Recent disconnects and a solution

Vote on the shard-related matters and/or give your arguments.

What do you think of these disconnects

Poll ended at Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:53 pm

I haven't noticed a disconnect / I don't care about a few minutes of downtime every now and then
33%
The disconnects are a problem, but loosing the pet-save function is not worth it
58%
We should get a secondary connection even if that means there will be no pet-save function anymore
8%

Total votes: 12

+Colibri
Administrator

Recent disconnects and a solution

Post by +Colibri »

Seems to me that this new ISP, although it worked perfectly from August '08 till October '08, last 2 months whenever they've been doing an upgrade or maintenance (every 2-3 weeks) they just plug everything out for 10-20 minutes at around 3AM shard time.

I'd like to know how this seems to all of you, the players. Is it something we can just ignore (since many shards have a lot more frequent and lengthier downtimes anyway) - that is, something that just isn't that bad as it is right now and doesn't need any fixing.

Then, in case if it is a problem, we have a solution - a secondary ISP link. However, this comes with a drawback. Right now the shard is scripted so that if it detects 0 players online (when the last non-local connection closes), it shrinks all pets and puts them to your backpack. With the extra connection, it would be quite normal for at least one person to be logged into that connection, meaning that this pet-saving feature would be disabled. Of course you could then go and login on that second connection, but it requires razor and some people might not know how to do that very fast.

So, in your opinion what should we do?

(Right now i would just leave it as it is because maybe the ISP will soon get the network to the state they desire - they're still building some parts of it. So i'm just doing some research.)
+Colibri, Administrator of UO Excelsior Shard

Don't know what the purpose of your life is? Well then make something up! ;)
(Old Colibrian proverb)