should i alter this weapon?

Name says it all
nocturne7saint
Elder Scribe

should i alter this weapon?

Post by nocturne7saint »

So Is this weapon worth putting a spell channel deed, and making one handed so I can wear a shield or a relayer in the other hand?
blackstone from the ILV guild
Zanzi
Elder Scribe

Re: should i alter this weapon?

Post by Zanzi »

Not worth it. Save your EDs for better weapon
nocturne7saint
Elder Scribe

Post by nocturne7saint »

Zanzi wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:11 pm
Not worth it. Save your EDs for better weapon
so If i was looking for a better axe or halberd, what stats would i be wanting on them? for the same purpose as this weapon to be used in champs.
blackstone from the ILV guild
Dirtybook
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Dirtybook »

To be honest, I would not ask this question to the open forums. Most players here will tell you the socially convenient way to play on UO. However, I would tell you different. I often scout the player vendors in search of a deal, or a cheaply priced rare that might not be there the next day. (I bargain shop like a fat kid in a penny candy store.) I can personally tell you, that the stats on your weapon typically get priced for 90+ EDs. Sometimes weapons with 2 leeches, 2 direct hit spells (Fireball Harm, ect), and have no hit area effect, and are level 100, tend to sale for 100+ EDs (I cannot imagine why though...)

The main reason I say you should not ask this kind of question here, is a very simple set of understandings. This is a video game, explore, play any way you wish, and also keep in mind, you don't need a top of the line weapon, in order to kill everything in the game. Though people would argue the stronger the weapon, the faster you kill.. This is true, but it does not change the respawn timer of what you just killed, or speed it up. Ever seen a monster respawn seconds after you killed it? That is because it is on a cycle timer, not a total reset timer. So killing it faster, doesn't do much.

The "Dogma of the Day" is to tell people on this server what, when, and how to play. However, in reality, you could be successful on UOEX, playing virtually any way you wish. If you're looking to be socially accepted, stick with what you are told when it comes to weapons, gear, and Yumi's, and run to 220 Dex as fast as humanly possible. However, keep in mind, that other than gear improvements over time, no matter how you play, your wealth will gradually increase. (The longer you play, the more you will have. Especially after an IDoC or 2.) There is no real upkeep. (Unless you worry about the costs of Bandages and Arrows/Bolts.)

Keep something else in mind to. When it comes to how fast you want to climb on this server, you will hit the inevitable "Wall". Where you will grind yourself bored, or resort to pushing a button to gold farm daily (and end up not really doing much else in the game), or you will open your wallet and donate. Because no matter how much you play, and how good you gear up, and no matter how much you listen to the advisements of other players on how/what is the best way to gain on this server, it will never be enough, and you will never catch up to the gold farmers, or the consistent donators.
(Basically, if you wish to catch up to the top players/vets, don't push to hard, you will only get frustrated.)

I feel you should just "Play", donate if you want to get ahead a little faster, play when and how you want, but by all means, don't turn it into a job. Making it a job, sucks the enjoyment away from the experience of just enjoying Ultima. (I see the frustration of many players who have come and gone because of it.)

As for your weapon, I've put a Spell Channeling Deed and a Self Repair 5 Deed on a Blaze of Death, and I never had any regret over it. I did however find a better weapon to use, so I retired it, and never made it 1 Handed. (I would have made it 1 Handed, if I didn't find some thing more to my liking.) I won't try selling it at any point. I see it as a souvenir, and good times to be remembered when I was using it. Just keep in mind, Gold, and EDs aren't that hard to hunt or donate for. You will get more over time. Also, in the years I've been here, I have seen players who did make there BoD 1 Handed, if that helps any.
Turnabout
Elder Scribe

Post by Turnabout »

The rules are simple. I'm taking in count a level 100 weapon.

0) first of all... I want to help people to avoid mistakes and maximize the benefits after spending their hard earned money.

1) looted: 3 direct damage, mana leech, lower defense and +20 SDI.

2) crafted: exceptional (+20%base_dmg) craft with two direct damage and mana leech are mandatory stats, +20 SDI if you can, lower def if you can.

3) area hit: the two weapon above can have an area hit if you are very lucky with your drop/craft. For single target weapons the area hit is a personal preference, for WW weapons is a must.

4) auction weapons or weapons modified with auction deeds follow completely different rules. To get into this kind of "project" is better to know how the damage is calculated, how combat mechanics works, how many kind of deeds are sold on auctions and how to get the max from them... and you need to be rich, very rich :worried: .

Period.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Part two: if you don't want to read the wall of text read underlined parts.

Now I want to talk about the 1H weapon obsession that hits a lot of new players on this shard. This send me back to point "0)": maximize the investment.

My next concern about investments is about the 2 handed weapons relayered into 1 handed weapons. But before i need to do a premise: what happens to block rate with bushido and parry maxed? I see a lot of people with poor gear investing money into relayering their 2 handed into a 1 handed weapon because they believe that a shield gives more "defense". At the same time i see people scared to level bushido because doing this the parry chance will drop. Both statements are wrong. Worse: if you keep bushido low you sacrifice WW damage. With a 2 handed weapon or a 1handed + shield you will parry the same exact amount of times. Tested! Remember: bushido 120 parry 130, both maxed. There's no reason to use a 1H weapon without shield. The test is pretty easy to do since the parry animation can't be unnoticed. Remove you DCI (full evasion) let a mob hit you 100 times and count the number of times you get damaged and the times you parries. Ignore evasions (you see no damage and no parry animation in this case).

Now that you know how bushido and parry interact on UOEX let's go back to our main issue. The investment... the 1h relayer should be the last one, because you pay 1K ED (500ED to make the weapon 1h and 500 ed for the shield relayer) just to get the stats of 1 relayer. Let me reformulate: you pay 1000ED to gain 20HP/20SDI/half regens/half resistances/8 dex-str/16 sta, and so on, instead of 40HP/40SDI/double regens/double resistances/16 dex-str/32 sta. When you have no more slots to fill with relayers the idea of relayering the shield slot starts to make sense.

In conclusion if you know what I'm talking about and even then you prefer to build your set in a different way, maybe for the aesthetics, maybe because you like to roleplay.... remember: I'm not judging your playing style, I'm just trying to help new players to make their decision fully aware of the possibilities offered by the shard.
The Skilled Image.