Changes to Mining/Lumberjacking veins

Vote on the shard-related matters and/or give your arguments.

Before voting, please read the details below

Poll ended at Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:01 pm

I vote that the system be changed to the random resource veins
24%
I am against the change, please leave it as it is
66%
Either way is fine with me
10%

Total votes: 70

Atropa
Apprentice Scribe

Re: Changes to Mining/Lumberjacking veins

Post by Atropa »

After reading over your clarifications Colibri I'm not quite as put off about this proposed change as I was at first ,however that said even bumping the number of certain spots up is not going to solve the problem of the only ores we really use are gold, plat and iron.
The other ores are more or less useless for anything other than filling BODS which means lots and lots of mining time is going to be spent in frustration since we will be getting ore that we do not want or need.
Also Chiz brought up a very very valid point, granite...now I recalled around to 32 differant plat spots tonight attempting to get granite , now despite having spots marked and going to them all I still only wound up with 13 pieces of plat granite, so if this change was to come through there would really need to be drastic changes to mining stones, since even at the current way it is where we can hit only the spots we want it is super hard to get colored granite ( have more than enough of the plain stuff thanks!)
Maybe make colored spots only give colored granite perhaps and normal iron spots give regular granite? Or at the very least up the ratio of which your chances to get the colored stuff.
13 pieces might sound like I got plenty but given how many pieces it takes to attempt to make a table and a fail rate that is high even at over 100 skill then well 13 is a pretty pitiful number.

With good revisions I would not mind this change so much, but it worries me that some things which are already hard to get will become even harder, the ore was never a problem goodness knows I never see people in most of the places I mine to begin with but even still, I am hard pressed to get enough of the right colors together to fill a BOD without recalling around to specially marked spots and furniture is already a problem with all the higher ores. Which brings us back to the problem with crafting, we just do not use all the ores for anything other than BODS, there needs to be redeeming qualities to all of them so people are more inclined to buy and or mine the different ores. I still think this witll shoot the price of desirable wood/ore through the roof unless of course changes were made to crafting and things like forges and keys would take a lesser wood/ore.
I like to mine, really I do but most people hate it and changes will not make it fun for them it will be frustrating for them, but as people in game can tell you I love to find out what some place I have never been to has, so in a way I would love this change, but the merchant/crafter side of me is not amused by the proposed change, but even that side with a few tweeks would be happy with it in the long run but it would take more than just the change of the ore spots it would take a big overhauling of the whole mining/smithing/lumberjack/carpentry/tinkering system since they are all so intertwined one can not really be changed without looking over them all carefully.
amadman
Elder Scribe

Post by amadman »

Atropa - Yeah.. I like the idea but know it will make things a little harder at first. But I know I could adapt to the changes and things would be business as usual in no time.

Now... I don't believe you need 32 spots to continually mine. I know one mine where i can mine six spots and rarely have to wait for a vein to reset.

As for it being hard to get granite. I think it is supposed to be hard. If you cant get them as fast as you want by yourself then maybe you could buy some from other miners. Getting more people involved and the money moving would be a good thing.

The truth is that there is no shortage of platinum or granite. Look around at the shops and see the platinum and custom items available at pretty low prices (when you consider how easy it is to make money here). We all know we have a good thing going and its hard to give up a good thing. Even if we know deep down that doing so would make things better.
Stanley Cleaner
Master Scribe

Post by Stanley Cleaner »

I am for this Change !!! and I WAS for the FEL Change!

Funny ....

If you Make Random Champ Spawns I bet the same ppl would be mad...

I am crazy right??? well look at it this way

The People that mine up all the Resources are the same ppl that take all the Champs and are prolly the same ppl taking the rare Fel spawns ohhh wait now that I came back I find out that the Rare Spawns are now Random ... I am sure they loved that one! ...

Random Resource Spawns Is Good!

Everyone that is Against this think about it... you can charge double for your items!!! thats all you guys care about anyways.

I swear I must be one of the few ppl that logs on to UO and have fun.. Something like this could not ruin your gameplay... actually make you play the game and search instead of doing the same robotic thing... GREED.

I like the idea of the Forensic Skill... Lolz it would be useful! (I would still just mine out the entire cave thou .. and move to next one.)

Colibri- you should make it that FEL keeps the Veins as is but no double Resource when gathering and have Tram Random with double Resource. That would prolly be to much work but everyone would have Fixed location they can run to or just gather for random spots with a reward of double!

These Changes won't come into play I Know it... Shame, wonderful ideas.
Tael
Elder Scribe

Post by Tael »

So Stanley, let me get this straight ... you think random ore is a good idea because miners are bad people?

In any case, it seems that those who actually mine are not in favor of this change.
amadman
Elder Scribe

Post by amadman »

I consider myself a miner Tael and I am very much for this change.

I have all the spots in both trees and mining that i would ever need. I could tely around to get any ore or wood i need and rarely have to wait for a spot to spawn.

I can understand why most people would want to keep it this way. But personally as a miner I would like to see there being more to the mining Skill than that.
Kile Morgan
Elder Scribe

Post by Kile Morgan »

Whenever you use words like everyone or put people all in a group you're going to be wrong.

I don't even go after champs let alone camp them, yet I don't like parts of this idea(the idea not person or persons). I stopped because yes SOME do camp, but also didn't want to talk about what the group would do before or how things would be split, or after would go into chat to argue about each other being greedy. Waste of time so why bother. Wait, I don't mine up all the resources either, I got out of the way so I don't have to deal with someone showing up and accusing me of that or using their vein. Grumble gumble grunt.............. Now if one person who disagrees with this as currently stated then perhaps others also do not fit the "everybody".

I haven't charged for things. Only reason I have from time to time considered or tried to get a shop at EX Malls(saw a place I wanted and waited for the unused shop to be reset just to go back and find empty grass) is because every time I put armor or weapons I crafted in the new player room within two days I'd find most of it all in one or two vendors for sale. (Everything was marked and only went there). So again you are incorrect by grouping. I don't want greed.

I'd like to have some fun also, but usually have had limited time for playing and don't find things like resource gathering fun. As is I can reduce the time by going directly to where I need to go for this repetitive task. Gives more time to try and have fun. Also I don't find going out to look for ore fun, sorry but it's work not a quest. I have to pump out something like Rob Zombie or the like to sometimes keep from falling asleep.

Now perhaps if as I have not seen suggested:
Reduce how long it takes for the resources to regenerate (or whatever term you wish to use)
Include the new resources like some sort of gems I read would be implemented or other requested fixes be done at the same time.

Now also on spawns. I already suggested having more and different level champ spawns with some of all the levels have more then one possible spawning point. Now to add to that I would suggest to perhaps reduce the work pattern this instead off of the paragons with at least the lesser ones.
amadman
Elder Scribe

Post by amadman »

Kile Morgan - I agree.... there is no need to point fingers or try to target people/groups.

As for not liking to mine. Well....Not everyone should be a miner. What about the people who do like to mine and take pride in what they do?

Speeding up the spawn does not seem like its needed. If anything its too easy to gather resources as it is. There may have been need for it to be easy when the shard was young and needed the supply but I don't think that is the conditions now. There are now many people that have access to all the ore they could use and its going to just keep growing.

Gems when mining??? Yes Please!!!
+Rayne
Legendary Scribe

Post by +Rayne »

I believe I will arrange for random monsters to pop out whilst one is mining. This should add some flavor to your punch and ensure that your eyelids do not become heavy. ;)

+Rayne
[Administrator of Excelsior]

I'll look to like, if looking liking move:
But no more deep will I endart mine eye
Than your consent to give strength to make it fly.
Tael
Elder Scribe

Post by Tael »

[quote="+Rayne"]I believe I will arrange for random monsters to pop out whilst one is mining. This should add some flavor to your punch and ensure that your eyelids do not become heavy. ;)[/quote]
Hey, come to think of it, random ore would ruin my chance to recall into a plat ele. There goes all the fun ...

Here's an idea to add a challenge for those bored with mining:

1) Don't use any mining script or any macro more complicated than Last Object
2) Don't use metal keys, mobile forges, or bags of holding

There you have it: the glory of old school mining. The beauty of it is that no extra coding is required on the part of staff and no one will complain about the changes.

(PS: BBCode is still impossible to turn on and my post count has not increased following the last several posts.)
amadman
Elder Scribe

Post by amadman »

Tael - I am not talking about being bored of mining. I am talking about it being to easy to gather resources once you have found spots. Not just for me but for everyone.

Good point....The metal keys, mobile forges, bags of holding and macros you mentioned all add to the current ease of mining.

Me not using these things would not really solve anything because everyone else would still be using them.
Tael
Elder Scribe

Post by Tael »

I don't understand what needs solving. The market is not flooded with ingots. I can't keep up with demand on my vendors. What makes the "current ease of mining" as it relates to others any of your concern? It at least made sense when I thought you were referring to your own experience. But what judgments do you think you're justified in making about the experiences of others?

Sorry, but I don't get it.
Last edited by Tael on Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
amadman
Elder Scribe

Post by amadman »

There needs to be demand and one person should not be able to fill it.

But I think I would rather save that discussion for another thread.

I dont feel we are ever going to be on the same page anyway. So I will just accept that and move on.
Kile Morgan
Elder Scribe

Post by Kile Morgan »

+Rayne, thank you for the thought. I'm not sure how it would help unless you included audio of them yelling or something. Unless perhaps they look like alarm clocks and have a loud buzzing.
Ruewyn
Master Scribe

Post by Ruewyn »

Been here over a year, and finally saw Plat ingots deeds for sale on a player vendor yesterday. Also, I still haven't GM'd tinkering due to not finding regular ingots for sale on vendors. (granted i haven't been looking too hard for either) But to me it doesn't seem there is a problem with the current system. Anyways, I'm not for or against any changes, except I don't really want to see things pop while i am mining regular ore, that is my time to relax a little, and not have to worry about something poping and a 1 shot kill. That is what gargoyle picks are for.
Stanley Cleaner
Master Scribe

Post by Stanley Cleaner »

looks like quote wasn't working -

Kile:

I am sorry instead of trying to be "general" I should just point out names.... my post was to get my point out don't take it personal!

Also if you don't have time or don't like mining ..don't

I don't like having to wait 45 mins for Magic Stones from Å¡krat and its low drop rate. So guess what I do ? I don't go there I work on other things...

+Rayne : Don't know why this came to mind... but when you said the monster spawn how about In fel when we are hunting a rare spawn after killing a monster a banker spawns :P