Harder skill gains

Vote on the shard-related matters and/or give your arguments.

Would you agree on making skill gains harder?

Poll ended at Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:25 pm

No, leave as it is.
58%
Yes, I support the "just melee" change
25%
Yes, I support the "melee including magic" change
No votes
I believe that the majority of skills should be made harder
17%

Total votes: 12

+Colibri
Administrator

Harder skill gains

Post by +Colibri »

Yet another attempt of fixing what originally is a flawed concept of the game :) unfortunately there isnt an utopian society, but we can make changes to optimize gameplay. Unfortunately we didnt take much consideration at how fast the gains are when we were setting it up.

Yes, so making hard skill gains would take longer for *you* to train up, but it would increase the fun you get out of this game on *this shard*.

There's various options. We could tweak just the fighting skills (melee), another version would include magic ones. We would not tweak the crafting skills, as they are macroed anyway, it would just be how much materials you would use.

I support this motion, my decision is stuck somewhere between "just melee" and "including magic", mostly towards just melee, but it's not just our shard, it's the players who are most affected by this, therefor we have this poll.

The poll runs for 14 days.
+Colibri, Administrator of UO Excelsior Shard

Don't know what the purpose of your life is? Well then make something up! ;)
(Old Colibrian proverb)
Canto
Apprentice Scribe

Post by Canto »

Umm..whats in the water you drink? Making things harder NEVER equals more fun. Regardless of the fact that all the skills I need are 100 or better, this would STILL be a change that makes me leave the shard.

To be quite honest, there are many OSI style shards out there. If I wanted to play OSI style, I'd be playing on one of them.

I've tried the OSI style shards. I was bored after about 20 minutes. I've tried shards where you can become the uber pwnage in 20 minutes, and while they are fun, I lose interest fairly quickly.

I enjoy excelsior simply because it is a good medium. It is(was?) possible to become fairly uber with certain pets and decent crafting skills. I've played on shards where you can kill every single champ spawn solo. Its boring. Atleast here, most of the champs take more than one person to do and give a reason for people to get together.

There are STILL mobs on this shard that I cant kill solo. I enjoy that challenge. Making it harder would just make it seem more pointless.
Sighten
Novice Scribe

Post by Sighten »

Well i have litte diffrent opinion than Canto. If gain is slower then people will get bored later. I dont mean it should be twice as hard but just a little.

I cant tell anything about magery and taming as i started with 100 in both. We have taming crafting system, which i didnt use here but from other shard i know its possible to get 100 without taming 1 animal (jewelery trick). I didnt try any crafting yet so i cant tell about it.

Good idea was making possible in training room to get only till 75. Things that can be macroed w/o any attention and which are easy to macro (ss, peace making and few others) are ok. But maybe we should make it harder at 100-120 ?

(little offtopic)
I played few other mmorpgs such as wow, runescape (do not try this one :P) and few betas. In all of them i just LOVED huge number of people making something similar to champs or huge pvp war. Sadly its not possible on private shards cause simply there is not that many people. IMO we should aim into making 3-4 people champs, they would be done rarely anyway.
For "single players" there should be lots of quests. They dont have to have complicated text in it or anything else. Just something like "kill x mobs of y kind", "find x pages droping from mobs in y area" and "craft x item using y combined with z".

My 2 cents :)
Harabakc
Legendary Scribe

Post by Harabakc »

I'm sorry, but if skills were much more difficult when they were when I joined, I wouldn't have started playing here in the first place. I have no interest in spending anymore time then I did when I first started to gain the capablity to do something. The way it is now is fine, it's not exactly a cake walk, but it's not so difficult as to make you worthless until you spend a large portion of time building a bunch of skills.

All you're going to do is make this server less attractive to new people. Trying to replace people getting bored with harder skill gains is not an effective way to try and fix the issue.
IMO we should aim into making 3-4 people champs, they would be done rarely anyway.
That's how it is now. The only champs that are done with 1-2 people are Coon and MOA. I suppose Neria would be possible, but that would take for freaking ever. The fact is, champ spawns aren't getting done because people aren't around. There for a while they were getting done with 3-4 people on a regular basis.

Adding a BoD type system for killing monsters might be an effective new thing you could add to occupy time so long as the reward is worth the effort put into it.
momser
Passer by

Post by momser »

ummm Some of us really are newbies when we start on this shard. I still don't know how to macro... so making it harder just means I'd start looking for a shard where I could play without undue time spent grinding for skills first. It sounds to me like you aren't taking into account not everyone gains skills quickly.
KatiJay
Elder Scribe

Post by KatiJay »

To be honest, I personally don't see a real reason to change skill gains. Things like suddenly making skill gain more difficult or... oh, say... nerfing an area to make creatures harder but drop less loot... That just tends to upset people. I, for one, like to be rewarded for my efforts.

Saying this change would improve the overall fun we have here is simply not true for most of us. More content, however, would. I know you guys are working hard to do just that, but instead of making needless changes, maybe we should focus more on those.

As Hara said, adding a monster killing BOD system would be a nice feature. Something else I like from another shard I've been visiting is an extensive quest selection, with awesome items and weapons as prizes. There are only so many times one can go on a champ spawn or level up a crafting skill...
IGN: Auri
ArchSage
Apprentice Scribe

Re: Harder skill gains

Post by ArchSage »

I believe that stat gains should be faster. shave a clean 5 minutes off the script. one stat gain every 10 minutes. if u feel the need to make skill gains harder, then so be it in exchange for easier stat gains. most skills are just afkable anyway. just 1 every 10 minutes instead of 15 minutes. that's all im proposing. very small. =]
anarchy
Legendary Scribe

Post by anarchy »

your necromancy has increase by +0.1
wismal
Passer by

Post by wismal »

i for one spend way more time on the computer than i should "my wifes words" but i work a full time job and would like to enjoy what little time i have to play. As you know in an effort to minimize the time i spent doing things i consider boring i donate alot. To make those things harder would simple make my time spent less productive and less enjoyable. I wish i had lots of time to play the game 24 -7 as some people do but RL won't allow that for me. I work lots of overtime and it is random because of my responsibilities i am subject to lots of calls so to make gains harder for me would be a defenant negative impact on the enjoyment i get from the game. I don't begrudge the people that have that kinda time and not to far in the future i will have more time, i hope my 2 cents was up late and took the day off so don't judge my spelling punctuation or paragraph composure pls just too tired to care about all that atm lol.
fingers
Legendary Scribe

Post by fingers »

If wismal post count is at 0, does that mean that this previous post ^^ made by wismal is the fruit of my imagination?
Dramoor
Legendary Scribe

Post by Dramoor »

A reply is not considered a post.

:)