lack of new content, player decline, and this shard

Name says it all
nocturne7saint
Elder Scribe

Re: lack of new content, player decline, and this shard

Post by nocturne7saint »

I for one would like to see more spots to hunt mobs for gold.
most of the better spots are camped all during the day in central time zone daytime.

I think it would be great if we could get some more areas to farm gold.
balrons are camped like mad, citadel is camped for long periods, i don't know about twisted weald since Mobs are a bit too strong for me now.
blackstone from the ILV guild
Eremite
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Eremite »

nocturne7saint wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:43 am
I for one would like to see more spots to hunt mobs for gold.
most of the better spots are camped all during the day in central time zone daytime.

I think it would be great if we could get some more areas to farm gold.
balrons are camped like mad, citadel is camped for long periods, i don't know about twisted weald since Mobs are a bit too strong for me now.
This is kinda where I'm at and I touched on it a lot in my first post in this thread. There aren't many farming spots that I'm finding and the few that are decent are pretty much always taken - Blood Dungeon, etc. Balrons are of course camped 24/7 by many people - you can stand by a balron spawn and watch a steady train of people recalling in/out.

I'd love to see more places where you can do big juicy pulls and WW stuff down. WhirlWind + claimall is giving me ARPG vibes and I like it. :D

What might be a good alternative is an item/skill that can pull mobs to you. Like a magic lasso/AoE black hole thing that pulls mobs to you within like 10-15 tiles, so you could run through an area and spam it to gather stuff up to kill? That alone would suddenly make a lot more areas viable as gold farms.
Geriatric
Legendary Scribe

Post by Geriatric »

thats kinda what hit area does though, i think the range may only be 8 tiles though

as for farming locations, i even find that destard/shadow/ancient wyrms get used pretty heavily

having a faster spawn time for mobs in ilshenar/felluca would be a good idea to off set this
you cant recall there you have to run,atleast make the run worth it

no one goes to fel deceit to farm lich lords cos its so far out of the way, it has the same respawn time as trammel, the same amount of gold drops per mob, the monsters have twice the amount of hit points so it takes longer to kill them and it takes you 15/20 minutes just to get there
Cerrera
Legendary Scribe

Post by Cerrera »

Don't want to sound skeptic but talking about good spots, must admit that if all spots will be so good as best ones, than they will be usual spots, and we will be willing better spots, which will be always busy. And nothing will change, just digits. At one point am good with balron farmers, while they are there, they aren't where i am. From other side i wouldn't be against of using full potential of what can i farm, but at end it wouldn't change nothing, cause prices will make it even. At the end, if we want to be completely true, we want advantage, but when everyone have it, its not advantage anymore.
Eremite
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Eremite »

It's not even about making a new "best" farming spot - it's just the lack of good ones in general. Maybe I haven't explored enough, but every time I find an area that's semi-decent for gold drops, then there are usually other people there most of the time.

I'm fortunate enough to work 3rd shift so I can usually get some killing in in the middle of the night, but by the time morning's rolling around, people are starting to come to those spots.

Another option would be to stimulate the economy. Right now, there's a lack of GOLD farming spots - there's plenty of other stuff that can be farmed more efficiently in many other places, but there's no real economy to speak of. More resource dumps, more uses for items, etc would be nice - maybe have some fancier items craftable instead of leaning so heavily on ED rewards. (that cuts into profits though)

Also, removing the daily tax on vendors and keeping the flat sales tax would be a huge benefit to boosting the economy. I did some calculations and if you list an item and it doesn't sell within ~160 days, you pay more in fees than you make from the sale. For slow-selling items (rares, relayers, leveled weapons, etc), it's useless to even list them. Keep the weekly fees on the TC vendors if needed since they're in a prime spot, but normal vendors in the world should just pay sales taxes (possibly at a higher rate of like 5-6%).
Geriatric wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:44 pm
thats kinda what hit area does though, i think the range may only be 8 tiles though
I was talking about something that pulls them to you instantly within a range. Having to stand there while they shuffle over to you to get them grouped sucks. -_-

Also, instead of hit area, you can just have UOS attack everything in sight to insta-aggro them instead of waiting for them to notice you:

Code: Select all

@clearignorelist
while @getenemy 'criminal' 'enemy' 'murderer' 'gray'
  @attack 'enemy'
  ignoreobject 'enemy'
endwhile
Cerrera
Legendary Scribe

Post by Cerrera »

Other thing is stealables, long time ago bought one for 8mil, with good off, usually glowing rune costs about 15 (thanks to that person). but thats all. I didnt knew such things exists for a years, than i started to searching stealables actively, but voila, you cannot find any, they been camped by those who know, and thats their right, also without special assistance of programs, its ''bit'' harder. So others have a tiny chance's. what was solution for me, as a monkey who gets cucumber instead of grape (who knows that experiment) is just stop pushing button. Am not saying its a huge problem, but this was on my heart for some time. So conclusion, they got their advantage, they are good (at least i think so) others not so much, turn as you want, but always will be someone who will feel that something is taken away from him.
Geriatric
Legendary Scribe

Post by Geriatric »

eremite i think some of those suggestions are a bit more over the top and hard to write code for

physically teleporting all the monsters within a certain range straight to you, monsters cant walk over the top of each other as it is, you try and put 2 monsters on the same tile and you end up with bugs of monsters falling through the floor
and it just sounds like your mad you wish you could kill monsters faster cos they walk to slow

fancier craftables takes time cos you need to weigh and balance stats

i do agree there is a bit of a problem with the vendors but its really the only gold sink there is right now
the amount of weight vendors can carry is one major problem, cos it means you cant sell alchemy kegs without spending half a million gold upgrading the vendors weight
Cerrera
Legendary Scribe

Post by Cerrera »

There is mobs which insta aggro's in game, those are wyvern's and paragon ones. Slowly movement applies mostly on casters, cause they stops for a moment to cast spell. And what i typed yesterday in stealables post was more philosophy/monologue with myself in loud than arguing with someone about farming (saying just in case) .
Eremite
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Eremite »

Yeah, some of that was idea dumping, but the fundamental truth as I see it is:

Farming for gold is the only real viable farming because of a glacially slow player economy.
There are plenty of farming spots, but ones that are good for gold are limited and camped.
Farming can be boring/repetitive in the sub-optimal spots.

I realize that this isn't just a "push a button and it's fixed" thing. I'm just trying to give a new(ish) player's perspective since I only joined about 4 months ago. Hopefully that perspective is useful since attracting new players is how you counteract player decline - the topic of this thread.
Geriatric wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:33 pm
eremite i think some of those suggestions are a bit more over the top and hard to write code for
Likewise, I hope that my ideas that I'm dumping may be useful as a starting point or trigger an "aha" moment rather than being a final product - I'd honestly be slightly terrified if my unformatted brain dump made the translation directly to code.
Geriatric wrote:
fancier craftables takes time cos you need to weigh and balance stats
As for fancier craftables, it doesn't even need to be equipment or weapons that you need to balance stats on. Just something that requires player interaction that is desirable - I've posted ideas in another thread, but I could re-hash some of these if needed.

Currently, the farming meta as I see it is:

Find mobs that drop the most gold.
Farm them until your fingers bleed or turn on a bot and watch YouTube on the 2nd monitor.
Convert gold to ED since the only good rewards are from those.

Basically, ED rewards are the only really desirable things that are worth a lot (aside from some rarities or deco items) and the fastest way to those is to farm gold and trash everything else. There are also occasional auctions, but again that's just pure gold/ED so the incentive is the same.

Even basic stuff like gathering resources (mining, fishing, lumberjacking) are not a reliable income. I've had certain flavors of ingots/boards up for sale for months and not a single one has sold despite it being the lowest price on EXEX. There's very low desire for these items, so they don't get bought.
Geriatric wrote:
i do agree there is a bit of a problem with the vendors but its really the only gold sink there is right now
the amount of weight vendors can carry is one major problem, cos it means you cant sell alchemy kegs without spending half a million gold upgrading the vendors weight
This is my current main gripe that's holding back the economy. I forgot to mention the weight thing earlier, but I think that in addition to removing the daily fee from non-prime vendors, it should use an ITEM limit instead of a weight limit. This makes more sense, particularly with stuff like kegs.

I've got to stop writing books as replies. :D Noone's going to read this whole thing.
Geriatric
Legendary Scribe

Post by Geriatric »

nah, i read the whole thing man, the only way to ever solve problems is to have open and honest discussion about it

but yes it is all about getting those all important ED's not everyone can donate to get to the phat lewt
the farming issue is a real problem, theres even times when i find myself killing earth elementals in shame cos theres no where else

alot of places in ilshenar are just useless locations, theres maybe one or two mobs and its not worthwhile running there to kill it, even if you allowed recalling into ilshenar it would make little difference

i dont know of anyone that uses dungeon wrong, the juka mages and warriors, that place could be changed to a completely different type of spawn

despise could use a bit of a boost in mob types, theres the one little island with a few ogre lords, but other than farming some spined leather no one bothers with the ettins and trolls

far to many low level monsters, which is fine for a server that only has 7x skills,
but even promoting half of these monsters to mid tier would be awesome lichs/demons/blood eles / dread spiders / cyclops
Turnabout
Elder Scribe

Post by Turnabout »

Farm 250k of gold each day (easy), take care of your bees, vote and after one year you have 5 relayers. After you did these simply activities you can spend your time doing champ spawns to get your PSs, farm for imps, do the goc quest, run doom for your SoT, level your weapon and so on. After 3 years you have 15 relayers, 3 good artifacts (SoT/JoW/Black Belt) and nearly every skill at 120/130 (excluded useless ones like spellweaving)... if you stick to the plan! Then you have access to any content on the shard.
The Skilled Image.
Geriatric
Legendary Scribe

Post by Geriatric »

was just having a look through UOAM and even the UOEX pvp area
thats alot of unused real estate

people complaining about places to farm could just populate some of those areas with various monster spawns and list it on the world teleporter
Cerrera
Legendary Scribe

Post by Cerrera »

Hey i was asking people to lay their heads in honorable battle against me, just yesterday.
Geriatric
Legendary Scribe

Post by Geriatric »

GM crafted equipment only, no artifacts, no relayers, sure
Geriatric
Legendary Scribe

Post by Geriatric »

also... felluca hedge maze would be a great place to hunt if you could teleport over the hedges to be able to loot the corpses