Possible Backpack Graphic Change

Vote on the shard-related matters and/or give your arguments.

Which would you prefer?

Poll ended at Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:16 pm

The white fur backpack
20%
The light tan backpack
61%
I like the idea of a new backpack graphic but I don't like these options
13%
Do nothing - Leave the original backpack graphic
6%

Total votes: 82

Fayude
Novice Scribe

Re: Possible Backpack Graphic Change

Post by Fayude »

Voting on the Tan one. The fur one looks awesome, but I think it'll run into the same problem that you're trying to fix. There are a lot of white items in the game, i.e. bandages. How difficult will they look in the fur bag as opposed to the brown bag? Probably pretty difficult.
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

here are the pack options when in-use. There are brown backpacks and white bandages/ED's in each as well as various other hues of items so you can get an idea of the contrast.
Attachments
Tan Backpack Example.png
Tan Backpack Example.png (63.75 KiB) Viewed 8052 times
Fur Backpack Example.png
Fur Backpack Example.png (51.65 KiB) Viewed 8044 times
Pheobe
Journeyman Scribe

Post by Pheobe »

Ok, so I voted for the tan one but the girly side of me really likes the fur. I am just concerned about important stuff (like GM items dropped in our packs) getting lost in the white. The bandages are easy to see in the fur one but not so much with the EDs. I do like the idea of changing from the dark brown ones!
Wil
Legendary Scribe

Post by Wil »

I like (and use) the green ones myself. The tan and white ones are lovely from an artistic point of view, but they suffer essentially the same functionality problems as the original.

For one thing, there is all the extra wasted space in the upper flap. I only have so much screen and I like to keep a number of packs and bags accessible.

Also, almost every object in the game shows up in high contrast against that green. The white one may have trouble against some platinum equipment and bags dyed white. In the sample, the EDs somewhat disappear. The tan one may have trouble versus reagents, wooden weapons, etc.

Pretty lasts an hour or two. After that it's more important to me how well they work.
robinw40
Apprentice Scribe

Post by robinw40 »

The fur one looks the best and it's easy to see what's in there. In game name "Que"
allendown
Journeyman Scribe

Post by allendown »

all for the brown, but could the fur one be more a fox or chinchilla instead of white rabbit, then id be all for the fur
dreamstalker
Legendary Scribe

Post by dreamstalker »

[u say we are limited by the version of runuo that we are on which i can understand. however is there any thought to or is it even possible to upgrade or would that constitute a complete rewrite of the code that +C uses? im not puter illiterate but writing code is a bit above my paygrade :) just thought i'd ask. Either way yall keep up the awesome work. we all appreciate it very much even if we dont say so very often. Btw as an after thought i like the white bag better then the brown but i use the green due to bad eyesight. (UOEX forever) :)
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

No, it's not something we can or will do - it would involve starting over fresh and basically re-writing every custom thing ever made on uoex. It's not something feasible for a shard that's been up for 10 years and so highly customized hehe :)
Opopanax
Legendary Scribe

Post by Opopanax »

Everyone is talking about these green backpacks and I have no idea what they are talking about! I often lose dark items in my pack so would like to use the green one until a higher contrast one is available. Any pointers as to where I can get it please :) ?
AKAWilbur
Passer by

Post by AKAWilbur »

Google Gaechti's Ultima Online Patches.....
lestatzero
Legendary Scribe

Post by lestatzero »

[quote="AKAWilbur"]Google Gaechti's Ultima Online Patches.....[/quote]

Be careful if you use those packs to do any type of patching yourself as some patches and addons are ment for newer clients and not our client version. +Nyx has thousands of hours of experience working with editing the client. Adding other 3rd party patches can mess with and or break what she has worked so hard to put together. Use of those patches requires other software and knowledge of how to edit MUL files. If you edit a file that is then edited by +Nyx in an Excelsior Official patch it will overwrite your edits.

So be warned. :-)

Side Note: Thanks to +Nyx for all of the hard work and effort you put into the client additions you have done! ...

Lestat
AKAWilbur
Passer by

Post by AKAWilbur »

Good point Lestat, I made sure to have a backup of the .mul files before doing any changes... The site does have warnings up & goes over making backups. The green packs work with this build of UO & do make it easier to see things in the packs.
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

:)

On the topic of backpack options, I'm still going to try to convince +C to let me make multiple options available in different gump.mul files, so that folks who are less technology-inclined can have an easy way to pick something that works for them without having to go and try to patch it themselves. I'm not sure if he will agree, but I still firmly believe that it is the best compromise for a change like this even though it's more work for me each time we patch in the future.
dreamstalker
Legendary Scribe

Post by dreamstalker »

wow +N tyvm.. would be too cool and i think perhaps u could tell +C how much better we like the idea of .mul files instead of just havein 1 or 3 options. sorry it would be more work for you but think of all the designing u could do if this gets +C's approval lol.. thanks for everything u do for the shard
andy barrington
Apprentice Scribe

Post by andy barrington »

i myself would love the tan backpack. it would make it easier to see dark items such as the dreaded dragon nunchaku many times i have been overweight and it took a while for my old eyes to find the two or three pairs of nunchucks in there. thank you for all you do. i love this game!