kill stealing via autotarget/autokill scripts

Name says it all
nocturne7saint
Elder Scribe

kill stealing via autotarget/autokill scripts

Post by nocturne7saint »

So I have been dealing with a certain player who has been kill stealing and using an obvious autotarget/autokill script of some kind.
this player instantly kills things the second they spawn.

i was wondering if this, besides being ethically and morally deplorable, is jailable?
blackstone from the ILV guild
Wil
Legendary Scribe

Re: kill stealing via autotarget/autokill scripts

Post by Wil »

nocturne7saint wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:21 am
So I have been dealing with a certain player who has been kill stealing.
i was wondering if this, besides being ethically and morally deplorable, is jailable?
That depends on whether you correctly understand kill stealing.

If you're at the spawn waiting, they show up after you, and when the next mob finally spawns they steal it then, yes, that's jailable. Or if you're battling a mob and they pop in and kill it. Record it and report them.

If you're laying claim to an area* and killing everything that spawns, and they show up and start to compete then no, that's not jailable. Nor is it kill stealing. Same if you fail to take turns on a single spawn. You get the one mob you're waiting for, unhidden where they can see you're obviously waiting, and then you have to yield to the next person in line.

And group mobs like champ spawns don't count. They're meant to be group-killed and everyone involved gets rewarded.

Regards,
Wil

* By which I mean you're leaving the immediate screen and coming back. Killing trash mobs that assault you while waiting more or less in place for the one good mob counts as waiting for the one good mob and it'd be kill stealing for someone who shows up later (perhaps because they left the screen and came back) to take the shot.
nocturne7saint
Elder Scribe

Post by nocturne7saint »

I'm not as worried about the kill stealing, that happened only a few times when i was farming exp in deciet.
but i keep seeing this player, and hes obvioulsy using an autotarget/autoattack script.
I was wondering if such scripts are allowed?
blackstone from the ILV guild
Opopanax
Legendary Scribe

Post by Opopanax »

The rules in the codex state that such scripts are only allowed, BUT ONLY if the player is present at their computer monitoring it constantly.

This goes for any killing script or resource gathering script. If you have not encountered it already, there are AFK checks that trigger sometimes. If you fail to respond in the appropriate manner in the required time, you will be jailed as it is deemed that you were away from your keyboard. If you suspect they are AFK, you can report that player from the help menu.
In game name: Abarai
Wil
Legendary Scribe

Post by Wil »

nocturne7saint wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:57 am
I was wondering if such scripts are allowed?
Yes, they are. However, the user must be paying attention and must prevent the script from stealing kills when another player is present. If they're not, they're breaking the rules.
Geriatric
Legendary Scribe

Post by Geriatric »

nocturne7saint wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:21 am
So I have been dealing with a certain player who has been kill stealing and using an obvious autotarget/autokill script of some kind.
this player instantly kills things the second they spawn.

yeah we all know that certain player that kill steals is sidca
Dirtybook
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Dirtybook »

To be fair, he may also be talking about me. (I'm Stom) I do run an automatic Attack/Loot script when I run through places like Blood Dungeon, and I am considerably stronger than any new players that try to hunt in that dungeon. My advice, hunt in less frequented places, more you're level of strength. (No shame in it, I didn't hunt in Blood for a long time.)

Just a heads up, I won't attack someone else's kill, I go after my own. (Meaning, if you haven't attacked it yet, it's fair game, for anyone else to attack.) Which is not agents the codex (the rules). I "do not" camp in Blood, I come through there on a hunting route, that I some what randomize, depending on how many people are hunting in those places. I'm literally there less than 10 minutes at any given trip. Then I am off else where, to continue hunting. However I can be seen frequently making 2-3 stops an hour in Blood. (That is why people "think" I am always there, when I am not.)

I can tell you this, my self, and other players, most of which use Automatic attack scripts, will run past you at warp speed killing and looting. It seems to me that you do not have this script. Best way to hunt more effectively for you're self, is to get that script. Many players will be more than willing to shoot you the script for fighting in a [pm.

Also, if you want Sidea to stop taking you're kills, start taking his. That fixes the problem. (Someone throws a rock at you, throw it back.) He figured out just how much stronger I am than him, (He also figured out I [claim the corpse and the gold on it before it hits the ground.) and now he avoids attacking what I'm fighting when he sees me.
ButteryBiscuits
Elder Scribe

Post by ButteryBiscuits »

Just a reminder that calling out players by names in the forums is not allowed.
BB
---------------------------
ButteryBiscuits
in game name ButteryBiscuits
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mermaid_of_Warsaw
Wil
Legendary Scribe

Post by Wil »

Dirtybook wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:29 am
I won't attack someone else's kill, I go after my own. (Meaning, if you haven't attacked it yet, it's fair game, for anyone else to attack.)
I can tell you this, my self, and other players, most of which use Automatic attack scripts, will run past you at warp speed killing and looting.
Hi,

Would you expand on that a little bit? If you're running by at "warp speed," how exactly are you divining whether someone else present is already engaged in a battle?

Most folks program their scripts to detect other players' presence and simply skip that area. The ones obeying the rules, I mean. The way you describe your script, if you show up in the 5 seconds between when a mob spawns and the camping player notices, you'll attack and take it down. That is *definitely* against the rules. They were waiting. That instance of the spawn is theirs.
Dirtybook
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Dirtybook »

Sorry Wil.. but no.. I will not.. You and a handful of others try you're best on these forums, by manipulation through coercion to call someone out, in an authoritative manner, to implicate them for a perceived lack of competence. No matter how much I respond, it will go round and round, until I give up, and stop trying to explain myself. Which in turn, makes you, and others that try this same manipulative tactic, believe you were always in the right from the start. Simply wearing down a person, to where they give up, does not make you in the right (It only makes you an expert "Manipulative Talker", and that is not a good thing). This tactic works on people who live in a world of diplomacy, and whom worry about their reputation.. I do not live in that world. (How I am viewed, means almost nothing to me. Where it means everything to others.)

You will find everything you can wrong with anything I say (including this response), and I no longer play into that trick to make you're social standing look better from it. I see you for what you are, and figured you out a while back.. Sorry mate.. Extend your false authority to those that have not learned you're tricks. Cheers.
Johnny Warren
Legendary Scribe

Post by Johnny Warren »

Dirtybook wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:29 am
(That is why people "think" I am always there, when I am not.)

Also, if you want Sidea to stop taking you're kills, start taking his.

He figured out just how much stronger I am than him
Nobody is thinking about you. Not every post is about you. You do this every thread.

Two wrongs don't make a right. PSA: best to report it, don't take this guy's advice and start breaking rules.

Lol.
JOHNNY WARREN!
Dirtybook
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Dirtybook »

Thank you John Warren, you're very nicely proving my point on word manipulation. I don't worry if anything is about me.. but, it seems you cannot resist making sure you make an appearance. (I appreciate you're vanity, but you might want to remember this post isn't about you either.)

Also, if no one thinks of me, than I am happy. Keeps people that would rather grief, cause problems, and provoke away from me. So I am fine with that. However, it is not fool proof.. Considering you came out of the wood work to take nuggets of a conversation out of context, for you're amusement. Which makes you one of the fools that have not gathered the clue, that you are not liked, for the same previously mentioned behaviors.
Wil
Legendary Scribe

Post by Wil »

Dirtybook wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:44 am
You and a handful of others try you're best on these forums, by manipulation through coercion to call someone out, in an authoritative manner, to implicate them for a perceived lack of competence. No matter how much I respond, it will go round and round, until I give up, and stop trying to explain myself.
You will find everything you can wrong with anything I say (including this response), and I no longer play into that trick to make you're social standing look better from it.
See bud, if your behavior was entirely above board, all you had to do was say, "no, in your example my script won't attack in the 5 seconds between when a mob spawns and the camping player notices." If you can't truthfully say that then you in fact -are- breaking the rules on kill stealing and I've no qualms calling you out for it.

You're right about one thing though: I found something wrong in what you said.
Nick
Legendary Scribe
Location: PA native, liveing in NC right now Moveing to TX in march

Post by Nick »

Man for someone that professes that how he is viewed, "Means almost nothing to me" That sure was a lot of words :lool: :lool: :lool:

OP yes kill stealing is against the rules but, almost every script hunter has a check for another player in their script to avoid kill stealing as defined by the rules; Many ppl will completely ignore you if you type to them on screen because they are busy with something in RL send a PM and they will most likely respond. No, script hunting or looting is not prohibited all forms and combos of scripts are allowed her only rule is you can not be AFK by codex rules. Respond in 30 seconds to a GM in-person AFK check to think its 3 minutes for an Auto AFK check might be 10 min I don't remember. I have auto scripts for most everything built in razor if you ever need something and use Razor..

Dirtybook wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:44 am
Sorry Wil.. but no.. I will not.. You and a handful of others try you're best on these forums, by manipulation through coercion to call someone out, in an authoritative manner, to implicate them for a perceived lack of competence. No matter how much I respond, it will go round and round, until I give up, and stop trying to explain myself. Which in turn, makes you, and others that try this same manipulative tactic, believe you were always in the right from the start. Simply wearing down a person, to where they give up, does not make you in the right (It only makes you an expert "Manipulative Talker", and that is not a good thing). This tactic works on people who live in a world of diplomacy, and whom worry about their reputation.. I do not live in that world. (How I am viewed, means almost nothing to me. Where it means everything to others.)

You will find everything you can wrong with anything I say (including this response), and I no longer play into that trick to make you're social standing look better from it. I see you for what you are, and figured you out a while back.. Sorry mate.. Extend your false authority to those that have not learned you're tricks. Cheers.
Silent
Legendary Scribe

Post by Silent »

Lurking the forums since dec 2012