New type of PvP on the shard

Vote on the shard-related matters and/or give your arguments.

How do you like this idea?

Poll ended at Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:02 am

Good idea, it will be a great way for more excitement for some players
28%
I'm not into PvP but that's fine with me
11%
I don't have an opinion
3%
I don't much like the idea but I don't really care
6%
This is a bad idea
52%

Total votes: 87

Licos
Elder Scribe

Re: New type of PvP on the shard

Post by Licos »

Jax2 wrote:I have to say I'm very surprised by the results of this forum.

Much like other topics that have been brought up, some people just shoot down the idea without a single good reason for doing so...

I am coming to the conclusion that many people here want things run one way, and one way only, and that is their way. Other people are not allowed to go against their way, even if it had no effect on them whatsoever. Makes me sad to see people act this way...

Anyhow, you guys who are opposed to this, *shakes head* I don't get you at all...
Look my friend, this thread and the "No PVP, Lack of Excitement?" thread are littered with reasons not to have PvP...

Colibri...
"Well i think that the main problem here is that it would attract more people that are mainly into PvP, kinds of players who arent as helpful, which would damage the atmosphere."

Undertaker...
"...all that will be left are the people that "reds" call "trammelites" then the harassment comes, the name calling comes, you want a disaster?"
"...this shard is designed for pvm... not pvp... throwing that in will throw off the balance, you got the cleric prayers, the layering, then comes the stubborns, the angeries, etc etc...."
"...and there WILL be a random jerk aimlessly killing red pvpers..."

Llexa...
"i dont think anyone is afraid of pvp, it's def not the right word. people despise it b/c its a selfish, rude, egotistical concept (due to lack of time/screening for selective pvp-and even decent players can become ruined by it, ie- getting banned or jailed for breaking rules)"

Sorgon...
"This shard is so inviting due to the fact thay we are a very tight community and we dont have pvp and the grief that goes
along with it."

Licos...
"The problem I see with this set up is that this is a family shard, and PvP tends to bring out the worst in people. Massive trash talk ensues...PvPers try to entice the new players into a killable zone...rules start getting violated by PvPers attempting new ways to kill people outside the PvP areas...older, more established players start leaving because the shard they chose went through a radical change...etc."

There are plenty of reasons behind what people stand for, that includes your reasons for why you want PvP. So, no need to go discrediting them because they don't agree with you...

Take a look around, this shard has become this huge success without PvP. We have events, we have quests that take devotion and hard work, it's not like there isn't anything to do here...

Final word. I think PvP would be exciting, but would ultimately cause more work for the staff, turn away the kind of playerbase we are looking for, and just add a negative atmosphere to the situation (just like what happens in many situations when you try and have two completely opposing sides "co-exist").
Rune
Elder Scribe

Post by Rune »

*beats dead horse* :P
Undertaker
Legendary Scribe

Post by Undertaker »

bravo licos... enough said... =)
Jax2
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Jax2 »

So, everyone thinks that anyone who enjoys the CHALLENGE of PVP is rude, obnoxious ...etc eh? That's not surprising at all from this bunch.

There are MANY people who are nothing BUT helpful, kind, polite, fun and just overall great people who are into PVP because it's fun to go and try and kill something that actually HAS a brain.

Perhaps many of you have been playing with a bunch of 12 year olds on OSI who do the trash talking, but to sit there and stereotype all PVP'ers into this kind of group is beyond reproach.

Furthermore, please, feel free to explain to me how PVP'ers will "Lure" people into killable areas, when Coli himself said, and everyone else seemed to ignore COMPLETELY that those who wish to participate in PVP would first have to visit a shrine or do some other task that will set them to PVP ... Doesn't anyone understand that entire concept? No one, and it bears repeating, NO ONE who doesn't wish to be involved in PVP would be.

I don't think, by looking at many of the players here, there would be any more "trash talk" than there already is when someone kills a champ, or fights someone in their guild ...etc. I think anyone who WOULD act in a way that would ruin the shard (rolls eyes, here we go yet again with the carebear politzi) wouldn't last long anyhow.

So, again, you stereotype ALL pvpers as unwelcomed sorts, complain about a system that you wouldn't even have to participate in should you choose not to, and in general, oppose, as usual, any changes what-so-ever.

Still don't understand ya'll. Sorry.
Licos
Elder Scribe

Post by Licos »

Very well. Lets just leave it at this is something you want and believe in with support, and that I believe otherwise. Ultimately, Colibri will have to make the decision. I know I said this before, but this time I mean it. Last comment.
Rune
Elder Scribe

Post by Rune »

pvp puts the worst out in ppl..even seen it here a few times

it was and will be worse name calling etc than when ppl fight in chat over *in past* taking over a champ and now fighting over the champ gold *rain*

ah yes lets have more of that crap in chat..cause we all enjoy it alot right?
Undertaker
Legendary Scribe

Post by Undertaker »

[quote="Licos"]Colibri will have to make the decision.[/quote]

BASED off the votes, and according his post (somewhere... in this topic) he said the votes have to be 70, 80, or even 90% (thats percent) on the YES side, and last time i checked the poll it was on the NO (thats no as in negative)...

and i do agree with rune on the last comment, it is true, an by this system, IF it goes thru, you know what Jax, your nonsense in saying stuff like

"[quote="Jax2"]everyone thinks that anyone who enjoys the CHALLENGE of PVP is rude, obnoxious[/quote]

i would quote more but its late for me... its not Just that, i guess the best way i can explain it, is that i joined this shard to get AWAY from pvp, and ill bet 1 million ed (just kidding) that a majority Joined this Server to Get Away from PVP... so why in blue chicken feathers would We want to support PVP? ... is becuz it was the VERY same reason we LEFT our old shards (maybe not the same reason, but something along the lines) to FIND a shard that doesnt HAVE pvp....

and thus, we found Excelsior, running 3+ years without ANY PVP ... but they were curtious to having the pvp dungeon INCASE 2 players wanna go at it, or mess around without being in the same guild...

and thats really the best way i can explain it myself

[quote="Jax2"]There are MANY people who are nothing BUT helpful, kind, polite, fun and just overall great people who are into PVP because it's fun to go and try and kill something that actually HAS a brain.[/quote]

your right about the first part... but your belief in thinking that these people will stay the same is really... unclear?... get a few of these ppl and have "fun" in the pvp dungeon... cuz really thats what its going to boil down to, if this poll runs again, the results will pretty much be the same, and this thread has run beyound its course, colibri said this is a dead topic, so face it, this pvp system will not be in today, tomorrow, or next year, cuz the "peacemakers" of excelsior will rise again an vote No on it....
Undertaker
Legendary Scribe

Post by Undertaker »

just a side note from my post above... i wanna specify on one thing really quick, Yes we Did read HOW the system works, and the reason why "NO" has out voted on the poll is not becuz were scared, or even better, terrified... its becuz we Flat Out Dont Want ANYTHING to Do With PVP . (period)

fit that in with my post above somewhere... somewhere along the lines of "The majority joined this server to get away from pvp"
everdead

Post by everdead »

uhmm i think poll are closed ,vote yes for free pvp pk and loot too ,why pvp on uo is a basically aspect of this game for ppl who interested only pve trammel for ppl interesting in all aspect of the game felucca,there's a time uo are only felucca aos destroy all aspect of sand box of the game
i'm new of this shard and i really like grafic aspect of the game i think with a pvp balanced are one of the best i played
regards
Licos
Elder Scribe

Post by Licos »

*Sigh*....Read my response above.
everdead

Post by everdead »

Licos wrote:*Sigh*....Read my response above.
nothing personal this shard with free pvp loot and pk are one of the best ,is my opinion:D
Orbit Storm
Legendary Scribe

Post by Orbit Storm »

I know a lot of people see this thread as a "Dead" topic, although I'd like to throw my 2 cents into this, considering I'm a new player and most of you are worried how the player base would swing, based on new players' opinions.

Not to mention, we need to keep the forums active too =)

Thing is, everyone really needs to realize that there are pros and cons to both sides of the issue.

But frankly, if you all would take a step back and look at the big picture; Excelsior having a PvP/RP balanced concept would be beneficial in the long run.

Sure, it could attract a "negative" atmosphere.. but do you really think something like that could happen over night? I'm pretty sure if we got wind of something of the sort happening, we could (as a shard) take action to help fix that problem before it becomes a legitimate threat.

Coli suggested allowing PvP but only under the pretense that you set your character for such a lifestyle. For instance.. I'm sure a script could be designed to provide a gump allowing players to choose whether their characters will live a life of RP style, or PvP fashion. And regardless of which one you choose, you wouldn't have to deal with the other.

As far as the fears of Champ spawns being stolen by PvP'ers... well that's a classic assumption, but it's easy enough to mark off boundaries where PvP would be allowed and not allowed. There's no need for the Champs to be moved from Fel, but they can easily be markered so that PvP is disabled in that region.

Not to sound judgmental here, but all I've seen was more trash talk coming from people AGAINST PvP than I have from those who advocate it. Most of you who say you came to Excelsior to "get away from PvP" have really done nothing but maintain a tunnel visioned mind set, with some rather horrendous presumptions about people who enjoy the thrill of the lifestyle.

The script could be edited in such a way that if you so desire to be flagged for PvP, that the only way to remove that is to pay a certain price so it doesn't become an issue. It could be maintained that you're unflagged for PvP for the first 21 days, as well.

Outside of the Champs, there's no real reason to be in Fel, thus complaining that PvP is enabled there is.. well, redundant.

Those opposed to PvP are having a real hard time of seeing the flip side of things, and realizing the benefits this could bring to the shard. For one, the player base would swell, period. Making excuses that "bad eggs" would arrive is just really criticizing Excelsior's staff of their abilities. Are you to say there aren't any problematic players now, WITHOUT PvP? Despite the supposed "threat" you see of a bigger workload for staff, I'm sure Coli wouldn't mind hiring a few more dedicated players. He doesn't have to hand GM positions out like brochures, but simply hire more Counselors who can handle the more minor situations. Most places have anywhere from 5-6 Counselors per GM in order to help maintain "order" on the server. There's dozens of players on Excelsior who would more than qualify for a position.

What it all comes down to, is that some people are biased in regards to the variety of lifestyles you can lead in UO. Yes, having a popular vote is a wise decision on Coli's part, so that he doesn't hurt his player base. But frankly, PvP being dealt into the shard in a more significant fashion would be more beneficial in the long run. I could argue my point all day.. Believe me, I've been playing UO for well over 10 years now.. and I have an added 5+ years in player run shards, in which I staffed numerous and ran 2 of my own. I can speak from experience in regards to both RP based and PvP based shards.

Either way.. that's my 2 cents, take it or leave it. The final decision does ultimately rest on the shoulders of Colibri, but I believe in his judgement.
Striker
Adept Scribe

Post by Striker »

I came here BECAUSE the ad said no PVP. I doubt that I'm the only one who can say that. There's 100's of shards out there that offer PVP, but this was the only one i saw that did not offer PVP. I would say that it is something we have that the others do not. If its not broke, why tinker with it?
Adin
Elder Scribe

Post by Adin »

[quote="Striker"]I came here BECAUSE the ad said no PVP. I doubt that I'm the only one who can say that. There's 100's of shards out there that offer PVP, but this was the only one i saw that did not offer PVP. I would say that it is something we have that the others do not. If its not broke, why tinker with it?[/quote]

+1

Absolutely agree.
Rune
Elder Scribe

Post by Rune »

*afk* beating the dead horse