat restrictions 1

Post by dreamstalker »

i voted other also.. ads should stay as they are but champs and player events should be allowed more often. if anyone shows up at a champ then its goin to be done in prolly 15 mins or less so after first initial chat "spam" i doubt if it would last long.
+Requiem
Legendary Scribe

Post by +Requiem »

ambivalence wrote:other:

1. champ spawn/group formation should be omitted from restrictions to encourage group play & inclusiveness
2. general chat should not be policed by GM's with better things to tend to

why:

1. it's extremely frustrating running to multiple champ locations to see piles of gold on the ground and upon asking why it wasn't announced in world chat only to be answered with "can't announce more than 1 in 60 mins". that rule, in my opinion, discourages people from including non-guildies, randoms, pugs, etc and promotes an environment of selfish play & exclusivity.

2. the general population already polices world chat. just last night there was a dude that was trolling & tryin to skirt the 'no-cussing' rules by using "@" and he was QUICKLY pounced upon by multiple people. the players were less tolerant than the GM's on at that moment. the shard appears to be mature enough to auto-regulate itself and if someone's being bad there will surely be pages. on a side note, i don't mind seeing a random line of song lyrics or "take-it-to-pm" type convos in world chat, it adds personality and flavour to the shard and the names & it's easy to see (and report) obvious trolls & obvious spam. to illustrate, i think "♪ all i want for xmas is my 2 front teeth ♪" adds more personality to the shard than ".....LAVA shop...." (no offense)

seems like yall're creating more work for yourselves. but i'm noob

1) I'd like to also point out something, that many seem to be forgetting, or omitting, or maybe don't know about. Using your account credentials, log into portal.uoex.net. (You can view it even without logging in). It has all the chat logs you might have missed. A good habit, might be to check that, just before logging in, so you can see what's up/going on.

2) While players can ignore people, or discourage certain behaviors, they can't really stop that behavior in its tracks. We have young children that play here, and if someone is cussing up a storm, its great that players want to help, but they have no way of actually doing anything about it. As a GM, I have the ability to chat ban them, so they just can't type in world chat anymore, or if serious enough, jail them. In order to keep order, it is necessary for us to monitor, and regulate world chat.
Mystic
Journeyman Scribe

Post by Mystic »

+Requiem, I think what people are saying is that champs don't even get called out because the player has previously called a different champ within that hour. The way the champ timer seems to go, at least in off-peak, is there is often a run of champs in a row, so you'd easily get more than one going in the hour. Personally, I would consider calling a second champ out as a separate announcement but can see that some people do not. It seems that you even warned someone about doing exactly that, as per the post by Muolke in the Chat Restrictions 2 discussion?

So having Portal open (which I always do, btw) doesn't really solve the problem.
+Requiem
Legendary Scribe

Post by +Requiem »

From my personal experience, if you are at one champion with other people, those same people want to and are willing to do other champs in a row. I guess my point is that, it could be taken to PMs, or even local chat, or someone else could announce the 2nd champion being up. It doesn't always have to be the same person. I would not cite anybody if Player1 called champ 1, Player2 called champ 2, Player3 called champ 3. I probably would say something if all 3 called the same champion. See the difference?

Also with portal, if you know one champion is up currently, or was recently, its not difficult to check for others, since like you said, they often do spawn in a row. Then, since you haven't announced anything yourself, you could call it out once you verified it.
lestatzero
Legendary Scribe

Post by lestatzero »

[quote="Mystic"]+Requiem, I think what people are saying is that champs don't even get called out because the player has previously called a different champ within that hour. The way the champ timer seems to go, at least in off-peak, is there is often a run of champs in a row, so you'd easily get more than one going in the hour. Personally, I would consider calling a second champ out as a separate announcement but can see that some people do not. It seems that you even warned someone about doing exactly that, as per the post by Muolke in the Chat Restrictions 2 discussion?

So having Portal open (which I always do, btw) doesn't really solve the problem.[/quote]

Easy solution... If you are just logging on and you don't see any messages re: champs You can ask in [C Anyone know if any champs are up ... Someone can reply to you directly via pm or I would assume they can respond back to your quesiton at that point of ... " Fire is up if you want to join me " or something like that ... I am not sure if that would be considered an advertisement or just a polite response to your question... Staff would have to respond to that part .. but I personally would think that it would not be counted....
And If no one responds to you ... then ... go check yourself if you really want to do a champ...

The only thing if anything that I would like to see updated is the "Auto Scroll on new message as a option to turn off on portal so that it doesn't just jump down to the bottom if you are reading thorugh the days chat history....

So the once a hour is more than enough ...... I truly think that because we have portal that Once a day on some things (like guild advertising and shop / item selling advertising should be limited to once a day... Portal is a Tool... I am sure that because everything is logged into a database that +Coli if he really wanted to could even make a ingame version with a gump to look at the history if he wished to ... ..

Lestat
jess
Passer by

Post by jess »

i think that once every 60 min is ok. but i do like the idea of the shops being on own channle too. but i think we all need to lighten up. we are all here to have fun not nit pick every thing i just like to have fun and do so every day and i hardly notice the ads anymore lol love this shard we all seem to get along, for the most part lol
Muolke
Legendary Scribe

Post by Muolke »

[quote="Mystic"]+Requiem, I think what people are saying is that champs don't even get called out because the player has previously called a different champ within that hour. The way the champ timer seems to go, at least in off-peak, is there is often a run of champs in a row, so you'd easily get more than one going in the hour. Personally, I would consider calling a second champ out as a separate announcement but can see that some people do not. It seems that you even warned someone about doing exactly that, as per the post by Muolke in the Chat Restrictions 2 discussion?

So having Portal open (which I always do, btw) doesn't really solve the problem.[/quote]

Yes, that's exactly what happened Mystic. It seems as some of the Mods are talking out of both sides of their mouth here.

Here's the message from +R:

July 7th wrote:
+Requiem to Muolke: I warned you yesterday as politely as I could, you are allowed 1 (one) announcement/advertisement per 60 minutes. Again today, you advertised a champion being up at 14:03, then again at 14:30, then again at 15:11... This is unacceptable, and this is your offical warning. If it happens again, you will get chat banned, or jailed. [endquote]

Now, there's 3 announcements in a 68 minute window. Reason tells me that it's for 3 different champs. No? What champ lasts 68 minutes? Or why would I solicit a champ almost 30 minutes apart since most champs take roughly 15-25 minutes?

But here's the icing on the cake...in another post +Nyx says:

"Currently the champ spawns and other such chat and social type messages aren't really supposed to be held as firmly to the chat rules as advertisements, and that's how I'd prefer to see it remain."

So wait a second. On one hand the Mods are telling us that the 60 minute rule shouldn't be applied as firmly to champ spawns...but because I mad 3 announcements in a 68 minute window (so really only 2 in a rolling 60 minute period) I get an official warning and threatened that I could be chat banned or jailer.

Whaaaat?

I spent 2 years living in China and the actions of some of these moderators reminds me of communist China. Instead of letting the players play they get midget syndrome and try to act like the mighty rulers of the land and rule with an iron fist. Their favorites get a pass, and those that question them get the hammer. Just like in communist China.

Another example is me being chat banned for 4 hours per a message I received from +R last night because I said:

SOL = Singing Out Loud

Sounds petty doesn't it? What's even more astounding is that here we are almost 12 hours later...and i'm still chat banned.

Now, I did send +R a message saying "You're ridiculous" and to be honest...he is. But is it another rule now that if you tell a mod he's ridiculous that a chat banned for an unrelated "offense" is extended indefinitely without any notice? Shall I just refer +R as Xi Jinping? Might as well...he/she seems to rule like him.

Now of course 1 of 2 things will happen.

1. They'll come on here and delete my comment because it defies their authority.

2. They'll come back with some post about how i'm the devil and I broke the rules (see above what I did) blah blah blah just so they can inflate their ego even more.

Anyone want to take bets?

For what it's worth, heed a little advice. I work for a S&P 100 company and administer part of their social media division. If anyone on my team ran any of our social media outlets like certain Mods are running the non-existent chat issue (I say "certain" because it's not all) they'd be on the street. Rules exist to protect the entity and are applied in extreme cases for the most part. People in general like their freedom of expression and since this is something people do on their spare time and since it's a GAME they should be allowed to be silly and express themselves. That's what makes the game enjoyable. This is a fairly small shard and burning bridges because of petty chat rules isn't conductive to expanding the player base at all.

Personally, i'm already looking at what other shards have to offer because I didn't put up with the BS in communist China and I sure won't put up with it from an overbearing moderator in an online game. I know i'm not the only one considering this as well. Sure, you don't care...it's only 1 or 2 or 3 players. Not the end of the world but the trend will continue. A couple this month, a couple net month etc. Dig your own grave if you shall...
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

Muolke wrote:Another example is me being chat banned for 4 hours per a message I received from +R last night because I said:

SOL = Singing Out Loud
no, what you actually said was:

[4:27] Muolke: And if your unbonded pet dies...you're SOL?

That does not mean "singing out loud", but nice try with the fibbing, there.
Muolke wrote:But is it another rule now that if you tell a mod he's ridiculous that a chat banned for an unrelated "offense" is extended indefinitely without any notice?
Technically, being disrespectful to the staff - for any reason - earns you 50 jail tasks. If +R extended your chat ban instead, you should feel quite lucky he didn't give you the tasks. You've certainly done enough disrespect in this post alone to earn them several times over, but I will try one last attempt at leniency with you. I don't believe you deserve it or will in any way learn from it, but I think +C would prefer it if I tried.
Muolke wrote:Personally, i'm already looking at what other shards have to offer because I didn't put up with the BS in communist China and I sure won't put up with it from an overbearing moderator in an online game.
Further, here you are cussing again and trying to stir up some drama - both direct violations of the codex.

The rank of GM is one where some folks are content to stay forever, and where others stay while they learn and do all they need to in order to earn a promotion. I was not promoted from GM to Seer until I had run tons of my own custom built events, had learned how to reliably interpret the codex in a way that +C approved of, and knew darn near everything there was to know about basic XML spawners and NPCs. I didn't make Admin for well over a year after that, and not until I'd reached a very high standard of knowledge of the shard and everything involved in the day to day running of it. +R is a GM, and he is still learning. Previously he had not remembered that we were to be more lenient on champ announcements, but when the staff discussed opening these polls, he was reminded and he's done great on that front as far as I've seen. Remember - you were not jailed or chat banned for the champ-announcements incident that you keep wailing about. As for citing you for your abbreviated cursings, that is 100% appropriate to the codex and if I'd seen it I'd have cited you myself.

It is you who are the problem here, with your ridiculous - yep, ridiculous - behavior and statements. Not +R. I don't mind if you want to post to discuss your chat ban, or whatever else. You could've also taken the 100% appropriate route of sending a page in for +C to address your issue directly, or emailing him your concerns about +R. However instead you've repeatedly tried to stir stuff up on the forums and your most recent post is in direct violation of our 'no drama' rule. I'm personally tired of it, so if from here on out you refuse to address your issues in the appropriate way and continue to refuse to post politely and in a non-trollingly-inflammatory way, then you will end up in jail for those codex violations.
Muolke
Legendary Scribe

Post by Muolke »

Most rules are out for interpretation, and I see you've chosen to interpret EVERY single rule in the strictest possible way. Again, just another way to run the shard with an iron fist. Sure, it's your option to do that but you'll end up ruining the game experience. If that's what you're after then keep on it.

Oh and btw...the chat ban came AFTER I said "SOL = singing out loud". You're assuming that everyone knows every single abbreviation for every swear word out there. But using the SOL wasn't why I was chat banned, the chat ban came after I said "SOL = singing out loud". Quite petty. But go ahead keep swinging your power hammer...it might make you seem almighty here in an online gaming community, but you'll end up ruining the gaming experience for many online players who will ultimately dump EX for another shard which would be sad considering the shard itself and player community are quite good.

Btw: I'm really not concerned with the "hierarchy" on the shard of the Mods, GMs, Admins and whatever other titles there may be. I'm more concerned with how the actions of one or more of the "staff" is hindering the gameplay of player/s.
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

Muolke wrote:Most rules are out for interpretation, and I see you've chosen to interpret EVERY single rule in the strictest possible way. Again, just another way to run the shard with an iron fist. Sure, it's your option to do that but you'll end up ruining the game experience. If that's what you're after then keep on it.

Oh and btw...the chat ban came AFTER I said "SOL = singing out loud". You're assuming that everyone knows every single abbreviation for every swear word out there. But using the SOL wasn't why I was chat banned, the chat ban came after I said "SOL = singing out loud". Quite petty. But go ahead keep swinging your power hammer...it might make you seem almighty here in an online gaming community, but you'll end up ruining the gaming experience for many online players who will ultimately dump EX for another shard which would be sad considering the shard itself and player community are quite good.

Btw: I'm really not concerned with the "hierarchy" on the shard of the Mods, GMs, Admins and whatever other titles there may be. I'm more concerned with how the actions of one or more of the "staff" is hindering the gameplay of player/s.
:roll:

If I was going with the strictest possible interpretation of the rules you would be in jail with 200+ tasks already. But, I'm not, and I've been lenient on you; which you've just proven yet again is a useless endeavor when dealing with a certain type of "I'm a victim, fight the power" personality.
Muolke
Legendary Scribe

Post by Muolke »

+N

There's a difference between the "victim" mentality and what i'm doing. I'm showing you that there's a problem and that you're running an online gaming community not a detention center. The first step in solving a problem is realizing there is a problem. Open discussion is simply an avenue to bring a problem to light which also seems to be an issue since you keep reminding me about being jailed and getting 200+ tasks. It's like discussing these things out in the open isn't welcome. Everything should be done via PM where nobody can see what is going on. Transparency is something I expect from my HOA and any group i'm a part of including this shard. If everything is to remain secretive just let me know...I have no problem deleting my character immediately. No need to jail. Is that what you'd prefer?
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

Muolke wrote:+N

There's a difference between the "victim" mentality and what i'm doing. I'm showing you that there's a problem and that you're running an online gaming community not a detention center. The first step in solving a problem is realizing there is a problem. Open discussion is simply an avenue to bring a problem to light which also seems to be an issue since you keep reminding me about being jailed and getting 200+ tasks. It's like discussing these things out in the open isn't welcome. Everything should be done via PM where nobody can see what is going on. Transparency is something I expect from my HOA and any group i'm a part of including this shard. If everything is to remain secretive just let me know...I have no problem deleting my character immediately. No need to jail. Is that what you'd prefer?

There is a huge difference between open discussion and being an insulting, drama-inducing problemchild.

You have repeatedly violated our codex, heck, you've repeatedly done so in this thread today. If you want "open discussion", you should try approaching the issue with maturity and politeness rather than throwing around inflammatory statements and drama. Plenty of our other players manage to have great discussions with us, even about delicate or sensitive issues, because they don't come in comparing us to 'communist china', lying about why they got chat banned, or continually behaving in a belligerent, ignorant and generally rude manner. The fact that you seem to think that what you are doing is the same as an 'open discussion' just makes me sad for you as a person.

I'm quite sure that your fellow players - aside from one or two of your buddies or some gullible ones whom you can convince you've been victimized - don't have much sympathy for you or your cause, particularly after your posts today. You didn't follow the proper channels for handling your issue, you were disrespectful, rude, and went out of your way to be inflammatory. That doesn't endear you to most folks who play here. They'd generally rather see us be more harsh on players behaving as you are, in order to keep it from bogging down our forums and world chat, than for us to be as lenient as we have been. This shard just isn't the place for folks who behave that way, and not just because the staff don't tolerate it well, but because neither do the players.
+Veritas
Administrator

Post by +Veritas »

Muolke wrote:+N

Considering the overwhelming majority of players on this server have no idea what rock jail looks like, I am confident that this server is not a detention center. The shard wouldn't be running if it was a detention center.

You perceive a problem and that problem is affecting you, there was no need to make this a public thing unless you wanted attention from everyone else. That route never does well. It is staff that works with these things, not the general public. Unless you want the general public to chime in and cause an argument, which will happen inevitably.

Also, just because you expect transparency from your HOA doesn't mean that we now have to fit your expectations of carrying all staff to player business out int he open. It's not necessary and always turns into a flame war.

+V
-{Excelsior Shard Administrator, and Death Event Extraordinaire}-

May the BODs be ever in your favor!
Muolke
Legendary Scribe

Post by Muolke »

[quote="+Nyx"][quote="Muolke"]+N

There's a difference between the "victim" mentality and what i'm doing. I'm showing you that there's a problem and that you're running an online gaming community not a detention center. The first step in solving a problem is realizing there is a problem. Open discussion is simply an avenue to bring a problem to light which also seems to be an issue since you keep reminding me about being jailed and getting 200+ tasks. It's like discussing these things out in the open isn't welcome. Everything should be done via PM where nobody can see what is going on. Transparency is something I expect from my HOA and any group i'm a part of including this shard. If everything is to remain secretive just let me know...I have no problem deleting my character immediately. No need to jail. Is that what you'd prefer?[/quote]

There is a huge difference between open discussion and being an insulting, drama-inducing problemchild.

You have repeatedly violated our codex, heck, you've repeatedly done so in this thread [u]today[/u]. If you want "open discussion", you should try approaching the issue with maturity and politeness rather than throwing around inflammatory statements and drama. Plenty of our other players manage to have great discussions with us, even about delicate or sensitive issues, because they don't come in comparing us to 'communist china', lying about why they got chat banned, or continually behaving in a belligerent, ignorant and generally rude manner. The fact that you seem to think that what you are doing is the same as an 'open discussion' just makes me sad for you as a person.

I'm quite sure that your fellow players - aside from one or two of your buddies or some gullible ones whom you can convince you've been victimized - don't have much sympathy for you or your cause, particularly after your posts today. You didn't follow the proper channels for handling your issue, you were disrespectful, rude, and went out of your way to be inflammatory. That doesn't endear you to most folks who play here. They'd generally rather see us be more harsh on players behaving as you are, in order to keep it from bogging down our forums and world chat, than for us to be as lenient as we have been. This shard just isn't the place for folks who behave that way, and not just because the staff don't tolerate it well, but because [b]neither do the players[/b].[/quote]

+N

This isn't a popularity contest for me nor am I looking for approval from anyone (something you seem to be looking for). As a matter of fact I haven't even mentioned this whole exchange to anyone and i've been online playing this entire time. I'm an adult and have no trouble addressing an issue head on with an individual (in this case you). You might not like someone talking on the same level as you (i've seen your posts and how you love being recognized for A, B, and C). It actually reminds me of the person that was my initial trainer at my current employer. He always saw himself as a "daddy" figure and wanted all the new hires to bow down to him, probably why we didn't get along. Here we are, 10 years later and he's still a trainer and i'm here earning about 4 times what he does. I guess it's just a difference in perceived power.

I'm no victim but I couldn't help but point out the hypocrisy...heck, someone else in a previous post did as well. A simple review of how you guys operate and when you should intervene would have sufficed. What did Reagan say? Government is not the solution to our problem. Government is the problem.
+Requiem
Legendary Scribe

Post by +Requiem »

26.7. 04:27 Muolke: And if your unbonded pet dies...you're SOL?
26.7. 04:28 +Requiem: watch the language - abbreviations/omissions count as cursing.
26.7. 04:28 Muolke: SOL singing out loud...

SOL does not mean singing out loud. You know it. I know it. Just about everyone who plays here probably knows it.

I wasn't ruling with an iron fist. You broke a rule. I warned you. You chose to then break it AGAIN, right after, by repeat posting the same thing i just warned you about. This is the 2nd time, you could have gotten off with only a verbal warning, but wanted to 'push the envelope' to see how far you could push me, or the rules, or whatever you were trying to do.

It didn't work, and you're all upset over it.

I do apologize for setting your chat ban incorrectly to 4 days. It was supposed to be 4 hours, which is what I wrote down.