New Blighted grove review

Name says it all
ahorton12
Elder Scribe

New Blighted grove review

Post by ahorton12 »

all in all it seems like the right step to end pages over people arguing over the spawn, i went down to do it. had to ask someone who was already there to find the quest giver, perhaps the fairy should be placed outside the door, that way it would be more streamlined. get book go out side kill treefellows and moss maiden. then inside i wasnt sure what to kill so i asked again. reapers, and the changeling along with one item that grows on the ground. the reapers spawn at a decent rate, got that and the item from the ground, then i got in line for the changlings. they die fast but they dont respawn at a quick rate. the changelings may be a cause for problems and qq'ing almost as if the problems found with everyone waiting on lady mel have been transfered. beyond this point im not sure but im guessing that there is a cooldown on the lady mel spawn. all in all a good idea and im sure will be great when all the kinks are worked out. hope this helps with the kinks and staff doesnt get too many pm's from those willing to whine about everything that happens on the shard. :)
Eziekial Moss
Yoda
Legendary Scribe

Re: New Blighted grove review

Post by Yoda »

I could see the changelings being a problem as well they respawn far too slow to be a keydropper.. so you have the long respawn on the keydropper & the cooldown after summoning mel which is 30 minutes..

all because of a 0.0001 chance that she will drop a super weapon?? just trying to follow what has been accomplished overall i like the summon just don't see the point of the 30 minute resummon, instead of someone who hunted for and stocked up keys to mel being gone in 20 - 30 minutes.. you have them coming back over and over throughout the day giving the perception of someone locking down the spawn do you not? more of a question less of a statement..

great adjustment just might require some tweaks mostly the changeling..

as far as the other cooldowns for travesty, effy, etc etc etc really? I dunno maybe I am missing something here.
Guildmaster: JDI - Est 2011
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

Alright, changelings can get a spawn rate increase, that shouldn't be a problem. V can also update the quest book to detail the mobs needed (and we're gonna do a forum post about all of the changes too). For the cooldown on mel, well. Everybody feels righteous griping about the market and how such important items are losing value, becoming too common and therefore dirt cheap etc. Well, when they're all too easy to get, that's what happens. Lady mel was on a 30 minute spawn timer before. Now, she can be killed every 21 minutes. If we made it where she was able to be instantly re-spawned with keys, then we'd have to make the keys decay. I am aware Travesty is currently 'spawn as much as you want', but she's getting a tweak too, she'll be on a cooldown period between summons.

I know change is hard to accept, but the shard has to be constantly evolving, including making modifications to old systems. The shard is a fluid thing, and when there are enough good reasons to change an old system then we need to do that or this place will die over time. We can't hold on to exclamations of "but that's the way it was!", because the way it was before that motivated things to be implemented in the past is not necessarily the way it is *now*. Thus, those old methods are not necessarily still the best thing for any given area or the shard as a whole.

This is the best we can do without extensive coding, and extensive waiting around for Colibri to have -time- to code it all, in order to try to stop the QQ'ing about kill stealing, line-jumping blah blah blah, as well as help try to maintain the market value of the items dropped from these mini-bosses. With this trend we've been seeing in the last 8 months or so of newbies getting handed balron books and nobles their first week, and run through goc quests / running it with their free pack of nobles within their first month or so, we are seeing this massive shift in both the economy and the attitude of the new players. These new players get this stuff that *should* be obtained around the 6 month mark, and they've got it knocked out in half that time or less, so then they gripe that nobody cares about the mid-range player (because what the usual mid-range player SHOULD be doing, they've already been handed/run through/etc by the 3 month mark), they don't know how to play or what to do, they think everything needs to be handed to them etc etc etc. They don't see the value in items, because they didn't really have to work for them, so they don't care about maintaining pricing, just making a quick sale. Small, harmless tweaks like this will help balance these problems out over time. Not to mention drastically reduce the QQ from these areas. We still get a fair number of whiny pages about Travesty since she can be summoned immediately - we've seen where someone was still in there looting, and someone else summons her, but before the new summoner finds her, the previous person starts killing her...so she needs a delay to guarantee the first player has time to loot and get out, before she is summoned again. We started mel off that way so there'd be no need to modify her again to accommodate that irritating issue later.
Yoda
Legendary Scribe

Post by Yoda »

see that I can totally accept.. when its put to me that way I see the logic behind the decision, loot time etc I have actually been in travesty and had her appear on top of me so I totally feel that one..

one thing that would be interesting to see tho, I wish there was a way to actually see how frequently these "super weapons" drop as the data would be at the very least enlightening.. I have killed mel 100's never seen a 4x58 maybe have seen 3 3x58's etc I think sometimes people overestimate what drops are dropping. can't recall the last time I have even seen a 4x58 on the market
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

I have no way to see the drop frequency or even the % chance of drop, but I think it probably doesn't even matter. If there's any chance at all, people will farm it into the ground, even people who don't need the item for themselves but just want it to sell. So that mob will be a point of contention and dramuhz.
Nightstarwolf
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Nightstarwolf »

errrmm....Nyx...

" ...seeing in the last 8 months or so of newbies getting handed balron books and nobles their first week..."

That problem has its base at the fast ability of training up taming.
Doing that right without any help, someone is GM taming in one week easy.
Additional lore too.
Vet may take 2-3 days, depends on the playtime.
Now the problem starts.

If those newbs can USE high PS for example too fast, they also can use those nobles.
But even with 5 frenzied ostards, its far easy to wipe ballys out.
Just depends on a full-LRC-suit and SS.
And Frenzieds dont require a PS at all.

So its all a question of money, how much maybe a newb is gifted or he may earns.
As faster he gets some money for a LRC, as faster he can get decent pets for hunting more money.
3 days of constant doing solen quest, and he has a few millions.
Thats enough for a 5-pack of 1100-mules.
They do fine for all the bally spots etc.
So add maybe a week, and the new player has his 5-pack-nobles maxed out well.

So, where is the error in the balance?
Sadly said, in the fast skillgain.

During the old game, you made bunches of money for EQ and other things, while levelling up skills. That took weeks and months.
Here, it takes maybe 3-4 days.
The balance isnt constructed for that fast skillgain.
But where does all go?

At one day, you get to a point, where a decision is needed.
Playing with high-lv-stuff like GoC, relayers etc, or just staying in the "normal" EQ.

IMHO, to balance out a too fast run on high items / dungeons, some items should have a usedelay like vet rewards.
For example, not possible use of a relayer / relayered weapon for chars below 6 months playtime. Not possible use of a 120 PS by chars below 4 months playtime. etc.
So the new players start to build up their money, house, EQ also. Not only rushing through the skillgains by 5-day-24/hours macro.
btw ...macro...AFK-macroing is another point, which offers too fast growing up.
Just my two cents, but macroing while watching the char should be enough "help".
People managed to play the game totally without a macro fine, so too much help by programs also can turn a game into the wrong direction.

The only possible solution for the bally-books seems to block recalling into dungeons also on trammel. Yeah, I hear the whining from the campers now, but think a bit to front.
As fast you allow newbs to do the same, you do, as fast more money floats the shard.
So raises prices etc.
And if you want to sell your items one day, you need customers, who have money for buying them. Too high prices - no customers.

Back to BG review.
Like there is an account-age limit for the newbie dungeon, how about setting such for custom mobs like Mel?
So too high mobs just can be hunted at a specific age.

Just a few thoughts....if they just help or raise other ideas, it was worth to write it down.
Meeting a PK:

Explo....poison....flamestrike....Ingots...
Ingots??
Aye, I ran out of mana :P

*Damned, I really need to tame a GM one day*
ahorton12
Elder Scribe

Post by ahorton12 »

just went and did Mel again. Happy to say that when u walk in now there is a gate to the north of the entrance where u enter and the fairy to gain the book is in there. then you go thru and get your keys. the moss maiden and treefellow outside hold 2 of your keys, then u go back in kill the changling the reaper and then find the key that grows on the ground. once you have collected them all you go back into that gate and the alter which is also in there gives u your key. there are specific lines set up to que your character until it is your turn and i found nothing that confused me at all about the process. great job creating a fix for a problem that has caused many pages. 2 thumbs up from me :)
Eziekial Moss
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

We heard from Colibri regarding Lady Mel this morning and he did not want her to be instantly respawned. If we were to change her to instant summon, then he would require that the keys take about 2 hours to acquire. So, the current system will stay in place as is, with minor tweaks for efficiency/bug fixing. I've received a couple pages about a couple of things (not being able to read speech of the people in the next waiting pen over, etc) and we'll be working on those this evening.
Yoda
Legendary Scribe

Post by Yoda »

in many ways that makes sense, after running it several times last night the delay is a considerable improvement over the open way it was before and I quite enjoyed it, the key gathering added a little texture to it all and it was fun watching the area evolve over the night.. I am totally cool with how it is now
Legendaries
Elder Scribe

Post by Legendaries »

I agree with Yoda, the change is something that was done very well and was thought out. I agree with the fact that it isn't account-bound as well as that it doesn't take 2 hours to get the keys haha. The only thing that needed to change from the first look at the new keys was the re-spawn time of the changelings, and you did that. I want to thank you +Nyx and +V, you guys take a lot of crap and still do us proud :). Thanks again :)
Adrycks
Legendary Scribe

Post by Adrycks »

I actually like the new concept. It makes the grove alive again. Just to let you know....Lady Mel instantly spawned on me two times after i killed her yesterday. She didn't wait the 21 minutes....just to let you know :)
In-game name: Drakis.
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

Thanks for letting us know. There's a little blip in the system that we discovered last night but we're mulling it over until tonight to find the best solution. We may need to add 1 more step between when you say "mel" and actually get into her room, to ensure she spawns promptly and only once.
Fiernocht
Legendary Scribe

Post by Fiernocht »

fabulous absolutley fabulous! i enjoy the new system quite a bit hehehe
“No tree, it is said, can grow to heaven unless its roots reach down to hell.”
― C.G. Jung
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

We've updated some of the fancy behind-the-scenes stuff to hopefully fix the problem with her taking a long time to spawn once summoned, or spawning more than once per go. Please let us know if you see these issues or anything else weird going on.
montolio
Novice Scribe

Post by montolio »

Did this effect the goc drops from any of the mobs ?