Chat restrictions 1

Vote on the shard-related matters and/or give your arguments.

How often should world chat messages be allowed to be repeated?

Poll ended at Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:09 pm

1 (once) per 60 minutes (1 per hour)
49%
1 (once) per 30 minutes (2 per hour)
27%
1 (once) per 15 minutes (4 per hour)
11%
other (please explain in the comments)
13%

Total votes: 71

Muolke
Legendary Scribe

Re: Chat restrictions 1

Post by Muolke »

[quote="+Veritas"][quote="Muolke"]+N

There's a difference between the "victim" mentality and what i'm doing. I'm showing you that there's a problem and that you're running an online gaming community not a detention center. The first step in solving a problem is realizing there is a problem. Open discussion is simply an avenue to bring a problem to light which also seems to be an issue since you keep reminding me about being jailed and getting 200+ tasks. It's like discussing these things out in the open isn't welcome. Everything should be done via PM where nobody can see what is going on. Transparency is something I expect from my HOA and any group i'm a part of including this shard. If everything is to remain secretive just let me know...I have no problem deleting my character immediately. No need to jail. Is that what you'd prefer?[/quote]

Considering the overwhelming majority of players on this server have no idea what rock jail looks like, I am confident that this server is not a detention center. The shard wouldn't be running if it was a detention center.

You perceive a problem and that problem is affecting you, there was no need to make this a public thing unless you wanted attention from everyone else. That route never does well. It is staff that works with these things, not the general public. Unless you want the general public to chime in and cause an argument, which will happen inevitably.

Also, just because you expect transparency from your HOA doesn't mean that we now have to fit your expectations of carrying all staff to player business out int he open. It's not necessary and always turns into a flame war.

+V[/quote]

You're right. Not all staff & player business needs to be carried out into the open but you can't shame a player for bringing his/her business out into the open. That's their choice. No?

Btw: Even though you disagree with me, I do appreciate the much more respectful tone of your post.
+Nyx
Administrator

Re: Chat restrictions 1

Post by +Nyx »

Muolke wrote:This isn't a popularity contest for me nor am I looking for approval from anyone (something you seem to be looking for). As a matter of fact I haven't even mentioned this whole exchange to anyone and i've been online playing this entire time. I'm an adult and have no trouble addressing an issue head on with an individual (in this case you). You might not like someone talking on the same level as you (i've seen your posts and how you love being recognized for A, B, and C). It actually reminds me of the person that was my initial trainer at my current employer. He always saw himself as a "daddy" figure and wanted all the new hires to bow down to him, probably why we didn't get along. Here we are, 10 years later and he's still a trainer and i'm here earning about 4 times what he does. I guess it's just a difference in perceived power.

I'm no victim but I couldn't help but point out the hypocrisy...heck, someone else in a previous post did as well. A simple review of how you guys operate and when you should intervene would have sufficed. What did Reagan say? Government is not the solution to our problem. Government is the problem.
You claim this isn't a popularity contest and then insult me in the same sentence, yet your reasoning for taking this to public channels was for 'transparency' (meaning so others could see it), you argued that we would delete your arguments (so others couldn't see it), and you've refused all this time to take your issues up with +C in email/pages (private mediums). Hmm.

Also good to note, you said how this shard is great for its playerbase - but the playerbase is built by people seeing how we run it and sticking around. Meaning that those players, are largely OK with how we - the big mean staffers you've been textually abusing all day - run this place. If they are what makes this place great, stop and think that WE are what make this place the shard that those people choose to stay on. We are constantly hearing from folks that they played on x or y other shard and it was so horrible because the staff didn't care about enforcing rules, or there weren't any staff and it was awful. The kind of people that you find to be so great here are the same kind that are going to tell us we should've jailed you long ago and/or banned you. That was my point with remarking upon your peers.

If you think 'government' is the problem, then yes by all means find a shard that is not actively staffed. Ours is, and in a way that the owner wants. You cannot seem to see that your behavior is not OK for this shard, and that it does not at all matter what your personal opinions are on how this shard is run. You gave input, it was not input that anyone on staff thought was valuable or useful for what this shard is. We explained to you why you'd been warned, then you waited a week or so and then you started posting again today, to play the victim that you were being abused by a staffer. The staffer in question has behaved according to our rules in all cases, and has even been quite lenient on you. So have I. Yet you continue to be insulting and ridiculous.

This is a video game shard, it is not a real-world country. Comparisons between what goes on in your real life and what you expect of your game experience are silly. The two have absolutely nothing to do with one another. Your expectation of similarity is your personal choice and nothing that gives any weight to an argument regarding shard matters.

Considering every staff member here is a volunteer, and in my case a volunteer who spends a large chunk of their free time doing awesome stuff for other people, yep, I do like to get some recognition. It's one of the only ways to get any satisfaction out of this 'job'. It's always really great when players take time to see the effort we go to, to provide this spectacular shard for them. The time, effort, and patience involved in dealing with problem players whose complete lack of respect for the rules takes time away from things we'd rather be doing. The creativity, knowledge, time and love involved in creating a detailed and fun event or quest. There's a whole lot that goes into staffing here, and I see absolutely nothing wrong with any staff member feeling satisfaction from that being recognized. Nor is there anything wrong with reminding someone who needs reminding. After all, it is always very easy to attack someone when you think of them as nothing but a faceless drone, it's a bit different matter when you remember they're actually a person who's doing quite a lot for no pay and very little kudos.

I don't care for people to 'bow down' as you put it, what I care about is that people who play here follow the rules, are respectful (read: polite) to the staff - because we are the authority figures here, and because we earn it by putting in the time and by doing what our 'boss' wants us to do (anyone who thinks we don't is just looking for a reason to be disrespectful because they just don't like someone, or have authority issues) - and have fun. That's the sum total of the things I care about in terms of this shard.

I am completely indifferent whether you finally start following the codex, and just play here like any other player; or whether you find a new shard; or whether I have to jail you. That's all on you, whatever you choose to do is fine with me. If I was in some need for a power rush, or whatever it is you're implying, I could easily have just jailed you right off the bat for your first post today - and I'd not only have been justified by our codex, you'd not have gotten any sympathy from +C when he eventually got involved. I'd have gotten my rocks, and you'd still be in jail (because you'd have earned it). But alas, I am just ever so power hungry, I've sat here utterly wasting my time replying to you to try and explain to you where you are going wrong, why you are being so poorly received, and what will happen if you continue. Mean ol' me.